New Shop Underway....Part Deuce!

ChrisK

2 hours ago, Jronman said:

looks great. you doing a full cleated wall? or just certain things?

Just specific parts of my basement. I am planning on building a garage in the relatively near future and my shop will more likely move out to that area (bigger shop=bigger tools) so the walls are actually temporary and are not anchored to the foundation but rather pressure fit in place and anchored to the ceiling joists.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SetBuilder said:

So when should we expect New Shop Underway... Part Three?

Well.....IF.....I build the garage, part three :D

There will of course be a need for permits etc etc etc. If the garage idea falls apart or I decide to keep the basement shop, I will be adding a new floor to the shop, securing walls, insulating and adding some type of heat source. It's a wee bit cold down there right now!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisK said:

There will of course be a need for permits etc etc etc. If the garage idea falls apart or I decide to keep the basement shop, I will be adding a new floor to the shop, securing walls, insulating and adding some type of heat source. It's a wee bit cold down there right now!

I was just noticing in that video, sweatshirt, winter hat, you don't have it heated!!?? hahah gotta keep the Festool collection happy!

I see you pop that 1x against that square guide piece, the track hinges down on your mark where you need to cut, and you just pop the track saw on it and make a perfect square cut, GENIUS!! That's actually so cool, I've heard of the MFT table thing before but don't do enough of this work to pay attention to  it's capabilities.....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Part Duece Duece !!

Keep in mind ... their will be an apprentice shortly, who will need space as well .... ??

"Temporary shop" is looking great , coming along quite nicely ....

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Foneguy said:

Part Duece Duece !!

Keep in mind ... their will be an apprentice shortly, who will need space as well .... ??

"Temporary shop" is looking great , coming along quite nicely ....

Thanks Buddy! Can't wait to get the little guy in there :)

The next one will be Part Double Dueceroni ;D

• Like 2

Well....the instructions are a little hard to read but here they are boys! I finally pulled the trigger to start sharpening and I ordered a 1000 and an 8000 grit Shapton whetstone set. 67054469592c8149556d68a6b5d7958a.jpg34758c4b9984a7b3eb3acc737d3b1fae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Man you have some nice ass tools! great space in a comfortable room better then being hot in summer and freezing in the winter lol.. Congrats on the baby also.. I get both of my kids in the workshop as often as I can its a good daddy time activity and they learn things that they just can't learn anywhere else.. Nice work I look forward to your new work shop build when it comes around..

• Like 1

On 6/14/2017 at 1:29 PM, Jscott said:

Man you have some nice ass tools! great space in a comfortable room better then being hot in summer and freezing in the winter lol.. Congrats on the baby also.. I get both of my kids in the workshop as often as I can its a good daddy time activity and they learn things that they just can't learn anywhere else.. Nice work I look forward to your new work shop build when it comes around..

Thanks a lot James. Being a Dad is pretty cool ?I hope a Will joins me down there as he gets older!

• Like 3

Not really a shop update again, but....

http://jrsknives.com/products/neckr-number-5-kydex-sheath

I bought this knife the other day, it came in today, from Jr's Knives. I have been trying my hand at instagram and saw one of our members repost, whatever the heck that is, a giveaway for one of his knives. I bought this knife and I've got some initial impressions. Naturally this thing cost an arm and a leg but it's an American craftsman made knife that will hopefully last a lifetime. The knife I bought is a Neckr model with walnut burl handles and is quote striking to look at. It comes with a kydex sheath. Although I haven't cut Anything with it, I have developed some initial impressions of the knife and sheath. I spent a $145 on the knife and it seems solidly built with an incredible finish. The knife will need a light honing but is quite sharp. The sheath is meh. No belt loops or slots and it appears to be designed to be used with a g-clip (I seriously don't know what the heck that is, I looked on Amazon and it's some type of Molle like system. I will say the sheath is solid and holds the knife in place quite well. I will not be carrying this on a Molle type carrier though my tac rifle vest would support it. My purpose for this guy will be an EDC  rescue tool and the thickness of the blade shows this will be well suited for the task. We will see how it fares in the shop too but if I remember I'll try to do a review after some real world use. I will say, this guy seems like a well made investment in a tool that should hold up quite well to some serious use. e42e12cbf6611c9f900bca5a107ff860.jpg0724f96d30032c7cae73ee7b3645434e.jpgbe589bfff9b063b70106404db5da01d8.jpg3a28be5385a2c35fe3eb1214659f31df.jpgfae549d8e890ff675a4e8d6179020099.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Good looking stuff. I just got that same spokeshave a couple weeks ago. Have not had a need to use it yet but will :)

I think the Shapton is the way to go.  I am going to get a 10 or 16 thousand for the final and probably the 1000 as well. I love my trends for flatness but cant say I am thrilled with the edge they leave.

