My main bathroom remodel

rrich1

Well yesterday I started the demo of our hallway bath. I got the toilet, vanity, and flooring out. The flooring had tile, cement board, and under that was linoleum. The wood panels have black around the tub and the toilet so it looks like I need to replace those sections. I was hoping to have my dumpster here yesterday but it didn't arrive. Hopefully today.

The plan for today is to get the tub out and plumbed. Also take out the ceiling and possibly getting it replaced. It would be a good day if I got that far as I have blown in insulation in the attic so it needs to be moved first.

Yesterday I also go more done on the vanity. I got the face frame put together as well as the slots in the doors/drawers to accept the plywood.

795ad0e704f7b81b6eed5489f4bcdb60.jpg

18cea8d548ea46789cfe0682a66cea4c.jpg

b66b0e89d834181814eae80e121005ef.jpg

7ab49beb13f51bda6dcdb4bf6f27c3a5.jpg

c11555a89076234a33c8ee6f46d69afe.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Well made some progress the last two days. My dumpster finally arrived today. Able to get the room completely gutted. I got the new shower faucet installed. Still need to put in the supports though. With the master bath next to this room I was able to switch out the drain for a new push lock one. The master tub wouldn't hold water anymore. Wife works tomorrow so I'll be home with the kids. Hopefully I can get a friend over to get the drywall in. Had to put in a pick of my new striking cap gedore to assist in knocking the old drain tub out.@KC_Tool 6991d6a5f932b19e359ef51747bd3fe6.jpg
f623c08b583efd25dd4674a011f137ad.jpg
8a15e90cfdbda0af17ffe9efb91a7a93.jpg
2870ea8a000fe447a06de6e6952a0037.jpg
bb600b76071e9449dba3747762c65ec4.jpg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Well made some progress the last two days. My dumpster finally arrived today. Able to get the room completely gutted. I got the new shower faucet installed. Still need to put in the supports though. With the master bath next to this room I was able to switch out the drain for a new push lock one. The master tub wouldn't hold water anymore. Wife works tomorrow so I'll be home with the kids. Hopefully I can get a friend over to get the drywall in. Had to put in a pick of my new striking cap gedore to assist in knocking the old drain tub out.@KC_Tool 6991d6a5f932b19e359ef51747bd3fe6.jpg
f623c08b583efd25dd4674a011f137ad.jpg
8a15e90cfdbda0af17ffe9efb91a7a93.jpg
2870ea8a000fe447a06de6e6952a0037.jpg
bb600b76071e9449dba3747762c65ec4.jpg

That looks like tons of fun!!!  Man I wish I could come help.  Love those gedore's getting some love!  Can't wait to see "after pics".  

That looks like tons of fun!!!  Man I wish I could come help.  Love those gedore's getting some love!  Can't wait to see "after pics".  

It would have been more fun if my dumpster had arrived when it should have. Was irritating not having it. I didn't want to throw everything in the garage and then clean up that mess too.

The drain I tried to cut two slots into the top and then used the screwdriver with a hammer to twist it off. Instead it punctured the fitting making a hole. I was able to finally get it off. And replaced.

The tip still looks great. The striking cap though is heavily marked and scratched. Not sure if that is normal or not.

9 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

The tip still looks great. The striking cap though is heavily marked and scratched. Not sure if that is normal or not.

Yeah... Striking caps are funny things. They do tend to show wear when used as intended, which is not always so aesthetically pleasing. You could try using a rubber mallet or a hammer with softer steel than the striking cap.  However then the hammer would get dinged up.  Catch 22... sorry man. 

Yeah... Striking caps are funny things. They do tend to show wear when used as intended, which is not always so aesthetically pleasing. You could try using a rubber mallet or a hammer with softer steel than the striking cap.  However then the hammer would get dinged up.  Catch 22... sorry man. 

It isn't a issue for me. Was more just curious. Thanks for confirming it for me.

15 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

It would have been more fun if my dumpster had arrived when it should have. Was irritating not having it. I didn't want to throw everything in the garage and then clean up that mess too.

The drain I tried to cut two slots into the top and then used the screwdriver with a hammer to twist it off. Instead it punctured the fitting making a hole. I was able to finally get it off. And replaced.

