Knipex pliers have me hooked

WeldfabNeil

I have none : ( I only have snap on,mac and Klein's as they are my go to and make nice stuff oh also have some Diamond horseshoe and crescent or channel lock he blue handled forgot brand as I have 2 plier drawers and don't use the second drawer. I have been wanting some knipex bad but already built my collection and have way to much as it is or a pair of pliers wrenches would be on they're way kinda tore really I know he with the most tools wins but out of space I need a side or top box badly.

My collection keeps growing. 8" combination, 8" high leverage cutters, 5, 7.25, 10" pliers wrench, 5, 7.25, 10, 12" Cobras, 8" side cutting needlenose, raptors, lineman's. 

6" pliers wrench, ES Cobras and x-cut diagonals on the way now. Probably getting to the end of my Knipex journey soon. Those needlnose combination pliers are definitely calling my name. 

• Like 1

For someone who doesn't have a lot to splurge, which Knipex pliers would you guys suggest that would help achieve 90% of the work if laying plumbing for a house. I am gonna be using GI Pipes although plastic pipes are also available.

I wouldn't mind buying 2-3 different types, but I just don't want to end up buying ones which serve similar purposes.

I am thinking of ordering at least the 12 inch Plier Wrench and Pipe Wrench S-type.

If ordering more than one, it is cheaper for me to purchase from Amazon.de than Amazon.com, for someone ordering from India.
I also have the option to buy from Indian distributor but I know that their prices will be over-inflated.

For a moment, I was tempted by going for more mainstream DIY options like Irwin Groovelock, but considering I am starting to build my tools collection, I think it would be wiser to splurge on a quality product now than a cheaper one which I might have to replace a lot quicker in the future.

6 hours ago, rdst_1 said:

For someone who doesn't have a lot to splurge, which Knipex pliers would you guys suggest that would help achieve 90% of the work if laying plumbing for a house. I am gonna be using GI Pipes although plastic pipes are also available.

I wouldn't mind buying 2-3 different types, but I just don't want to end up buying ones which serve similar purposes.

I am thinking of ordering at least the 12 inch Plier Wrench and Pipe Wrench S-type.

If ordering more than one, it is cheaper for me to purchase from Amazon.de than Amazon.com, for someone ordering from India.
I also have the option to buy from Indian distributor but I know that their prices will be over-inflated.

For a moment, I was tempted by going for more mainstream DIY options like Irwin Groovelock, but considering I am starting to build my tools collection, I think it would be wiser to splurge on a quality product now than a cheaper one which I might have to replace a lot quicker in the future.

To be honest, if you're building a collection on a limited budget Channellock might be a better option. Often you can get two or three Channellock for the cost of one Knipex. Knipex is great and I love them but often there is a Channellock available that will do the job and do it for a long time.

• Like 3

I can confirm, channellock is my preferred budget brand. As for catch-all Knipex... probably a 10" pliers wrench and a 10" Cobra. I think a reasonable rule of thumb for popular sizes is browse the catalogue and look at what comes in comfort grip. Basically everything is available in dipped; multi material I would guess 2/3 of options. If you look at Cobras the 7.25, 10 and 12 are available comfort grip. Pliers wrench 6, 7.25, and 10. That tells me 10" is probably a versatile size for Cobras. Pliers wrench I'd go 10 on just because the price and head size doesn't change a whole lot. Capacity and leverage increases though.

In a line with a ton of great tools I would likely call the Cobras and pliers wrench their Crown Jewels. I'd start there. The raptor is amazing for POS fittings down the road. 

• Like 1

The 10" pliers wrench, alligator and cobras will work on smaller fasteners but space could be a limiting factor. Also you don't want to use a 10" pliers wrench on a M3 nut, it would be cumbersome and might sheer it off because of leverage. For plumbing, I think you'd rather get large instead of small. Though the small jaws also open surprisingly large, great for tight spots. You could always ask @KnarlyCarl he's a plumber. What would you recommend for our pal in India?

I'd also consider a Channellock oil filter wrench, it's great for PVC...not soo great for oil filters, in my opinion.

https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-209-9-Inch-Filter-Plier/dp/B0009WG5SU

Guys, why does one need to buy different sizes?
Won't the bigger size one take care of all the things one would use the smaller sizes on.
I mean, isn't it the jaw size that should matter ?

They don't always fit, and you really want giant pliers for a 1 1/2" nut?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, BMack37 said:

To be honest, if you're building a collection on a limited budget Channellock might be a better option. Often you can get two or three Channellock for the cost of one Knipex. Knipex is great and I love them but often there is a Channellock available that will do the job and do it for a long time.

Good point here.

Also the 10" pliers wrench is what I use daily, love those things, but I couldn't justify spending $42 a piece if only for using around the house. 

Honestly, any pliers will get the job done, but the pliers wrench and alligators or cobras are all I'll use anymore for hex fittings and smaller smooth pipe, respectively. Love the adjustable wrench feature of the pliers wrench that allows you to "ratchet" on the hex if you will. You don't pull them off the fittings until it's tight. 

As for different sizes, I have smaller ones to take care of more delicate things. I have to be prepared for my work, but if just using it around the house, I would be fine with just one size, the 10".

The alligators and cobras are very similar except the cobras lock into position and the alligators don't. The alligators also open wider at the jaws.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2017 at 8:59 PM, DerekTheToolGuy said:

I have none : ( I only have snap on,mac and Klein's as they are my go to and make nice stuff oh also have some Diamond horseshoe and crescent or channel lock he blue handled forgot brand as I have 2 plier drawers and don't use the second drawer. I have been wanting some knipex bad but already built my collection and have way to much as it is or a pair of pliers wrenches would be on they're way kinda tore really I know he with the most tools wins but out of space I need a side or top box badly.

Haha no pressure...

Although, I don't think knipex is useful in automotive as much as they are in building mechanical and related, having worked in both areas

2 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Haha no pressure...

Although, I don't think knipex is useful in automotive as much as they are in building mechanical and related, having worked in both areas

Alligator and Cobra are great for holding anything round. Pliers wrench is very useful and all the cutters, locking pliers, wiring related pliers and retaining ring pliers. Snap On drivers normally stock a bunch of Knipex.

1 hour ago, BMack37 said:

Alligator and Cobra are great for holding anything round. Pliers wrench is very useful and all the cutters, locking pliers, wiring related pliers and retaining ring pliers. Snap On drivers normally stock a bunch of Knipex.

They have a nice set of snap ring pliers too

• Like 1

I always kept a pair of small Channellocks (6") in my general duty pouch. I've since replaced them with the 7.25" cobras. The smaller sizes really can get you into some hard to reach places that the 10" and larger just won't do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

They came today! Don't even know which of these new Knipex I like best but the x-cuts are highly recommended. Cobra ES is fantastic as well. The 6" pliers wrench is a great size. I thought I might be going overboard with Cobras and pliers wrench sizes but the head difference is actually fairly noticeable. Definitely different use scenarios for the 5" and 6". The 5" cobra and pliers wrench are pretty much hobby tools realistically. 

• Like 1