SUV Hotrod :)

rrmccabe

Just noticed there was an automotive forum here :)

In 2006 I bought a new Trailblazer SS for a "work vehicle". These were SUVs that GM stuffed a 395 HP LS2 Corvette motor in. They had special wheels, bumpers, suspension, interior and other misc items.

Seemed pretty fast at the time but before it had 1200 miles on the odometer I had it custom tuned, installed E-fans, under-drive pulley and custom 4" intake. That was fun for about a year and then it got a mild stall converter and slightly upgraded transmission and a more aggressive tune.

Along the way there was a camshaft swap, forged rods and pistons, a larger stall converter, RPM stage VI transmission and nitrous. That was good enough for the next 8 years and then I decided to freshen things up cosmetically and with a new 408 stroker motor.

So a year ago I jerked the motor out, repainted the frame, inner fenders, firewall and cleaned everything up cosmetically. Had Texas Speed build a 650HP stroker motor and installed that. Added a carbon fiber hood, custom real valance that would allow dual quad tip exhaust and a few other things.

It now has about 34,000 miles on it but only sees about 3000 miles a year during the summer months.

Its AWD and first time on the dyno put almost 500hp to all 4 wheels without the nitrous. I expect it to make about 750HP to the wheels when I "flip the switch". Maybe more.

Inside it has custom racing pedals, pillar column with air/fuel, fuel pressure and nitrous pressure gauges and a 900 watt Avic/JL Audio sound system.

Probably the most fun thing about it is that most people dont expect it.

tbss (2).jpg

tbss (1).jpg

tbss (3).jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, tugnut1 said:

Holy Crap Rich!  I knew you had this "fast" trail blazer, but I didn't know it was that bad ass.  

Yea John, got to have something fast when you run out of Kreg screws and the glue is drying :)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Is that a stroker LSX or something else. The LSX is a crate engine GM sells which is a beast, the new 454. The logo is different than the LSX logo I've seen...but obviously work has been done to it.

Brian,

Its a new 408 built by Texas Speed based on the LQ9 block. Callies crank, rods, etc

If you are talking about the LSX logo on the intake, That is the fast 102mm intake logo. Nothing to do with the motor build. Just the intake I chose. See link here

This motor is custom built from the ground up. Not a crate motor.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

Brian,

Its a new 408 built by Texas Speed based on the LQ9 block. Callies crank, rods, etc

If you are talking about the LSX logo on the intake, That is the fast 102mm intake logo. Nothing to do with the motor build. Just the intake I chose. See link here

This motor is custom built from the ground up. Not a crate motor.

Thats what I figured, most people don't even know the LSX motor exists because it's super expensive...so a lot of people name stuff or call stuff LSX using X as either a placeholder for the engine designation number or a name of a product for LS engines.

That's a crazy awesome setup

25 minutes ago, NicholasShetley said:

Since it is AWD can it smoke all four tires at once? I doubt many people expect this car to be that fast.

I has very little spin. I have not used the nitrous on this motor yet so I dont know how much difference that will make but for the most part it just hooks and goes.  If pavement is cold then its a different story.