junk tools

rought

4 minutes ago, HiltiWpg said:

A little bit! Mostly from science deniers who think Facebook memes are more credible than educated professionals!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Speaking of hilti I snapped a chisel bit yesterday with an Te 3000 avr I've never had that happen to me.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bremon said:

And just in case Milwaukee downgraded the 2706 from the 2704:

IMG_2780.PNG

People actually pay attention to the rated bit sizes?  I always assumed they were made up and trusted my own poor judgement.

45 minutes ago, pancing said:

Yeah sorry dude, I worked as a repair tech at home depot for 4 years or so, If I was the tech and I opened your tools up and I saw all that, I would defintely say you killed it with the dust and I would jot down a reason code being customer neglect aka normal wear and tear. After opening up many many milwaukee tools they are not meant to deflect dust or have dust run through them, in fact No tool would survive the abuse you put that thing through I'm putting this to you straight man, As someone that's seen this thousands of times taking shit apart and putting it back together, if you're working with drywall every day, day in and day out you're better off using a roto zip, or something similar, not to bust your balls but tool manufacturers just dont make shit last forever, you went through the tool's intended life, to milwaukee, you got what you paid for.

That is complete BS.  I've opened plenty of tools that looked much worse and were working or failed from something non-dust-related.  If you take dust control super seriously on the jobsite maybe all your festools will look as clean as off the assembly line but on a normal jobsite the vents suck in dust period. /rant

1 minute ago, jeffmcmillan said:

People actually pay attention to the rated bit sizes?  I always assumed they were made up and trusted my own poor judgement.

That is complete BS.  I've opened plenty of tools that looked much worse and were working or failed from something non-dust-related.  If you take dust control super seriously on the jobsite maybe all your festools will look as clean as off the assembly line but on a normal jobsite the vents suck in dust period. /rant

I don't know what to tell you man, I dissected thousands of drills, sawzalls oddly enough thats the majority of the small tools I've worked on. 90% of the time I've failed a tool for warranty is if there was a massive collection of dust, its just in the script and from what I've seen and done a tool has failed because of dust and debris. ALso what about festool i dont even have any

1 hour ago, HiltiWpg said:

I appreciate you posting the manual but I choose to believe my feelings and hearsay over factual evidence.
I feel it is more likely a billion dollar company made a mistake in the manual then the likelyhood a tool reviewer made a mistake.

In case it wasn't clear, my opinion is that both the manual and the guy with the leaky gearbox made a mistake. I don't feel the 2704 should be used with 5/8" masonry bits. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JerryNY said:

Well Milwaukee has good reason to keep the ratings low for hole saw diameter. Firstly for warranty claims obviously but secondly if you drill lots of big holes they have a nice Hole Hawg to sell you. I still think it's crazy the big ass Hawg is only rated for 4" holes and you need the even bigger Super Hawg for 6". I think they are way conservative on those models though. My fuel 2 hammer drill worked fine for a 6.5" hole but it did get hot and I wouldn't make a habit of doing such big holes with a smallish drill. 

I think the problem with the hole Hawg is it's single speed. If it had low gear it would be much more capable but it's basically aimed at people who want 7/8" or 1" holes with an auger bit all day every day lol. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JerryNY said:

Wait... you disassembled both the old and new tools and swapped the innards to return the new tools with the worn out parts? Setting aside the moral and legal issues you can't judge a tool completely accurately if you're cracking them open and swapping things around. I've never had an issue with HD taking back anything within the 90 days including power tools,  that failed and swapped them for new ones, never had it happen with a Milwaukee tool though. 

I would have just cleaned up the tools and did a straight return or exchange. I'm not sure why this is an issue for you.

I didn't know that.. they gave me crap about returning the one I bot a few days before..I did see the 90 days on my new Makita stuff.. if they had that back then I didn't know about it.

I will take apart a dead Fuel impact  drill today and see why it failed...I used it for about 4 month before it died ..

Edited by rought
mistake

On 10/17/2016 at 7:13 PM, JerryNY said:

One thing to mention that I do with ALL MY TOOLS, especially when cutting PVC trim which becomes a static holy mess all over, is at the end of the day I usually blast things with a blower. I hate dust and grunge building up on my tools but maybe that's just me ;)

Do yourself a favor pick up a can of static guard and spray your tools and cloths down before you start working with PVC it works wonders.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rought said:

I cant figure out why the impact drill is dead.. motor looks good but all the connectors are enclosed in epoxy ..

impact drill.jpg

impact motor.jpg

dead hammer drill.jpg

I can't figure out why you don't go to Milwaukee direct with warranty issues, the first time a company denies me of a dead tool within it's warranty time frame will be the last time.....I've been around power tools corded and or otherwise to know how to treat them if it dies chances are it won't be my fault and there will be nobody that says otherwise........

