Preferred ratchets?

Conductor562

I did, I've done research in the past so I knew what to look for. These were easy because of the unique levers and stamp. The 1/2" ratchet style is very well known.

That's cool. I guess I will be spending some more time on the googler. I love old tools and thinking about there history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2017 at 3:41 PM, tcoscarelli said:

That old SK ratchet is sweet. I got some old craftsmen 1/2" and 1/4" ratchets when my grandfather passed. I have no idea how old, but there is a definite quality difference with these old ones vs the newer ones I have. 30317abfc71d0fe803f87f07dc35423f.jpg
ad750b640db6ca1f8c68090ea6d2ae93.jpg

BMack is spot on with his date range. The V Series stuff was the golden age of Craftsman. Those ratchets were made by Moore Drop Forge. MDF was later bought, by Easco, which later became part of Danher, most of which later became part of Apex. 

The 1/4" is a solid rat, but rather common. The 1/2" is the most desirable of the pair because of the V selector switch.

• Like 2

Alright so I picked this "100 position" husky ratchet up, it is a high tooth count but a dual pawl to mimick 100 teeth, appears to have more than 50

f73bcf697828ed354b01caa532466965.jpg

Stripped it down cleared out the black gunk

5e88e53818f079e5d3c90c7390780d1b.jpg
6474ceafe71c3cb1a349f5a487008467.jpg

Superlubed the ratchet and the flex head used grease on the flex

https://vimeo.com/201389938

• Like 2

I love ratchets I have a bunch of them I have mostly snap on but also have mac,cornwell,matco,sk,gearwrench,bluepoint,Williams kobalt,Williams,Carlyle and others. I'd say my favorites are a between the snap on, mac, matco or Carlyle as I like the fine tooth action I got many styles and prefer ratchets with grips as I'm fairly new to them but still like my plain handled ratchets. I have some lower tooth count ratchets as low as 20 tooth snap on ratchets and don't like them to much even the 30-36 tooth are awful there is one exception cornwell. Cornwell are very smooth to be such low tooth count even better with super lube, I have tried clipping the springs shorter in my older snap ons and Williams kobalt and didn't change much the kobalt and snap on 936 ratchets are the same inside to the most part and are not great to much back drag. The smoothest ratchets I got are between SK tuff 1's or my craftsman BE with Amber handle it is so smooth to be from 1939-1942 but I would dare use it as it is old and rare. Here's a pic of my 1963 snap on long military ratchets and flat style military ratchets and the craftsman.

1485889935598-1127415343.jpg

• Like 1

I'll take a picture of my ratchets in my box later they are spread out in 3 drawers 1 for all my 3/8 and extensions and some 1/4 and 1 drawer for all 1/4 which I use the most and 1 for my big 1/2 longer ratchets and breaker bars ,I also have a drawer with 3/4 ratchets and sockets and other tools like my Mac and matco air tools. I prefer to use cordless as much as I can and my power tools are snap on,matco,hilti and Makita. I love the 7.even snap on stuff specially the 1/4 impact but also use my hilti or makita impacts with 1/4 and 3/8 and my matco 1/2 with 1/2 and some 3/8.

My wife says I got to much tools and I don't think so I think my box is to small. I have mostly truck brand tools and wright but some kobalt Williams and williams. I'll do a tool tour soon 

On 1/31/2017 at 2:13 PM, DerekTheToolGuy said:

I love ratchets I have a bunch of them I have mostly snap on but also have mac,cornwell,matco,sk,gearwrench,bluepoint,Williams kobalt,Williams,Carlyle and others. I'd say my favorites are a between the snap on, mac, matco or Carlyle as I like the fine tooth action I got many styles and prefer ratchets with grips as I'm fairly new to them but still like my plain handled ratchets. I have some lower tooth count ratchets as low as 20 tooth snap on ratchets and don't like them to much even the 30-36 tooth are awful there is one exception cornwell. Cornwell are very smooth to be such low tooth count even better with super lube, I have tried clipping the springs shorter in my older snap ons and Williams kobalt and didn't change much the kobalt and snap on 936 ratchets are the same inside to the most part and are not great to much back drag. The smoothest ratchets I got are between SK tuff 1's or my craftsman BE with Amber handle it is so smooth to be from 1939-1942 but I would dare use it as it is old and rare. Here's a pic of my 1963 snap on long military ratchets and flat style military ratchets and the craftsman.

