Restore dining room table set

JimboS1ice

Picked up table, 2 leafs and 5 chairs for 45 bucks at garage sale, great quality just needs love

5d2c6a358ffd3716ed3121b4d5f48e55.jpg

Other chairs are on their way lol

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does this look familiar? Lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

It will be fun Jimbo. I've refinished and restored 3 or 4 dining room tables and chairs. Those legs will take some time to strip well, just be patient.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

You mean mega patience? Lol

Jimbo

• Like 2

Wondering what I got myself into, good price great quality and good shape other than the finish

Jimbo

Sounds about right. My chairs were decent enough quality and came apart easily. I don't think my table is worth finishing though....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

One word: TEDIOUS! 

Those look like much nicer chairs than mine, but I had some nice wood to use as new seats, so that was a big deciding factor on the restoration process.

Too bad you can't pull it completely apart and spin the legs on a lathe to make sanding easier....

Looking very nice so far! Next step: A full out chrisk basement shop conversion!!!

• Like 2

One word: TEDIOUS! 

Those look like much nicer chairs than mine, but I had some nice wood to use as new seats, so that was a big deciding factor on the restoration process.

Too bad you can't pull it completely apart and spin the legs on a lathe to make sanding easier....

Looking very nice so far! Next step: A full out chrisk basement shop conversion!!!

Yea I pulled the bottom rungs off but they way these are assembled I would probably do more harm than good, sucks but for a solid oak dining room set that will all done cost around 100 bucks? I'll deal with the tedious lol

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Yea I pulled the bottom rungs off but they way these are assembled I would probably do more harm than good, sucks but for a solid oak dining room set that will all done cost around 100 bucks? I'll deal with the tedious lol

Jimbo

Jimbo, what are you using to strip the old stain off of the wood? That stripped chair looks cleaner than new!

Jimbo, what are you using to strip the old stain off of the wood? That stripped chair looks cleaner than new!

Just sandpaper, so far just doing it but hand, my OMT, and ROS

Jimbo

I can not believe that you got them to that level just by hand sanding. Beautiful wood Jimbo. They are in great shape, do you have a color stain picked out yet?

Thank you sir, trying to avoid stripper but might need to for the bottom rungs... Kind of split on a stain color, I like a golden mahogany, she likes a shade or two lighter, nothing too red though

Jimbo

• Like 1

That is alot of work!!

I'm not sure I would have the patience to sand all of that finish off like your doing without some sort of wood stripper first.

Nice job!! 

Me neither lol

Jimbo

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...