Festool TS 55 REQ Plunge Track Saw Review

Skill Builder

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Thanks! I. Really wanting one of these but trying to figure out if it is worth the money over a makita or dewalt.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Remember it's part of a system Rich. To get the full benefits from the saw you really need to have the dust collection added. Though what you use is entirely up to you. A Ridgid vac with an adapter would be fine (obviously not as good as a sealed unit but...) to collect the dust from the machine. Totally worth it though. I've had mine for three years and it is my favorite tool. I have heard the Makita is also a great unit as well as the Bosch and I believe @wildroamer has the Bosch version.

12 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Remember it's part of a system Rich. To get the full benefits from the saw you really need to have the dust collection added. Though what you use is entirely up to you. A Ridgid vac with an adapter would be fine (obviously not as good as a sealed unit but...) to collect the dust from the machine. Totally worth it though. I've had mine for three years and it is my favorite tool. I have heard the Makita is also a great unit as well as the Bosch and I believe @wildroamer has the Bosch version.

I have a dust deputy attached to a shop vac. I know fein has good deals on their dust collection units.

• 4 weeks later...

I am completely impressed with the TS 55 track saw. Today I was cutting 1in thick acrylic sheets. They were 8x6 so I was cutting them to fit on the CNC for odd shaped pieces. Each cut took between 8 1/2 to 9 mins, and I had to cut 11 sheets. What was so impressive to me after a long cut like that the saw and blade never got hot. If I was using a traditional worm drive saw I know the blade would have heated up and would have started to wobble and the motor would have been hot as hell. The saw I was running was the shop saw, I so want to ad one to my personal collection.

IMG_5098.JPG

IMG_5099.JPG

IMG_5100.JPG

• Like 3

No doubt. Its the first Festool product I purchased about 15 years ago. I have several tracks and it gets used all the time.

It has saved my butt several times. With the slot on the back of track I have been able to clamp it to things sideways and make a clean cut.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2016 at 6:12 AM, ChrisK said:

I'm not a big fan of what looks to me to be a lack of metal parts around the blade. You find any issues with this? Do you have the router with the track base? I wonder if other companies would come out with a track compatible router.

23 minutes ago, Jronman said:

I'm not a big fan of what looks to me to be a lack of metal parts around the blade. You find any issues with this? Do you have the router with the track base? I wonder if other companies would come out with a track compatible router.

You're talking about the TS55REQ or the router? Or both?

Just now, Jronman said:

the first part was about the track saw. In the picture it looked like the blade cover was plastic. I could be wrong though. The second part was about the router.

Ahhh got ya! All metal shroud and spring load riving knife. Very very very durable. As far as the router, I have the adjustable bases for both my OF1400 and OF1010. Fully adjustable, they work really awesome.

2 minutes ago, Jronman said:

yeah look like metal in the manual. Looks real nice.The video picture on the skill builder video looked white on my screen,

Ahhh go ya. I'm a huge green guy so it's hard to sound unbiased about the tools but really doing some research in the tools may help. The PDF is actually a pretty cool explaination of its use and quality

Just now, ChrisK said:

Ahhh go ya. I'm a huge green guy so it's hard to sound unbiased about the tools but really doing some research in the tools may help. The PDF is actually a pretty cool explaination of its use and quality

yeah sometimes a picture doesn't do justice.

• 2 months later...

I so want to buy my own track saw.  We have a huge job where my crew has to cut a ton of pre laminated 5 x12 and 4 x10 sheets.  Normally we would do it on the table saw and panel saw. No way did I feel like humping all the sheets around, so I have spent the last two days cutting with a TS55 and it has saved so much work and I'm able to make more accurate cuts when things are out of square. 

I'll be working my way through this pile for another couple of days. :)

IMG_5664.JPG

IMG_5665.JPG

• Like 1

Although I am a Festool fan like Chris and I agree with what he is saying but I personally would buy whatever trips your trigger for a dust extractor. I have a Festool unit and it works great but I think most vacs would do the job. I have had mine 15 years and have yet to pull the lever for the HEPA filter. If I was a contractor trying to keep a customers place dust free, I might consider it.

I like the footprint of the Festool unit compared to a "shop vac" and the fact you can mount systainers on it is nice but they are expensive and not for everyone. 10 to 15 years ago might have been different but there is some good competition out there now.

I highly recommend a mini cyclone inline because it does not take long to fill a bag routing or cutting.  I fill my cyclone box over and over and the bag only has a tiny bit of dust in it. The fuller your bag gets the more the performance drops on any vac. So if you can use a cyclone instead of bag you are better off.

Small question for ChrisK and Rrmccabe.  You both have bought a festool Vac which, one of its finer points, is their small footprint. And then u both added a cyclone because the small festool bags fill up too fast ( and thus would add a significant cost on use )

At that point wouldnt it possible to have bought a shop vac with an auto clean function?  Cant say i know how 'big' a festool midi + added cyclone is compared to a standard shopvac like the Bosch GAS 30M or Makita 447Mx. But with an auto Cleran shop vac u dont have to worry about bags, filters, loosing suction or whatever :)

2 hours ago, Jronman said:

I think Festool has an autoclean vac but it isn't hepa.

They have been HEPA since the beginning. my 15 year old CT22 is HEPA.

@kornomaniac not sure I understand your question. Just because its autoclean does not mean the bag does not fill up just as fast.

The UDD from Oneda cyclone box is larger than a bag and I can run a small planer into it. Thats really not recommended but does work.

4 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

They have been HEPA since the beginning. my 15 year old CT22 is HEPA.

@kornomaniac not sure I understand your question. Just because its autoclean does not mean the bag does not fill up just as fast.

The UDD from Oneda cyclone box is larger than a bag and I can run a small planer into it. Thats really not recommended but does work.

The auto clean version CT36 AC can be HEPA or it can have auto clean enabled but not both st the same time. The auto clean function apparently isn't compatible with the HEPA filter so you have to use a different filter if you have it in AC mode.