Home Door/Lock Security?

olletsocmit

Also using these are a good idea on wooden doors ac0ac3823f1773d7c322523f403efc2b.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what I'm looking at. If I remember right, you're in a different country than I, so many things are different from place to place, these like a safe bolt system?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I thought I would start this thread b/c it could be used by everyone who has a house/apartment. Does anyone have suggestions on this topic. For example using 3" screws on the Jams instead of the 1" little ones that come with the hinges....

Yeah, I always use longer and thicker screws, that will reach into the stud walls. And deadbolts, can't rely on the latch. Lately there have been some crazy break ins around here. I'm in the country and had the next door robbed right under our noses. I'd like to think the precautions I take would keep a more stable individual out, the completely desperate will probably get in somehow, regardless of how well I can secure my house within my budget

I'm not sure what I'm looking at. If I remember right, you're in a different country than I, so many things are different from place to place, these like a safe bolt system?

Yeah what you do with these is you put them on the hinge side of the door you drill into the door and screw the bolt into the door then put the plate with the hole in on the frame and when the door closes the bolt - stud goes in to the frame for extra security in case anyone tries baring on the Hinge side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Anybody heard of a dead bolt type of lock that has a door knob on the outside and the typical dead bolt turn on the inside? We had a security steel screen door installed and they screwed up and did an inside mount and now we can't find a door knob that won't hit the entry door when you close the security door. Major screw up by this company. They ended up taking 400 bucks off the price and just putting two dead bolts on the door for now. There is about 2.4 inches of clearance between the doors and can't  find a set up that will work so far. 

Interesting concept for the hinge side, but like KnarlyCarl said, if someone wants in bad enough, they will get in. Unless your budget for security measures is way higher than most folks. Screws that reach to solid wood do help deter the less determined. Like they say, the one they consider the least risk and hassle will be the one they pick to hit.