Rrich1's shop project builds.

rrich1

Figured I am going to be doing a few of these coming up and putting them into one thread might be a better idea.

So far to upgrade the shop...I mean garage I have built the flip top table stand and a clamp rack. The next projects is more storage, this time for the table saw. I got the idea from Ryan at shop built on YouTube. He built a storage unit into the wing of the table saw. This solves a lot of problems and keeps the necessary tools and accessories close by. Need to get to the gym today so I was only able to get all of the pieces rough cut except for the bottom.

The plan right now is to put it to the right of the steel extension wing. I'm hoping it won't be too much weight for the bars. I will need to drill a few more holes into the steel I believe. 467b71b676173586ebc390dad3cc1f0a.jpg

7b935221f98dfc7fbff214b5a19fcc32.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I have no doubt the bars will be plenty strong. The biggest concern would be what you put in it as far as weight becoming tipsy.

Definitely wasted space down there that would be nice to reclaim.

Basically it will be all table saw and router table. Micro jigs, extra blade, Angle guage, throat plates, and handle to move the router up and down. The heaviest thing would be a dado stack. On the other side I already built a router table so I don't think there will be any tipping issues. 577520e0393a644cbee4801415d0701f.jpgd8c7874b85596ea4683896ebdf84b90e.jpg

• Like 3

That's a great idea. I have the same Delta table saw sitting in my garage at my other home. Let me know how it works out after you get it going.

Will do. I'm really excited for this one and think it will work out really well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

I have to say I like the wheel setup on your table saw better than most I have seen. Nice design.

it works really well unless you hit a low spot in the garage. my floor has some dips in it. other than that I like the design a lot.

Well it is essentially done. I need to get some bolts to attach it to the rails as well as drill the holes. I routed out a spot on the lid and the box itself to make it easy to open. I used. 1/4" round bit but might switch it to a 1/2" to get some more grip. Lining up the door is a pain and at the moment isn't lines up exactly front to back. Might try to adjust it when it is on the saw or just trim the back and be done with it. Doesn't have to be lined up exactly. cf9a2b1b8755af1c2531e2bba8a312c8.jpgf23126179e167e82e82180c9e7c64890.jpg

• Like 6

Project finished. Well done anyways. There is no finish on it. Should I put some on or just leave it bare? For the whole 5 minutes I've had it on I really like it. I see this being extremely useful. Before I didn't have any good places to put my router table parts. Now I do and everything for the table saw as well! Plenty of room to spare too. b68f36b0f851ec661c16d3ce25746927.jpgfb7d4785c40ac2cc21e388e6fda152d8.jpga95630ce381d20242fa3044e839ae013.jpg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Project finished. Well done anyways. There is no finish on it. Should I put some on or just leave it bare? For the whole 5 minutes I've had it on I really like it. I see this being extremely useful. Before I didn't have any good places to put my router table parts. Now I do and everything for the table saw as well! Plenty of room to spare too. b68f36b0f851ec661c16d3ce25746927.jpgfb7d4785c40ac2cc21e388e6fda152d8.jpga95630ce381d20242fa3044e839ae013.jpg

Wow! That's awesome Rich! If you wanted to finish it go for it, I'd recommend the same as Comp for the wax though. Make thing slide nice and easy. Color? That's a wide open book. Neat stuff dude!

• Like 1

This is the first time I am seeing a table saw insert for storage.  Great idea.  

When I searched for it online to see if it had been done the only video I could find was of Ryan at shop built on YouTube. If you don't watch him I highly recommend his videos.

Also while we are in the subject of wax....I use the sameness wax Comp posted but for my tools, cast iron and planes, chisels etc they get the Renaissance Wax treatment :)

Although I have used it on wood for drawer runners I'd stick with Tim for cast iron after it's been treated. It's pretty expensive stuff comparatively.

https://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-XTL-8004-Wax-Polish-65ml/dp/B003AJWN62

I still have not found anything that protects the way I want. I have issues with getting rust on table saw as there is moisture in my garage from washing around the corner, etc.  I have tried Boshield and Johnson's paste wax which I see recommended often.

Does anyone have experience with Johnson's vs this Minwax. I am to the point that I really dont feel there is an answer so I just keep the rust removed and wax applied.I bought a table saw cover which was almost worse.

I still have not found anything that protects the way I want. I have issues with getting rust on table saw as there is moisture in my garage from washing around the corner, etc.  I have tried Boshield and Johnson's paste wax which I see recommended often.

Does anyone have experience with Johnson's vs this Minwax. I am to the point that I really dont feel there is an answer so I just keep the rust removed and wax applied.I bought a table saw cover which was almost worse.

I've been using water based polyurethane for the last 8 months or so with great results. Clean the top and apply a coat or two. Jon heitz on YouTube did a rust test and it performed really well.