Snowblowers?

Woz

Never owned a snowblower usually shovel or hillbilly it and wait til it melts. Had shoulder surgery 3 months ago so cant shovel. Was checkin the Greenworks at lowes. Anyone know how these are for chicago winters? Watched some videos on them they seem good. I know theres a new ego out but leary on new model things esp with this being its first winter out. Or just get the gas model? Thanks guys

I had the Greenworks it worked but it is a cheap built and feeling unit. I have a big gas 2 stage for the big stuff and now the Ego for most of the other snow. 2 stage units can be a bear to wrestle with you might want to look at a nice single stage gas. Depending on your needs the Ego might not be a bad choice either.

I'm in Se Michigan so we can get hammered most of our snowfalls are in the 4 to 6 inch range most of the time with a few 8" to 10" storms. A small single stage can handle bigger storms you will just have to go out in the middle of a storm to keep up with it. The big 2 stages are great for the monster snows but are slow for the smaller stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I also live in  SE Michigan, though I live in a snow belt. Last year I bought a Cub Cadet 3 stage snowblower. That thing made short work of the crappie that the plow leaves at the end of the street. Might want to take a look at that, though they are pricey.

• 2 weeks later...

The Snow Joe isn't bad.  Much lighter than the EGO.  I live in the Chicago area also.  I just got the Ego, so not sure how it performs in all the snow, but will find out tonight.  Snow Joe wasn't good for a very heavy snow or the end of the driveway.  It was good for what I did.  I used the EGO in the last snow, but only for part of the driveaway since my neighbor did the rest before I got home.  The EGO is night and day compared to the snow joe.  My dad uses the Greenworks and he likes it, but the handle is cheap.  My wifes dad is using the Snow Joe.  He just makes sure it doesn't get really deep.  He will have to go out and run the Snow Joe a little more often.

I use an 18" electric Toro PowerCurve, great little thrower. Works on wet snow, and cuts through the crap the snow plows dump on the end of the driveway really nice. It got me through the snow we had back in 2011...

5411896998_506f306b24_b.jpg

Blizzard 2011 003 by Edward Durbin, on Flickr

5411292329_58c019a9b9_b.jpg

Blizzard 2011 006 by Edward Durbin, on Flickr

But...unfortunately it's electric, which means dragging the extension cord out. It's not bad, I don't mind it too much, but it can be a pain in the neck sometimes. I'm silently hoping the thrower croaks so I can beg the wife for a cordless one.

• Like 1

Well this past January, the east coast got hammered, 34" by me. Our big 2 stage ariens made very short work of our corner house, 60' double wide driveway and smaller single car driveway, plus 3 other houses. I couldn't even imagine using anything other then gas, but its all about preference. It only takes one big snowfall to make a purchase like that worth it.

3 hours ago, Eric - TIA said:

The Snow Joe isn't bad.  Much lighter than the EGO.  I live in the Chicago area also.  I just got the Ego, so not sure how it performs in all the snow, but will find out tonight.  Snow Joe wasn't good for a very heavy snow or the end of the driveway.  It was good for what I did.  I used the EGO in the last snow, but only for part of the driveaway since my neighbor did the rest before I got home.  The EGO is night and day compared to the snow joe.  My dad uses the Greenworks and he likes it, but the handle is cheap.  My wifes dad is using the Snow Joe.  He just makes sure it doesn't get really deep.  He will have to go out and run the Snow Joe a little more often.

The ego worked awesome in the last snow. I was very impressed. The greenworks seemed a little cheap to me. The ego feels like a gas model and more rigid. The shoot lever is awesome also. Youll love the ego. 

• 8 months later...

Nothing so far and it might be awhile Snow removal is a smaller market than say a lawn mower. You never know what product managers are thinking though. It does make sense as Dewalt probably has a bigger built in market than B&D regarding 18/20v tools.

• Like 1

Is DeWALT going to GIE+ EXPO this year? I seen EGO is going and I think Makita (might show off a rumored ope specific battery platform)

I'd like to see an EGO pole hedge trimmer attachment for the power head system. A dual stage EGO snowblower would be cool.

1 hour ago, rrich1 said:

Im still waiting to use the ego snow blower i won earlier this year from tia. lol 

My dad got one within the past few years and we haven't really needed to use it haha.

The past 4-5 years have been lacking in much snow for Nebraska. Lately we have gotten small amounts of snow that turns into ice.

• 10 months later...

I have an Ariens 2 stage and a drive thru driveway. It eats up those piles at the ends of the driveway pushed up by the plow. There is a few hundred feet between those ends. I don't know if the power and run time is there in a battery blower. It is a lot easier to refill the little tank than to worry about keeping enough batteries charged. We haven't had a lot of storms in NJ recently, but we have had a few big ones.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

I may have some great advice, seriously, but first, its good to know how much area you need to keep clear of snow. Are you planning on managing the sidewalks/paths, as well as driveway? 
What kind of space do you have to store it away when it's not in use? 

I have two snow blowers I take with me in a pickup truck equipped with a lifting tailgate. I usually start clearing sidewalks at 2 AM and finish at 8 AM, throughout the winter. Because I am out there alone, I have learned to maintain my equipment myself, so I've developed a bit of knowledge over the past 10 years. 

The Ariens 5 hp 24" will do most of the jobs I have, but once in a while, I need something more substantial. That's when I unload the simplicity 8.5 hp 28". The simplicity has an electric start, but I don't have access to electricity when I'm out on the jobs, so I pull start and don't find it difficult, though the 5 HP is much easier.