1485889935598-1127415343.jpg

That amber ratchet is sweet! It was made by New Britain. Even the NB version is getting harder to find, but it's something to keep in mind if you ever need parts

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My count is up to about 90 or so and still counting I will have a Gray Canada 3/8 and Williams 1/4 superratchet tomorrow in the mail. When I get them I will do a family photo I have them in 4 drawers spread around. I have a drawer for 1/4 and 3/4 and long 1/2s in th big drawer and rest stacked 2 deep in another as well as a few in the cars and here and there my wife says I have a problem lol.

All are mainly truck brand or industrial brand and a couple Europeans , all pro stuff accept for my collectors pieces like Amber handle craftsman from 38-42 and speeder ratchet that's it for craftsman other than 1 rhft. I have yet to buy a proto ratchet yet I just haven't got into those yet. I have no idea how I'll ever use them all some I know won't get used as they are rare but who knows .

Pics will follow it will have to do this in the morning my tablet is dead.

Oh and nice ratchets guys I love seeing whayother guys are using and what's thier favorites.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2017 at 8:32 PM, Stercorarius said:

To the left you have the basic HF beater wrenches. These turn into breaker bars really quickly as the handles are extendable and the teeth generally don't slip. What I have found usually happens with these wrenches are that the selector lever either seizes or shears off. I don't know why. I have yet to cause any of them to fail on mine, but the ones at the shop all seem to have this problem.

Top left stubby three are also Pittsburgh ratchets. They make a good just in case ratchet.

Bottom left is a 1/4" drive crescent, no problems with that one slipping. Next to it is a stubby Blackhawk 3/8. That is my all time favorite. 

In the middle is an SK roto head I picked up on eBay. It seemed like a good idea at the time. I'm a fan of the form, but this one has a lot of chipping chrome. 

Round head Facom design Proto 3/8. Not that big fan of round heads. I just wanted something with a little higher tooth count than 24. Below it is a 24 tooth Proto 1/4 drive. I'm not sure why I bought it. I rarely use 1/4 drive. 

Bottom to top on the right:

Snap -on dual 80 3/8 flex head with quick release. Not impressed with this ratchet for being $140. I only use it more than my Carlyle because it has a metal handle which handles oil and grease better. 

Proto 24T 3/8 long handle. I always go for the longest handles I can find.

Wright 1/2 drive open gear ratchet. Way too much back drag. Still an awesomely strong ratchet.

Proto 1/2 24T. I like my long handle version better. It isn't pictured because I keep it in the truck. 

Crescent 1/2  and 3/8 drive ratchet. These things are first ratchets and have seen all sorts of abuse. They have easily experienced hundreds of foot pounds. They are short and bulky though.

1/2 drive gear wrench. Real short and bulky. Bought for the sockets it came with.

Plombs because killin' Nazis and shit.

I have the So 3870 like yours it was my dad's it's in beautiful shape probably didnt get used but I love it but not as much as my 48375 tuff1 version it has beautiful chrome and has like 0 back drag it my be my favorite out of my 90 rats , It was my Valentine's present from the wife darn thing was like $98 used and took me a long long time to find ,I don't think they are rare just nobody wants to sell one it's so good. I rebuilt my 3870 to save the original guts and the new gear is black and makes the rat look better and smoother something to keep in mind. It's a shame they don't make this style anymore.

On 1/8/2017 at 10:49 PM, Stercorarius said:

Looking at this beauty.

VR2690FPA.jpg

The thing that kills me is the Proto J5426HTC is the version of this with a knurled metal handle like I want but it's not freaking available yet and it is killing me. I won't wait for any preorder midnight release stuff for a movie or video game, but I would show up at any hour to get my hands on one of these.

I have this one I bought off ebay for $70 and I just live the Mac axis I'm dying for a 1/4 I just bid on one fingers crossed ,I have the long non flex 3/8 as well and use it the most. The Mac axis rats are my top pick ,also love the Cornwell 72t,  to me the snap ons are over rated. Snap on just came out with the fllf80 copying the mac fork design and added USA to the head ,I might buy one when they are cheaper. 

I just got the 18" kobalt today after warranting a normal 3/8 funny story it was the only 3/8 on the rack due to father's day I guess so I scored, it's made by the same people who make titan,tekton, and the Mac Taiwan xl rats I have the 18" tekton as well. I got a thing for big rats I hardly get to use just like my 0° xl wrenches very hard to use in cramped quarters or under the car without a lift.

On 1/8/2017 at 10:23 PM, Stercorarius said:

Anybody know when these were discontinued and why?

