broken tough system boxes

mohawkdec

23 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

I got rid of my tough boxes after driving a hundred miles down a gravel road with my tool boxes in the bed. When I opened the large tool box it was completely full of dust.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Interesting. The local store here in town had the system on sale ( not much of a sale) and I was thinking about purchasing it. I didn't really even consider how well it is sealed in terms of debris getting into the boxes. Not sure if Milwaukee's new boxes have a similar design in terms of how well they close?

Hopefully you guys realize the gaskets are friction fit and can be pulled out and adjusted. I have a few boxes that aren't tight but the two I have in my truck tool box for years are dust free inside, while the rest of the truck box gets a pile of dust on everything. 

Hopefully you guys realize the gaskets are friction fit and can be pulled out and adjusted. I have a few boxes that aren't tight but the two I have in my truck tool box for years are dust free inside, while the rest of the truck box gets a pile of dust on everything. 

I think that in my case, the seal was just too small. Once it was in the channel, it wasn't protruding out far enough to seal.
Like the foam bead was slightly too small.
It was probably just a bad design or wrongly sized gasket.
I have the same issue with my Milwaukee box. The seal isn't tight all the way around the box. The Milwaukee box flexes so easily that even if you do have a continuous seal, if the bottom is uneven, you get gaps.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Odd. I used to do 300-400 miles a day when I was doing the service thing and never had a problem with any of my boxes, Ridgid or DeWalt and a good portion of it was off-road. I run a sixteen hour shift now and at least 8 of that is driving off road and my new DeWalt organizers (not toughsystem ones) haven't gotten any dust in them. Must just be lucky.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have tips for replacing the latches?  I've tried a few times with minimal success.  They tend to snap on me when I push them in.  I even tried warming them up with a blow drier to soften the plastic but it still snapped.  I'm not sure what else to do and Dewalt won't give me any instructions or tips.  They just said to go to youtube, but I didn't have luck.

• 6 months later...

Would any of you guys be interested in buying replica metal pin latches if I were to make them? Obviously if you live outside of the UK you would have to pay shipping but I would sell them for around $3.50 each. Putting the feelers out. They will be tested before hand via some dropping of and heavy weighted tests.

Thanks and look forward to the feedback

Hi

I have replaced many

Does anyone have tips for replacing the latches?  I'

usa a heat gun for 1 minute, till the latch is good warm

then they are eays to pry out

call dewalt service, mot of the time they will be replaced for free; shipping is always free

I started out with: " seems like a design flaw, they break often; right now just need three sets"

by the way, they did replaces all the latches to latch with metal pin; on both the tough system and tstak boxes

cheers

• 4 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread but has anyone been able to replace the latch? I bought 6 latches, and I already broke 1 trying to insert it. If  I boil it first, will that soften the plastic and make it more malleable? Gonna try this this week but just wondering if there's a better way.

I'm talking about the yellow latches that are on the sides.

latch.jpg

• Like 1

The picture is of a tstak box. Are you talking about tough system or tstak? I just wanted to clarify because you posted a picture of ststak box in a tough system thread. I don’t know how they are supposed to be replaced but I know you can buy some latches with a metal pin. Those are what I would recommend using. As for installation, contracting a DeWALT service technician to give you the recommended way of installing them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 6:36 PM, Jronman said:

The picture is of a tstak box. Are you talking about tough system or tstak? I just wanted to clarify because you posted a picture of ststak box in a tough system thread. I don’t know how they are supposed to be replaced but I know you can buy some latches with a metal pin. Those are what I would recommend using. As for installation, contracting a DeWALT service technician to give you the recommended way of installing them.

Sorry about that. The latches looked the same so I posted it here. I have TSTAKs and 5 latches broke when the TSTAK tipped over.

I'll look for latches with metal pins. If anyone has a link, then I'd appreciate that too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2020 at 11:59 AM, Jronman said:

@onstar You could call or email DeWALT themselves to get the updated latches, and you could also ask about instalation.

I tried calling them. No help. Anyway, I figured it out. And boiling does nothing.

1. Insert one end in the closed position. Shove all the way in until the entire yellow side touches the black side (flush).

2. Slide the other side down until it goes in. It is angled, so sliding down isn't too hard.

3. When you open up the latch, the first side will pop up out a little automatically so that the latch will be centered.

This is the same for both tstak and tough system.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old post but for durability the AEG boxes are half the price of Milwaukee and DeWalt and twice as strong. I abuse the hell out of them and they are still mechanically perfect. Anyone considering tool boxes I highly recommend them. The latches that lock the boxes together are super strong, as is the main handle and case itself. 

I know this is an old post but for durability the AEG boxes are half the price of Milwaukee and DeWalt and twice as strong. I abuse the hell out of them and they are still mechanically perfect. Anyone considering tool boxes I highly recommend them. The latches that lock the boxes together are super strong, as is the main handle and case itself. 

I can’t even find anything by that name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/8/2020 at 9:42 AM, paulengr said:

I can’t even find anything by that name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think our AEG is your Rigid? This is the brand I'm talking about:

https://www.aegpowertools.com.au/power-tools/products/details/quickstack-organiser-aeg-proorg?list=all_products&list_name=All+Products

Owned by Milwaukee I believe, I've been told their factory is literally opposite Milwaukee's in China and most components are the same. They are mid-ranged priced tools, although some are just as expensive as DeWalt and Milwaukee now with the difference being that you get a 5y replacement warranty on the tools. You can walk into the reseller (Bunnings exclusive) 4 years and 11 months later with the broken tool and you walk out with the same or new equivalent tool no questions asked. It's a reason why they have become popular because of the replacement warranty as opposed to having to send tools off etc.

Imo they are the most underrated tool here and are often bagged solely because our big warehouse Bunnings sell them and smaller trade tool centers do not.

I just checked. The company is TTI.

They own Milwaukee, AEG, Empire. They make Ryobi which is strictly a Home Depot house brand so I’m not sure if they own it or just have the contract. So AEG boxes if they share designs should be the same as Milwaukee.

Emerson owns Ridgid. Ridgid is independent. You can only buy some items at Home Depot but for instance most plumbing distributors carry Ridgid brand pipe wrenches and they make the RE-6 cutter/crimper/expander which is similar to the Greenlee which Emerson also owns. They sell Ridgid branded boxes that are clearly different from Milwaukee, Bosch, or Dewalt/Craftsman.

HOWEVER just to confuse things TTI also develops and makes Ridgid power tools under licensing with Emerson. They don’t make boxes which would be Emerson. So it makes sense that the Ridgid building is right next to Milwaukee but no reason to expect the tool boxes from there,

That's right I forgot they were owned by TTI which is probably the biggest home/commercial tool related company globally I would imagine. Bunnings also exclusively sell Ryobi so that makes sense also. To confuse things even more, tti hand tools can be found at total tools so I would imagine they are made/owned by TTi? I've never looked into it but the quality/price is quite reasonable being around half the cost of sidchrome tools etc.

From memory when I posted photos of the boxes in here they were made in Israel I think..

TTI is a little smaller than SBD but not by much. It’s a little hard to gauge some of them like Chervon (Fluke owner) or Emerson because they are not pure tool companies. Another big name is Apex Tool Group but they are a shell of what they once were. They were in deep with Sears among others and when the retailers went to China ATG was left for dead.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

It is a bit difficult, put one of the pin ends in the hole and then bend the middle of the hole plastic up (gently) and push the other pin in place. they are a bit flexible, the new version has two metal pins it seems, easier to change, which versions have you got?!

Old Version.jpg

New Version.jpg