I Am So sick of porter cable

CATERPILLAR

So as you guys know I posted about 5" porter cable orbital sanders awhile back . I just put a couple new pads on them and used the air compressor to blow wood dust out of them. Also the screw's they use is stupid they use toques screws while makita still uses Philips and how 25 year old sanders last longer then these pieces of shit ....... Porter Cable once used to be an awesome company making routers to drills . where did that company go ? Now there routers last 5 years and their bearings go out and getting a deal from a tool repair shop is 50 a piece normaly is more but I know the guy but still THEY NEED TO STEP UP THERE GAME !! Many of the schools sanders have died I would say 10 porter cables what a joke . the picture below is what we have left

20170201_120106.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/2/2017 at 9:06 AM, CATERPILLAR said:

So as you guys know I posted about 5" porter cable orbital sanders awhile back . I just put a couple new pads on them and used the air compressor to blow wood dust out of them. Also the screw's they use is stupid they use toques screws while makita still uses Philips and how 25 year old sanders last longer then these pieces of shit ....... Porter Cable once used to be an awesome company making routers to drills . where did that company go ? Now there routers last 5 years and their bearings go out and getting a deal from a tool repair shop is 50 a piece normaly is more but I know the guy but still THEY NEED TO STEP UP THERE GAME !! Many of the schools sanders have died I would say 10 porter cables what a joke . the picture below is what we have left

20170201_120106.jpg

What are they 50 dollar sanders used by kids who have no idea what they are doing? If you get 5 years out of them, then I don't think you could ask for much more.

To me a 50.00 sander is disposable.

My mid sized and 3 1/4 hp routers are both PC and are over 10 years old. All the routers at work are PC and they get used and abused. The only common thing I see that goes bad on them is the on / off switch and the plastic top covers get cracked. But that is because people trip over the cords and they get pulled off the work benches.  To me PC routers are the best meat and potatoes routers on the market.

We also have a Festool router but it stays in the tool room and only gets used for certain reasons.

I also would bet that PC would tell you not to use compressed air to clean their sanders or any of their tools, as it just drives dust particles INTO the bearings.

Have you emailed PC with your complaints, how did they respond?

EDIT.... Actually they are 40.00 sanders. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-5-in-Random-Orbital-Sander-382/203054710?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D25T-PowerTools|&gclid=Cj0KEQiAt9vEBRDQmPSow-q5gs8BEiQAaWSEDqdJ7L-ZLgh2X67fXu7K66RcRbrE1xmDye1x1OpPO1oaAhLE8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 2

What are they 50 dollar sanders used by kids who have no idea what they are doing? If you get 5 years out of them, then I don't think you could ask for much more.

My mid sized and 3 1/4 hp routers are both PC and are over 10 years old. All the routers at work are PC and they get used and abused. The only common thing I see that goes bad on them is the on / off switch and the plastic top covers get cracked. But that is because people trip over the cords and they get pulled off the work benches.  To me PC routers are the best meat and potatoes routers on the market.

We also have a Festool router but it stays in the tool room and only gets used for certain reasons.

I also would bet that PC would tell you not to use compressed air to clean their sanders or any of their tools, as it just drives dust particles INTO the bearings.

EDIT.... Actually they are 40.00 sanders. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cable-5-in-Random-Orbital-Sander-382/203054710?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D25T-PowerTools|&gclid=Cj0KEQiAt9vEBRDQmPSow-q5gs8BEiQAaWSEDqdJ7L-ZLgh2X67fXu7K66RcRbrE1xmDye1x1OpPO1oaAhLE8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've had mine a few years and it's held up great, very comfortable to use for General sanding, and I paid 35 for mine ha ha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

So makita sanders can last 20 + years and when they bought them not being much more , also most of the routers at my school sound like shit because porter cable can't use high quality bearings . It doesn't seem like I care too much what they say .. I didn't blow them out full blast 2 I know what the fuck I am doing and it doesn't seem that I want to waste my time emailing a shitty company its there problem if they don't want to make quality tools 

1 hour ago, CATERPILLAR said:

So makita sanders can last 20 + years and when they bought them not being much more , also most of the routers at my school sound like shit because porter cable can't use high quality bearings . It doesn't seem like I care too much what they say .. I didn't blow them out full blast 2 I know what the fuck I am doing and it doesn't seem that I want to waste my time emailing a shitty company its there problem if they don't want to make quality tools 

Do you have Makita sanders at your school as well, are they run side by side with the PC ones?  What router models are you talking about, how are they used?

