Drill Press Vise Mount

Conductor562

As you may remember, I scored a Wilton CS4 drill press vise for Christmas. Problem is, my drill press (Jet JDP-17) has the XL woodworking table and seeing how it's not a 360* rotating table, mounting a vise to it is a challenge. 

I spent awhile looking around around the internet to see what solutions others had come up with, and while there were a couple clever ones, I couldn't find anything that I thought would work well. After awhile I came to the conclusion I was over thinking the situation, and opted for a simple but sufficient solution. 

Conductor Jr. and I took a couple 12" pieces of angle, a 5-12" x 9" piece of 1/4" plate, and welded us up a mount. He helped with the cutting, did most of the grinding himself, and also learned about beveling a seam for welding and got to drill metal for the first time. While it still needs to be painted, and it's not a high quality production, he really enjoyed himself and that makes it a huge success. 

IMG_6874.JPG

The design will allow me to move the vise back and fourth along the T-Slots and use the cross slide to fine tune from there. It will be secured with wing nuts on the top side and in testing, it was very secure. 

IMG_6875.JPG

I'll post some more pics as it gets finished. He's super proud of his work. Not bad considering most of it was done by an 8 year old ?

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

FINALLY got this thing painted and mounted up. The wing nuts worked out great. 1/4-1/2 turn is all it takes to tighten or loosen the mount. I polished up the bottom of the slides for easy moving. 2 bolts is all you really need to tighten. 

IMG_7497.thumb.JPG.e24a95f7a603bb3f28adf758ae4c6d7d.JPG

After getting it mounted up and playing with it, I'm glad I went with the cross slide. I drilled and tapped extra holes to allow me to use the mount with my little vise, but I don't foresee using it much. Simple little project, but I like it. 

IMG_7496.thumb.JPG.92e1ae76d7951dea8226426c1bffcdb6.JPG

And yes, my door leaks ?

• Like 2

On 4/20/2017 at 9:25 PM, Conductor562 said:

FINALLY got this thing painted and mounted up. The wing nuts worked out great. 1/4-1/2 turn is all it takes to tighten or loosen the mount. I polished up the bottom of the slides for easy moving. 2 bolts is all you really need to tighten. 

IMG_7497.thumb.JPG.e24a95f7a603bb3f28adf758ae4c6d7d.JPG

After getting it mounted up and playing with it, I'm glad I went with the cross slide. I drilled and tapped extra holes to allow me to use the mount with my little vise, but I don't foresee using it much. Simple little project, but I like it. 

IMG_7496.thumb.JPG.92e1ae76d7951dea8226426c1bffcdb6.JPG

And yes, my door leaks ?

Looks great bro?? and mine to man it's really irritating ?