Is the Veritas the 4 1/2 you were talking about getting?

21 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

Good looking stuff. I just got that same spokeshave a couple weeks ago. Have not had a need to use it yet but will :)

I think the Shapton is the way to go.  I am going to get a 10 or 16 thousand for the final and probably the 1000 as well. I love my trends for flatness but cant say I am thrilled with the edge they leave.

Is the Veritas the 4 1/2 you were talking about getting?

Yuppers Rich, that is the Veritas 4-1/2 smoothing plane with the PM-V11 blade. The fit and finish is beutiful and though I would love to have the Lie Nielsen I really wanted to try this out. My next one to be ordered, hopefully for next month on my birthday will be the Lie Nielsen No.62 low angle Jack. I am hoping my Wife picks up my subtle hints

that I have been dropping but.....I'm saving my pennies ?.

Back to the plane. I purchased some large 10" wide white pine boards for a Dutch toolchest. Additionally....This week I am purchasing rough milled pine or hemlock for an English stile bench. I just bought the tail vise assembly from 

https://www.hovartercustomvise.com/product/vx20w-wagon-vise-hardware-kit/

yesterday. I will be using this new Veritas for all of the smoothing applications and will hopefully form a beaming opinion over the next month or so as I make headway on these two projects.

• Like 1

Looks like a nice plane. Cant wait to hear your thoughts but I am sure you will love it.

My #62 is my favorite plane so far. Makes a great shooting board plane too. I bought the "hot dog" for mine for that reason.

I need to know more about your vise :) I am 105 videos into Cosmans bench build series and am more confused than when I started. I dont think I want to go to the level of build he has.  Also, last week I had a head off my hotrod and engine parts laying on the bench. Was thinking... do I really want a "nice" bench. So not sure what I need.

42 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Looks like a nice plane. Cant wait to hear your thoughts but I am sure you will love it.

My #62 is my favorite plane so far. Makes a great shooting board plane too. I bought the "hot dog" for mine for that reason.

I need to know more about your vise :) I am 105 videos into Cosmans bench build series and am more confused than when I started. I dont think I want to go to the level of build he has.  Also, last week I had a head off my hotrod and engine parts laying on the bench. Was thinking... do I really want a "nice" bench. So not sure what I need.

No problem dude. I actually am watching the English Woodworker series and purchased his video series. I've been leaning towards a Nicholson with a tail vise and a face vise, this plan I am reviewing in conjunction with Scwarz' book is a modified Nicholson, a true English bench. I'm not a mechanic and I'd rather lose a nut than use my Festools and a handmade work bench in the repair of any car. The nice thing about the bench I'm going to build will be mostly Pine or hemlock with hardwood vise components. I am still in the possibility phase if building a garage which will mean my bench will have to be moved. Making a hardwood split top roubo would literally and physically and mentally and all that other crap kill me to move it. A pine bench might be a little bit easier (not really, those two inch hemlock rough dawn boards are friggin heavy.  Back to the project, I was looking g at purchasing Marc's plans but the bench though looks beautiful is a little bit out of my realm of reality right this moment. Having a slab topped bench as opposed to a monolithic top is much more manageable for me. Maybe in 15 months when I retire but not now.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

Just saw this on Shannons youtube channel ?

Well I've been dreaming enough of this so today I made good on the start... I just bough 8 Hemlock 2x8x14 rough sawn sticks at Cameron's here in Farmington NH and brought them home for a $103 price tag. I also stopped by the USPS and picked up my Stanley 207 bench dogs I bought on eBay. This is going to be a fun and hopefully inspiring project for me.8062bc25016188844d8c871b0d6cc2a4.jpge1d8f83df7343a81ed89a04a66825f15.jpg4136ffae893d94f6f7f7aaaacec6c232.jpg4c6b2b6f7530bbab93d636651184b172.jpgbc072cdacd5adcd182d1056f3b9408b1.jpg2f1bf13c2cca89195c39da3f702d0d13.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Interesting dialogue and mill talk. Completely different world then mine ,even when I  was doing interior finish work...but I do respect an ol school craftsman. Nice job Sir..

Thanks Joe, that means a lot sir!