Makita 18v chainsaw vs Gas chainsaw

Just wondering(not planing on buying one any time soon) How does the makita 18v (the one that takes two batteries) chainsaw compare to a "mid-range" stihl chainsaw. it would only be used a few times a year, and my Dad already has the the makita 18v line

ChrisK is the only person I know of that has the Makita, not sure if his is 18v x 2 or not. If you are not going to be using it that often I would think it would be fine. I'm also a big fan of Stihl chainsaws. If you are doing much cutting the Stihl is probably the way to go since you don't have to wait to charge your batteries. Plus if you need a bigger bar length the Makita is fairly limited.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would go with the Makita if your only using it a few times a year. Unless you use truefuel in you gas saw a good chance it work work when you need it because of bad gas or a gummed up carb.  If you have a good Sawzall if you use pruning blade you can trim up trees pretty good.

I've sold alot of those saws :) its very strong, very torquey. You really have to push it hard to get it to stall so no problem in the power departement. 

Standard is is available with a 25 or 30 cm blade.

If you know how to let the tool do the work instead of forcing it , it will run a 35cm blade with no problem.

1 thing you  have to be aware of.....  A battery powered chainsaw, although powerfull, dont have a gast chain speed. 

Theres a difference between power and cutting speed.  The battery powered Makita aint as fast like a gas chainsaw but it does have the power. 

Slower but steady ;)

If you decide on a gas saw anyway. The Makita/dolmar EA4300 gas saw offers ALOT more bang for its money then anything stihl can put up at that pricepoint. Stihl makers good pro saws. They're home owner range is lacking.

• Like 1

No doubt in the difference between gas and battery powered. I wanted to add one more thing. Last fall, my wife and mother in law and I headed out into the woods behind my mother in laws house to clear out some old horse trails for my wife and he mom. I brought my Makita on my Can Am and set to work for a couple of hours. I did almost drain the batteries but I took down several 6"-8" trees and some really large branches and worked the saw pretty hard. I have a small property so going out and buying a Husky wasn't worth it to me but this little saw does amazing stuff! Highly highly recommend it!

• Like 2

It all depends on what it will be used for. Personally, I would never buy anything but a Stihl chainsaw but that is because I use chainsaws all the time. If you are only going to use it a few times a year you can either get the Makita or you can get a smaller gas powered chainsaw. The Stihl MS 170 ( Great saw buy the way....I have two of them) is only $170, I believe. It has a 16" bar weighs only about 10 pounds with the bar and chain and is a beast. I have never had a problem with any Stihl product. In my eyes, it really just depends on 3 main things.

1. What will you be cutting. (trimming,felling trees, cutting firewood etc.)

2. How big is the wood you are cutting.

3. How often will you be using it.

Ask yourself those three questions and see which you feel more comfortable with. I have never used a battery powered chainsaw but I can tell you that you will not be disappointed with a Stihl. Hope this helps, let us know what you go with.

• Like 2

Thanks! I wasn't accualy planning on buying one, was in the hardware store and saw the cordless chainsaw (and a makita 18v coffee maker!) and was curios on how it would stack up to a gas one. But i will remember this if i ever do buy one! :D     ok, correction, maybe i am planing on buying one, lol

• 5 months later...
On 23/5/2016 at 7:48 AM, ChrisK said:

Hey guys, just saw this! I've got the X2. Awesome machine!

Thanks for the videos ChrisK, but why are your videos marked as hidden so nobody can find and watch them on YouTube without a direct link?

What's your impressions of the Bosch 12V FL12B / 10.8V GLI DeciLED worklight you use in this video? Have you done a video on this worklight too?

• 1 month later...
If it is still relevant: Makita has a new dual 18v chainsaw duc353 coming out.  Alor faster, stronger and longer lasting [emoji4]

I love the battery positions on that saw, I know it's probably silly but I would assume provides better balance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

I love the battery positions on that saw, I know it's probably silly but I would assume provides better balance

I think the balance improvement for the saw is more the location of the rear handle. I have the current x2 flavor and the front side handle and the rear one are just too close together. I will definitely be looking at the new model when it shows up here in the states.

7 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything but silly. The right balance is probably alot more important then about of extra power or such :)

A power tool needs to feel right :D