For those running the Surge impact?

SetBuilder

9 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

Today was the first task my surge could not handle. Someone tighten on the crows feet on the steel decks with either a dewalt or a makita and the Surge could not loosen it. Its basically a 1/2in bolt with a 15/16 nut. My father Fuel 1/4 impact loosened it, with no problem.

Huh interesting ???. I guess it was over torqued for the surge?

I have a video or pictures I will try to get of me running a 5/8 by 4'' lag into a 4x4 of oak it did the job, but it did stop once or twice

On 1/24/2017 at 11:17 PM, SetBuilder said:

Today was the first task my surge could not handle. Someone tightened on the crows feet on the steel decks with either a dewalt or a makita and the Surge could not loosen it. Its basically a 1/2in bolt with a 15/16 nut. My other Fuel 1/4 impact loosened it, with no problem.

That's a pretty big nut for a driver to handle, even if you got it loose with one... Job for elbow grease and ratchet or impact wrench

• Like 2

On 1/25/2017 at 6:50 AM, Milwaukee_man_stan said:

Huh interesting ???. I guess it was over torqued for the surge?

I have a video or pictures I will try to get of me running a 5/8 by 4'' lag into a 4x4 of oak it did the job, but it did stop once or twice

Actually I did it a second time and it didn't stop it actually bypassed very smoothly still haven't been able to get a video.

• Like 1

I just got a surge and have to say I'm really impressed with just how quiet they are.  I know all the youtube videos show that it's quieter on a meter but in the videos you really don't hear the difference like you do in person. I've used it very little but with a 3" deck screw and a #10 self tapper it matches performance with a 2753.  I also find the self tapper mode to be similar to the 2753 which for my applications (16ga w/#10x3/4") isn't very useful.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Toolbarn has a special for those one their email list, the Surge with 2 5.0 batteries and charger for (IIRC) $249, and a combo kit with the Fuel 2nd Gen Hammer Drill, charger, 2 5.0 batteries, for $322. Just bought the combo kit as I don't have a powerful drill and this was two birds with one stone, not to mention the savings! Looking forward to trying out my first 18v red tools!

• Like 2

I wonder if they can make an M12 version of the surge or if the 12v platform doesn't produce sufficient power to run the oil impeller.

I'm sure they could tweak it down to a 12v tool, how cool could that be even at 30% less power than the 18v it would probably be equal in speed on regular screws than a conventional brushed impact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/17/2017 at 10:25 AM, khariV said:

I wonder if they can make an M12 version of the surge or if the 12v platform doesn't produce sufficient power to run the oil impeller.

They have to first produce the m18 surge in OneKey version lol

On 3/18/2017 at 10:40 AM, Bremon said:

Might just be me but I can see the purpose of an M18 Surge. It's on my to do list. An M12 surge at a premium price with the power of a brushed M12 impact? Woof. 

i meant m18 brushed... but still for the cost and size not sure if it would be beneficial

• Like 1

I don't see how there wouldn't be a market for a m12 surge.  I would think this market doesn't need high torque or high production, if they did they would probably be running a 18v of some type.  But a lot of these people are working indoors (maintenance, plumber, punch list) and in small areas such as cabinets running mostly small fasters.  As far as I'm concerned those are places the low noise level of the surge are really going to shine.

The M18 surge is already shorter than the M12 Fuel. Even the 2753 is shorter, but the 18v are fatter. How much can the Surge design be shrunk and still be functional? The Surge is already limited power-wise, but works well for standard fasteners. How much power can they shave off and keep it functional; how much can the price shrink to make it worth buying a 12v when 18v is already so small and light?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Biggie said:

Yea I prefer the 18v too, they're so powerful and compact.  I just assume the guys running a m12 will want the quiet surge the same way I wanted it with the m18 surge.  As long as they can keep similar power to the current m12 fuel I would think it'd be a hit.

I think Milwaukee's been conspicuously quiet with their 12v Fuel fasteners in general. I'm amazed that they have no plans to release more compact versions of their current 12v Fuel fasteners given they came out 4+ years ago and aren't much smaller than a lot of 18v stuff on the market. I'd expect a 2nd gen 12v Fuel fastener lineup before the release of a 12v Surge TBH.

Likely not. The CT m12 batteries fit in the handle, a slide pack adds bulk to the base of the unit. A second gen (slimmed down rather than powered up) M12 Fuel should be able to access many places an M18 can't. Should. Milwaukee likes to chase power though so I'm not convinced the M12s will go on the type of diet they could. More like a juice cleanse and steroid regimen knowing Milwaukee. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't mock me for asking this, as I'm relatively inexperienced when it comes to reading power tool specs. Is the Surge less powerful than most 12v impacts? I'm only asking due to the lower torque put out. I've used the tool to drive 3" decking screws with ease, but I was just curious if it was worth it to purchase a 2nd Gen Fuel impact to handle longer screws.

Because its a hydrolic drive they rate it in sustained torque instead of peak torque which is what all other impacts are measured by.  I'm sure it's a marketing thing as most specs are but how the tools performs is the important thing.  With smaller fasteners the surge is able to perform as well as most of your higher end impacts but if you get much bigger than like you say a 3" deck screw, a traditional impact is going to out perform it.  So if you're running lag bolts all day you probably would benefit from a 2753 or even possibly a impact wrench.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BababooeyHTJ said:

Is the torque cut off in this video normal operation? Mine does it too. Even with larger wood screws and I'm not even talking about 1/4 lags. It's kind of annoying.

The video is way too long and slow for me to watch. The only time I ever had the torque cut off was when I was trying to loosen a nut on a 1/2 in bolt. It was just beyond the capabilities of the gun.

Ive driven 5 and 6in screws into 2x4s and 4x4s with no issues. 

I only use 2 amp red lithium batteries on my impacts to save weight. I have 4, 5 amp but I use them for circular saw, drills, sawzall etc. 

I only had one instance where the power cut out but like I said, it was a large bolt.

What size screws are you driving when it happens?

My 2757 has more power, but I rarely use it since buying the Surge.

Im my work I'm mainly driving 1 3/4 to 3 in drywall screws.