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, regopit said:

Do yourself a favor pick up a can of static guard and spray your tools and cloths down before you start working with PVC it works wonders.

Lol. Where were you the week I spent doing the trim outside my house! I'll have to try that next time.

20 minutes ago, rought said:

I cant figure out why the impact drill is dead.. motor looks good but all the connectors are enclosed in epoxy ..

Are you sure it's not the trigger? Triggers are often the weak link in modern tools as they usually are a tiny microswitch. If you have a multimeter you could test the windings etc to see if there is something going on there.

2nd the switch/trigger.

Brushless tools rely too heavily on electronics. It's the Achilles heel.
For the abuse you are heaping on your tools, go back to brushed. Much easier to fix and less delicate. Brushed 4 pole stuff like Hilti, Ridgid and Makita has equivalent torque to most brushless.
4 poles dramatically reduce losses through the commutator, battery life and torque are very similar to brushless too.

This is a very inexpensive option:
https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XDT11Z

1 hour ago, JerryNY said:

Are you sure it's not the trigger? Triggers are often the weak link in modern tools as they usually are a tiny microswitch. If you have a multimeter you could test the windings etc to see if there is something going on there.

I've had to send in one impact(second hand, lightly used) for a faulty trigger. Mind you I have 10 impacts and drills between my m12 and m18 tools

15 hours ago, JerryNY said:

I cant get to the then everything is covered in epoxy. that was what i had planned to do

qoute( I can't figure out why you don't go to Milwaukee direct with warranty issues, the first time a company denies me of a dead tool within it's warranty time frame will be the last time.....I've been around power tools corded and or otherwise to know how to treat them if it dies chances are it won't be my fault and there will be nobody that says otherwise... )

because even if i did get them repaired they don't last long enough to be worth it.. i cant send them back in every few month to get repaired..i just want a tool i can trust that lasts...i have lost all my faith in Milwaukee to the point were.. its not even worth getting repairs..cutting my losses.. and trying to warn other not to make this same mistake.

14 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

2nd the switch/trigger.

Brushless tools rely too heavily on electronics. It's the Achilles heel.
For the abuse you are heaping on your tools, go back to brushed. Much easier to fix and less delicate. Brushed 4 pole stuff like Hilti, Ridgid and Makita has equivalent torque to most brushless.
4 poles dramatically reduce losses through the commutator, battery life and torque are very similar to brushless too.

This is a very inexpensive option:
https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/XDT11Z

i already got that inexpensive option and am very happy. thanks..

i dont think it is the trigger because the 3 power setting just above the battery dont even light up..they used to without pressing the trigger....it could be trigger but doubt it..

1 hour ago, rought said:

qoute( I can't figure out why you don't go to Milwaukee direct with warranty issues, the first time a company denies me of a dead tool within it's warranty time frame will be the last time.....I've been around power tools corded and or otherwise to know how to treat them if it dies chances are it won't be my fault and there will be nobody that says otherwise... )

because even if i did get them repaired they don't last long enough to be worth it.. i cant send them back in every few month to get repaired..i just want a tool i can trust that lasts...i have lost all my faith in Milwaukee to the point were.. its not even worth getting repairs..cutting my losses.. and trying to warn other not to make this same mistake.

I'm happy to say that I really have never had your experience with either Milwaukee tools or with their repair service.  I'm not sure what sort of bad red tool mojo you've got going on, but it sounds most unfortunate.

7 hours ago, khariV said:

I'm happy to say that I really have never had your experience with either Milwaukee tools or with their repair service.  I'm not sure what sort of bad red tool mojo you've got going on, but it sounds most unfortunate.

Most unfortunate...

09_34385_0_LemonySnicketsASeriesOfUnfort

If you are using compressed air to dust out your power tools at any time, you should never do so while the tool is running. Doing so while running a power tool of any type will accelerate the wear and tear on components by a large factor, especially one with brushes. This includes running compressed air through a tool in a manner that causes the armature to spin. Also limiting the air pressure when dusting out a tool can be a good idea as well. Many tools use shielded bearings instead of sealed, and high pressure air can force dust and debris into those bearings, shortening the life.

• Like 1