Can anyone install a water heater properly?

Justin Hernandez

A General Contractor installed this, I found it wired just like that. I thought I got an after photo of the electrical redone and relief valve piped in but I guess I forgot. Sucks, if I ever go back I will get a picture. No connector on the greenfield flex on the timer and a metallic greenfield connector on seal tight. Can't forget about the timer just floating in the air and wire nuts just hanging out. They lost the screws to the j-box on the heater so I guess they just said fuck it. I mean you can push the wire in at least but hey whatever.

IMAG2489.jpg

IMAG2490.jpg

IMAG2491.jpg

• Like 2

terrible and what is worse is the unsuspected home owner may not know any better to know if it is safe or not. however in some obvious cases you can just see it don't look right.......don't need to know how to play guitar to know someone playing it made a mistake.......

• Like 2

Nice.  My water heater was installed with an overflow drain pipe stretched across the floor 4" up from the floor and the romex pulled TIGHT across the attic because they were too cheap to put in an extra 10' of wiring to staple it up properly.

6 hours ago, comp56 said:

terrible and what is worse is the unsuspected home owner may not know any better to know if it is safe or not. however in some obvious cases you can just see it don't look right.......don't need to know how to play guitar to know someone playing it made a mistake.......

Haha, 2 bright red wire nuts should be easy to see

6 hours ago, RickyMcGrath said:

a7b23dfcc690639cbb2ac1b6c35039d7.jpg

So how does Stevie pick paint colors?

6 hours ago, JMG said:

I notice the lack of a drop tube on the pop-off valve too.

Yea I did that too I did mention it on my post 

5 hours ago, khariV said:

Nice.  My water heater was installed with an overflow drain pipe stretched across the floor 4" up from the floor and the romex pulled TIGHT across the attic because they were too cheap to put in an extra 10' of wiring to staple it up properly.

Yea but that's work and work is hard

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RickyMcGrath said:

a7b23dfcc690639cbb2ac1b6c35039d7.jpg

LOL that's terrible, but good one haha

1 hour ago, Justin Hernandez said:

Yea but that's work and work is hard

LOL need some cheese with that whine?

I think those water lines could use an extra coupling or two, it might add some more strength to the ones already there hhaah

• Like 1

Just put one in today, totally missed an after photo. Used propress copper and had to do a little funny looking piping because of this goofy manifold setup where the previous water heater had joined up.

Replaced a 120 gallon with a 50 gallon, completely different sizes, so it doesn't exactly pipe in the same

Homeowner rented the previous water heater and said he could have paid for 2 new water heaters with how much he paid in rent for the previous one lol

@Justin Hernandez anybody in your area rent a water heater from the electric company? They used to put them in by the truckloads around here, maybe 15+ years go, we've been slowly replacing them, and what a bear to pull them out, they are all heavy massive 120 gallon tanks....

• Like 1

These monsters were absolutely all over the place, you could almost guarantee if they haven't had a water heater replacement in a long while and were using an electric water heater, this would be there to greet you:

Either here as Columbus Southern, or 95% of the time it was AEP... 

IMG_20161209_123358802

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Just put one in today, totally missed an after photo. Used propress copper and had to do a little funny looking piping because of this goofy manifold setup where the previous water heater had joined up.

Replaced a 120 gallon with a 50 gallon, completely different sizes, so it doesn't exactly pipe in the same

Homeowner rented the previous water heater and said he could have paid for 2 new water heaters with how much he paid in rent for the previous one lol

@Justin Hernandez anybody in your area rent a water heater from the electric company? They used to put them in by the truckloads around here, maybe 15+ years go, we've been slowly replacing them, and what a bear to pull them out, they are all heavy massive 120 gallon tanks....

Never heard of renting a water heater before. What the hell the electric company had to love putting those beasts in 120 gallon tank that is freaking overkill for most households!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DR99 said:

Never heard of renting a water heater before. What the hell the electric company had to love putting those beasts in 120 gallon tank that is freaking overkill for most households!!!

Exactly, they wanted to charge the premium for having the larger tanks, people probably never gave it a thought, all about the money....

We have a propane supply company they rent water heaters and softeners

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 12/9/2016 at 8:33 PM, JimboS1ice said:

Also looks like some one round house kicked it down the stairs before they installed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its used..lol

23 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

LOL that's terrible, but good one haha

LOL need some cheese with that whine?

I think those water lines could use an extra coupling or two, it might add some more strength to the ones already there hhaah

They sell them in contractor packs for a reason..lol

23 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

You know how many times I forget to take pictures, a lot. I just start ripping and tearing and all of a sudden I'm like I should have taken a picture beforehand..lol I only see gas water heaters rented and there old Rudds that finally start to leak form like the 60's slowly but surely I'm replacing them. To bad they have to pay every month or I will say they got there moneys worth and then some. Its funny because you have to call them to pick up the old heater, which makes no sense scrap an't worth it. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2016 at 1:08 AM, JimboS1ice said:

We have a propane supply company they rent water heaters and softeners

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 12/10/2016 at 3:19 PM, KnarlyCarl said:

Never seen gas water heater rental, only electric. And we rent softeners also

I really must have been out of the loop for years.

I have never heard of water heaters being rented out.

I've heard of water softeners but not water heaters.

12 hours ago, LarryS said:

I really must have been out of the loop for years.

I have never heard of water heaters being rented out.

I've heard of water softeners but not water heaters.

I think it's very regional, and no one does it around here anymore (renting water heaters that is)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...