My main bathroom remodel

rrich1

my sons are 27 and 24. yours are still young. mine should know better.

lines................ depends. i spent alot of time on both baths with the soffits, so i would have an unbroken line and uncut tiles, from floor to ceiling, along the outside edge of the tub, front and back. upstairs i was dead nutz on. this one, im a little out in the back. dont know how, everything is square. i dont think it will that that noticeable.

I mathed out where the lines should be for the grout and cut out and installed the horizontal pieces in the wall for the niche. My luck I will be ever so slightly off. I think I am going to cut out where I made the niche and get the cement board in. Then I can waterproof that area. I think it will come out just fine.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I love it, that's so awesome you're building your vanity. I built all my kitchen cabinets, I'm realizing now I didn't take enough pictures, because I can't remember how I put together half of them ha

Love the centipede!!

Thanks. We need a kitchen remodel and I would love to build the kitchen cabinets as well. I think I could justify a track saw purchase then! Lol.

I purchased the centipede just for this job. Been very pleased with it so far.

I used to take a lot of pics it have been slacking on that lately. I will get some more.

Depending on how getting the lighting placing figured out I will try and get a coat of primer on the ceiling tomorrow.

• Like 1

Between yesterday and today. I got the ceiling lights measured out and cut. I put a coat of primer on the ceiling. I measured and cut the ditra for the floor but am 2 feet short! Crap! I texted a friend who does tile work and he didn't have any extra so that means I get to spend $80 on another roll. The only good thing about it is that whenever we redo our master bath the rest of that roll will cover it or when I redo the kitchen I can use it in there. Still irritating.

I was also able to get some major work done on the vanity. I think I am going to start a separate build thread in the woodworking forum. I got the lower shelf measured and cut out. I attached the sides and went ahead and stained the plywood shelf.

4a1aedb0790fc264407b3e63e4f2558e.jpgbd3257edd066c18a7483265c122749f1.jpg

• Like 3

Today I after the kids went with the sister in law I was able to cut the niche out and the back piece cut before I had to go to work. After work I was able to get the vanity prepped (pre stain) and then stained. I guess I'm at the point of no return huh? I definitely want to make some stuff out of cherry in the future with no stain. I like the ebony a lot though. You can see the grain throughout and it looks really nice. I believe it will darken as time goes on and that is fine.

f717265612e235b71882695fa776a4b0.jpg
6f367ae578bfab06723c824d9a72ef0e.jpg

• Like 3

Just seeing the transformation of that color on the vanity is awesome, I can already picture it in a bathroom and it's looks incredible in my head lol, hope it turns out like you want.

I made a piece in my teens and experimented with vinegar and steel wool, THAT was some dark stain, it was so much fun watching the transformation take place

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Just seeing the transformation of that color on the vanity is awesome, I can already picture it in a bathroom and it's looks incredible in my head lol, hope it turns out like you want.

I made a piece in my teens and experimented with vinegar and steel wool, THAT was some dark stain, it was so much fun watching the transformation take place

I really like the vanity so far. im surprising myself on how well it is turning out so far. lol.

• Like 3

last night after work I started to waterproof the tub area. While starting to waterproof the niche, I may have made a mistake with it. I tried to make it a large size and I may have made it too close to the edge of the tub. ill post some pics and tell me what you think. also with it so close I might change up the design of the bullnose a little bit. the original plan was to stop the bullnose at the edge of the tub to keep one straight line up. now I am thinking I should put one whole bullnose tile in front of the tub and run that straight up to the celing. what do you guys think?

• Like 1

Talked with a friend who tiles for a living. He didn't seem to think it was an issue. I got the niche coated I put a second coat on the rest last night after I worked on my router table.

Still on schedule to start tiling tomorrow eek! [emoji33]

• Like 1

Gotta get a full new roll huh?

So you think just the bullnose pieces straight up from the edge of the tub will slip by the niche pretty nice? It's probably going to look great either way but if you take it another row past the tub edge, take it all the way down to the floor probably

Gotta get a full new roll huh?

So you think just the bullnose pieces straight up from the edge of the tub will slip by the niche pretty nice? It's probably going to look great either way but if you take it another row past the tub edge, take it all the way down to the floor probably

Yup. Got a whole new roll for that. Luckily my brother in law is redoing a room and will start with my roll and pay me for it.

The bull nose would be cut thin if it went straight up from the tub end at the much area. The new plan is to go all the way to the edge of that wall and match it on the other side.

Tiling progress so far. Will finish it up tomorrow. I have a few low spots [emoji35]
b286f42974d95a2e332428b1106ff63e.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah with that lighting, it really shows the shadows where the low pieces are

The few front pieces aren't in in that pic. Also some of those dark spots actually aren't low/high. Not as many as it makes it out to be.

I got the tiling finished before work today. I also got the drawers cut out and pieces cut for my router fence as well. Going to make it pretty basic right now and modify it later to make it more modular.

• Like 1

this past weekend my neighbor came by and rewired the electrical for me. I wanted to have the ceiling painted before the lights went in but that was a no go. I had put painters tape on the ceiling after I primed it so I wouldn't get any of the redguard on the ceiling when I waterproofed the tub area. well that ripped the top layer of the drywall off. so I had to mud that. I got it primed last night and will paint it with ceiling paint tonight.

the floor tile is all laid down but I am going to tear a piece up. it is low and right in the center. I have another low spot but that is under the vanity so I don't care about that one.

plan/goal is to tile the tub area wed/thurs this week. if I get that done it is all home stretch from there. I made a fence for the router table so I can get the drawers cut when I dial the bit in.

Didn't get nearly as much done as I wanted to this week. I had to take the wife to the hospital for a scheduled procedure so that took up some time. Getting the tub tile laid out was irritating for some reason and tool longer as well. Tomorrow before work I hope to have one more row of tile up plus the glass tile accent line up as well. I don't want to start that if I can't finish in time for work. If not I will finish up the drawers for the vanity. The drawer lock bit I can't seem to dial in right now so i am using pocket holes for the drawers. They will be hidden in the front and back so you want see them.

5a6adec6f7f286c62415efd906f4bcb6.jpg
457b5c774407536a1855065c76478e48.jpg

3rd row is up and lined up how I wanted it to with the shower niche for a nice grout line. I also got one of the tiles on each side put up in front of the tub and cut the drawer bottoms for the vanity. Tonight after work I am debating doing the glass tile so that can cure and harden so I can put up the rest of the shower tile. I added some mortar to the back to help bring it up for the glass tile. Really wish I had made the boards more level so I wouldn't be wasting so much mortar. Oh well. First timer here. I am also really bad about cleaning the tile as I go. Lol.
4e895d43ab1fcc62c1eb8bf3f771c79b.jpg
a5e825ed2f60f4135d27324fe257a671.jpg
9483d9fd34a588859479f19c8978ea30.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JimboS1ice said:

oh ya that can be fun

at work right now. I tried to get the back wall done but that just wasnt happening. I built up the wall some more with mortar and letting that dry. Hopefully it will allow the tiles to stick with less mortar to make it slide down. I did get the glass tile on for the back of the niche. 

I am in a design question with it right now though. My glass tile is in one big stripe that goes through the niche. I plan to do the top and bottom with the wall tile. But am wondering if I should do the sides in the wall tile as well or with the glass tile. Ill get a pic when I go on lunch to clarify this.