No idea but I own both styles the 3870 and 48375 tuff1 ,i stocked up on tuff1 rebuild kits they are old from the 80s or 90s dunno but the grease looks like poop it turned Brown ,I heard they ran out of them already ,I'd imagine they were old stock and due to the design being owned by stanley/facom they are gone for good as they are no longer made for sk, I'm going to be careful with my tuff1s ,I love my rotos the 48375 is my #1 fab next to my Mac axis'.

On 5/27/2016 at 11:02 PM, Stercorarius said:

I like the way you think lol.;D

In the off chance that the magazine for the gun in the passenger is empty I'll make sure and reach for my big wrenches. I guess a big wrench is probably more intimidating and less of a felony to use to intimidate someone with. 

Lol i keep a 50mm/46mm dowidat (gedore) I paid $3 for under the front seat in one car and in the other a 32" matco 1/2-3/8 extension in the other 2 huge tools i never use, also keep a small hammer do the wife as she can't swing the big steel tools she's 4'9 100pnds lol 

Sour for all the post I had to catch up its been awhile I'm going to bed now lol

1 hour ago, DerekTheToolGuy said:

My count is up to about 90 or so and still counting I will have a Gray Canada 3/8 and Williams 1/4 superratchet tomorrow in the mail. When I get them I will do a family photo I have them in 4 drawers spread around. I have a drawer for 1/4 and 3/4 and long 1/2s in th big drawer and rest stacked 2 deep in another as well as a few in the cars and here and there my wife says I have a problem lol.

All are mainly truck brand or industrial brand and a couple Europeans , all pro stuff accept for my collectors pieces like Amber handle craftsman from 38-42 and speeder ratchet that's it for craftsman other than 1 rhft. I have yet to buy a proto ratchet yet I just haven't got into those yet. I have no idea how I'll ever use them all some I know won't get used as they are rare but who knows .

Pics will follow it will have to do this in the morning my tablet is dead.

Oh and nice ratchets guys I love seeing whayother guys are using and what's thier favorites.

Wow a speeder, those are going through the roof lately. Would love to see some close up of your nicer ratchets.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2017 at 2:07 AM, BMack37 said:

Wow a speeder, those are going through the roof lately. Would love to see some close up of your nicer ratchets.

All my ratchets are truck brand and sk or Williams and maybe a Wright or 2 last count was 90. I also have some craftsman amber handle ratchets from 38-42. I will put together a pic of my favorites it will take some work i need a bigger box bag so everything is crammed in there like sardines every drawer is like that. I'm not a fan of the craftsman speeder ratchet I have I would trade it for sometching and not ask ridiculous just another ratchet I don't have which is alot.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2017 at 0:09 AM, JimboS1ice said:

Alright so I picked this "100 position" husky ratchet up, it is a high tooth count but a dual pawl to mimick 100 teeth, appears to have more than 50

f73bcf697828ed354b01caa532466965.jpg

Stripped it down cleared out the black gunk

5e88e53818f079e5d3c90c7390780d1b.jpg
6474ceafe71c3cb1a349f5a487008467.jpg

Superlubed the ratchet and the flex head used grease on the flex

https://vimeo.com/201389938

I bought that ratchet after seeing it here and it was the tightest ratchet I have ever tried very loud as well , I trimmed both the springs and lubes it no2 it's smooth and quite ,it takes nothing to turn it and made the back drag way lower. I trim the springs on alotof my ratchets if they have high back drag.

• 3 months later...
On 5/5/2016 at 5:38 AM, Stercorarius said:

20160505_053617.jpg

Lol @ that chump.

Can't let ratchet threads die.

Could have sworn there was a thread for ratchet collections, maybe it's in a different section. Anyway updated family photo because I can't sleep between October and March. Can't stand anything other than metal grips. Waiting for the 90 tooth SKs in different formats.IMG_20171030_001329.thumb.jpg.424ff9061957d8c7e88d35c437e86663.jpg

IMG_20171030_001323.thumb.jpg.fa1ff01bda405d2148af3b0353306159.jpgIMG_20171030_001309.thumb.jpg.9de2b33a406391397ef7e2c66ec5c939.jpgIMG_20171030_001155.thumb.jpg.743ae27851b567e83bed556a5b66525b.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I see a couple of 3/4” rats in there... I wish I could justify 3/4” stuff, but seriously the only time I’ve touched any of my 1/2” stuff is when I torque lug nuts, thanks to Mr. Milwaukee battery impacts.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2017 at 8:54 AM, Stercorarius said:

Yeah actually used my 3/4 breaker bar me than my 1/2". Not sure if I'll ever need that 1" drive proto ratchet though.

If I can fool myself enough to justify 3/4” stuff, it’ll likely be Wright.