Nice thing around me for some remodels if you can bag it and place a few bags out a week the garbage men will take it. It's so nice on small jobs and saves some cash too dumpsters are expensive!! Even that waste management bagster isn't cheap

Nice thing around me for some remodels if you can bag it and place a few bags out a week the garbage men will take it. It's so nice on small jobs and saves some cash too dumpsters are expensive!! Even that waste management bagster isn't cheap

When we did our basement remodel a few years ago we out it out for the trash. I felt bad and didn't put everything out at once so I sit it up. Was just a pain. Already very happy I got the dumpster. The expense was worth it. Think it set me back $325 for a 10yrd.

Yesterday was the last of my 4 days off. I was able to get a friend to come over late in the afternoon. We were able to get the ceiling drywall up as well as one other wall. The next wall I want to drywall has the toilet with the plumbing. I think I am going to cut off the shut off valve and replace it with a shark bite valve. That way I can take it off easily if needed. I will also get them for the sink as well. 

I really wanted to have the drywall and cement boards up by today but that is ok. I dont feel like it is that far behind. My goal is to have it all up by the end of the month. Wife and I both work full time and two kids under 4 makes it hard sometimes to work full days. Piecing time in seems to be how it always is. My deadline to have it all done is Christmas eve. 

For the people who do this for a living, do you always use drywall adhesive when installing drywall? The ceiling didn't have it (no sagging issues that I saw) but the walls did. 

• Like 1

Today I was able to get a few pieces of drywall up. I didn't use any adhesive. My luck I would need to take a piece off for some reason and then be screwed. I also was able to get the shut off valves replaced on the tub and sink with shark bite valves.

Good progress today. I had a friend come over and we were able to get most of the drywall up. We were able to get the tub drain into its position but I forgot to put adhesive on the tub feet. At this time we are not using mortar under the tub. The tub is basically completely level. The mortar i had bought to put underneath, I called the manufacturer to double check if it was the right stuff and she had no idea what I was even talking about. So she was clueless and no help. with the tub it I don't feel any flex. The Lyons tub we got has 6 feet and super ridgid.

We were able to also get some cement board up as well above the tub.

In the next week I want the niche built and the rest of the drywall and cement board up. Next will be fixing the plywood by the toilet flange. Mudding after that and then to tile.

• Like 1

got the rest of the drywall around the door done and the filler piece of cement board on the back of the tub.

I tried to get some work done on the vanity today. I am doing tongue and groove doors and I am having the worst time getting the tongue milled to the right thickness. :(

14 hours ago, rrich1 said:

got the rest of the drywall around the door done and the filler piece of cement board on the back of the tub.

I tried to get some work done on the vanity today. I am doing tongue and groove doors and I am having the worst time getting the tongue milled to the right thickness. :(

Yeah that sounds like a trick. Using a router?

I put a corner whirlpool tub in Thursday... It had about an inch of space from floor to underside of tub. This called for extra mortar

IMG_20161027_111744623

IMG_20161027_112416256

IMG_20161027_125615531_HDR

This tub barely squeezed in here. They wanted it put in, then they want to run the tile up to the tub, that's backwards thinking in my book... This place is just rediculous, it's a owner builder and nothing went smooth on this job, so many change orders, he should have got a proper general contractor. 

Of course there had to be a joist right under the drain and over flow, so hello offset piping

IMG_20161027_160956021

• Like 2

Basically nothing done today before work. I went I to town to return a few things for the remodel. Came home and did my first yard cleanup for the fall. I did get the supports for the shower tub fixtures up. They are not fastened down yet though. This new schedule of working at 3 really kills my working time at home.

• Like 1

Got a decent bit in before work this afternoon. I got the shower fixtures in line and screwed down . The cement board and drywall on that wall as well. I cut the hole for the niche as well. I am trying to get it all matched out so it aligns with the grout line but I doubt I will end up being that lucky. Should I not even worry about it? Im trying to limit my cuts on the tile. Anyways, here are pics to show where it is at.

abff00fa36aafd54f286ae951cb4fafa.jpg
d639e13e4af4db8500ca7fc1fed2a361.jpg
29d129f59cd72a76e7bd8bf3e4cd81f5.jpg

• Like 2