You say you won't email the company as its a waste of your time, yet posting rants here every time someone breaks a tool is a better use of your time? What if they would replace them free of charge, would that still be a waste of your time?

4 minutes ago, CATERPILLAR said:

What ? I said it's a pain when they have torxs and u don't have a screw driver on u 

I had to change the axles in my VW Passat this weekend. I needed a 17mm hex key and a 8mm triple 12pt  square socket. Hardly something the average person has in their tool box. Should I have started a thread about it on some auto repair forum or just ordered the tools I needed for the job? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SetBuilder said:

Do you have Makita sanders at your school as well, are they run side by side with the PC ones?  What router models are you talking about, how are they used?

You say you won't email the company as its a waste of your time, yet posting rants here every time someone breaks a tool is a better use of your time? What if they would replace them free of charge, would that still be a waste of your time?

Not any more I got them they had little to no issues a bunch of models I don't keep track ,  I can do what ever the fuck I want who cares if I rant on here ? It seems no one but u . also its the high schools money so why should I care ???

Just now, SetBuilder said:

I had to change the axles in my VW Passat this weekend. I needed a 17mm hex key and a 8mm triple 12pt  square socket. Hardly something the average person has in their tool box. Should I have started a thread about it on some auto repair forum or just ordered the tools I needed for the job? 

Wtf are you saying stop being an asshole . I was stating a fact and I didn't I know I had to repair them 

Ah man the triple square for the VW yes they are so proprietary, gotta be so special..

4 hours ago, phffter said:

all my pc gear was bought long ago, when they made things in Jackson, Tenn

now that i think of it, i should look at my 'tiger claws' for coo.

anyone got a 'tiger cub' they wanna let go?.

Where's good place to find batteries for those tools? I'm asking for a friend. no seriously, i am hah

• Like 1

Hey, to bad about the Porter Cable sanders AND the Passat guys. Looks like a bunch of bad luck all around the board. PC used to be ahead of the game in a lot of areas a while back and though they are hitting the DIY market with some really decent tools and thoughtful research, some of the tools haven't fared so well. Kind of like VW! My Father in Law has one of the emission vehicles and he's somewhat hot under the collar about that one. But once you have a penchant for all things Germanic you have to buy special tools when they go kaput but generally they are at the top of their game.

Thankfully we all have a great place to vent about it. That's what makes this place so awesome. We've got guys like Trevor who are leading the way in school and a bright future to ancient old farts like Comp ( :P ) who have a world of experience from the Stone Age using rocks to beat in bone nails, to pre ancient farts like me who know how to talk the talk but not walk the walk :D 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Hey, to bad about the Porter Cable sanders AND the Passat guys. Looks like a bunch of bad luck all around the board. PC used to be ahead of the game in a lot of areas a while back and though they are hitting the DIY market with some really decent tools and thoughtful research, some of the tools haven't fared so well. Kind of like VW! My Father in Law has one of the emission vehicles and he's somewhat hot under the collar about that one. But once you have a penchant for all things Germanic you have to buy special tools when they go kaput but generally they are at the top of their game.

Thankfully we all have a great place to vent about it. That's what makes this place so awesome. We've got guys like Trevor who are leading the way in school and a bright future to ancient old farts like Comp ( :P ) who have a world of experience from the Stone Age using rocks to beat in bone nails, to pre ancient farts like me who know how to talk the talk but not walk the walk :D 

Hey I remember those stone age tools lol with a bit of comp flair to them..

modern-stone-age-tools.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Thanks man ? lol comp I don't think he is that old lol ???