For those running the Surge impact?

SetBuilder

20 minutes ago, SetBuilder said:

I only use 2 amp red lithium batteries on my impacts to save weight. I have 4, 5 amp but I use them for circular saw, drills, sawzall etc. 

I only had one instance where the power cut out but like I said, it was a large bolt.

What size screws are you driving when it happens?

My 2757 has more power, but I rarely use it since buying the Surge.

Im my work I'm mainly driving 1 3/4 to 3 in drywall screws. 

Not too sure what it was. Probably a long #10 into a 4x4. Was playing around with it when I got it.

Although yesterday I tried it with a 3/8 lag into a lead concrete sleeve. That was a no go. Power cut out right away. Wasn't expecting to be up to the task. The first gen fuel didn't skip a beat. I'm just not a fan of how it just cuts off power instead of limiting current. In more realistic usage where it would work just slowly it'll cut out. 

I do love how it works with smaller fasteners and doesn't trash bits. Just thrown off by the torque limit. If it were just underpowered that would be one thing but this will just stop doing the job. If I didn't know and didn't have my impact driver with me I would be pissed.

It is great for the vast majority of what I do. Just has one large downfall.

• 3 months later...
On 3/19/2017 at 6:45 PM, Biggie said:

I don't see how there wouldn't be a market for a m12 surge.  I would think this market doesn't need high torque or high production, if they did they would probably be running a 18v of some type.  But a lot of these people are working indoors (maintenance, plumber, punch list) and in small areas such as cabinets running mostly small fasters.  As far as I'm concerned those are places the low noise level of the surge are really going to shine.

I've been all about the m12 tools for the past 4 years, the compact batteries are what I liked the most. They allow you fit in tight spaces. Recently picked up the surge with the "compact" m18 batteries and it is my go to impact, but the only complaint is the how large the m18 batteries are. I'd love an m12 verision. But I think we need someone to make an actual compact battery for the m18 line. Something like the Makita 12v battery. It would save almost an inch which would be very helpful. I know using longer bits help, but I think shorter is always better. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2725.PNG

• Like 2

@M1Deuce how would you propose that? The Makita uses 3 18650 sized lithium ion cells for 10.8v nominal voltage. The M18 is 66% larger just based on the fact it uses 5 18650 cells. The M12 puts those same 3 cells as the Makita in the grip of the tool, leading to no base under the handle but a fat grip.

The Surge is a fairly weak tool (realistically specialized might be a better description) so either power suffers or runtime suffers tremendously; the housing and mechanism of the tool remain the same size but the handle changes slightly. I don't suspect there is a large market for that tool but maybe 2018 will show otherwise. 

So I read somewhere about one of the other fluid impacts not really being good for building a deck. Would those who have one would you consider the M18 appropriate for deck building?

8 hours ago, BK13 said:

So I read somewhere about one of the other fluid impacts not really being good for building a deck. Would those who have one would you consider the M18 appropriate for deck building?

I have built two different decks using the M18 fuel. One the first generation, the second being the one-key. I didn't have a problem with either one, as they both drove screws just fine for me.

12 hours ago, BK13 said:

Perhaps that might be from the Ridgid's tendency to vibrate pretty heavily when under strain driving long lags.  Putting in decking screws shouldn't be any challenge at all for it. Just last summer, I built a deck using my M12 Fuel impact driver for everything but the 6"lags.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FrosBros82 said:

I have built two different decks using the M18 fuel. One the first generation, the second being the one-key. I didn't have a problem with either one, as they both drove screws just fine for me.

The Surge?

• 7 months later...
I think its something in the electronics, I was able to get it working normal switching back and forth between forward and reverse a few times, but then it crapped out again.  Switching torque settings had no change in getting power back to normal.
There is a life span of the oil inside. I've heard of people heating up the fluid from heavy use and losing impacting strength.