Opinions on 18v sub-compact?

aabee

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about purchasing the 18v subcompact brushless combo kit with the free battery promo. I already own a few brushless 18v Hitachi tools but am looking for something smaller for lighter-medium duty applications. I considered going 12v but I'm intrigued by this set. Has anyone here used them, and if so would you recommend them? Thank you!

• Like 1

Well I took the 12v route mainly I have the batteries and the power difference isn't huge between the 12v and 18v, brushless drills in each line same form factor so that was my thought process to get where I am, assess your needs and what you have that's a great deal for the sub compact kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the feedback everyone. This might be a longshot, but has anyone used both these and the new 12v brushless line, and if so how do they compare in total weight/performance? Thanks again!

Other than playing with the sub compact in the store no but I have the 12v BL and its an awesome drill, loads of power, very similar in power but the 18v will always edge over it, when it boils down what line up do you want, in pro makita 12v cxt but its a small line, more to offer in the 18v platform and you may be better off that route

Jimbo

sent from tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I can't give an opinion of the impact driver that is offered with the US sub-compact kit because it's not available in the UK, otherwise I'd perhaps tried it but thinking about it, I find it to be a completely pointless offering. Looking at it, it's perhaps lighter but lacking in features and power over the TD170, but certainly no great deal smaller. The drill however I can comment on. It's part of my daily kit along side the DHP481 and DF332.

While the 18v sub drill is heavier than the 12(10.8)v it has a massive reduction in size and weight so it's worth while if you need a high RPM drill with plenty torque behind it for a drill of its size without completely replacing the need of something like the DHP484 or DHP481. That is also something worth while if you're looking into smaller driller. the 12v Brushless has plenty grunt for a drill of its size and with a 2ah battery I can get a couple of days average use on it.

As for drivers to complement the drills; if you're looking at the 18v sub compact, like I said, I can't see the point in just using your standard brushless driver as there's no real size benefit, only a slight reduction in weight while having a massive reduction in power. If you're looking at the 12v line instead the TD111 brushless is a brilliant piece of kit and well worth getting along side the 12v BL drill. Providing it's available where you are.

I can't give an opinion of the impact driver that is offered with the US sub-compact kit because it's not available in the UK, otherwise I'd perhaps tried it but thinking about it, I find it to be a completely pointless offering. Looking at it, it's perhaps lighter but lacking in features and power over the TD170, but certainly no great deal smaller. The drill however I can comment on. It's part of my daily kit along side the DHP481 and DF332.

While the 18v sub drill is heavier than the 12(10.8)v it has a massive reduction in size and weight so it's worth while if you need a high RPM drill with plenty torque behind it for a drill of its size without completely replacing the need of something like the DHP484 or DHP481. That is also something worth while if you're looking into smaller driller. the 12v Brushless has plenty grunt for a drill of its size and with a 2ah battery I can get a couple of days average use on it.

As for drivers to complement the drills; if you're looking at the 18v sub compact, like I said, I can't see the point in just using your standard brushless driver as there's no real size benefit, only a slight reduction in weight while having a massive reduction in power. If you're looking at the 12v line instead the TD111 brushless is a brilliant piece of kit and well worth getting along side the 12v BL drill. Providing it's available where you are.

It's longer than the 170 but skinnier, lacks in power too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/22/2017 at 11:14 PM, D W said:

I would love to see how well this drill compares with Metabo's BS 18 Quick

its slightly smaller than the bs 18 quick, the quick has hammer function and has more power and it has a fine tuned trigger function, you can also change out the chuck, compared to the price of the makita kit the metabo has a premium price. The Drill alone is close to 200$ and and is not brushless, The SB 18 LT BL Q isn't available in america yet so you have to get it from europe and that commands a high price, close to 300$ w/ shipping. The SB 18 LT BL is slightly bigger but has more power as well and is brushless and as of now there is no sub/compact brushless version of an impact driver available (IIRC). All in all the makita is a better choice as its cheaper than its metabo counterpart, though I don't see the need for a sub compact 18v kit where there are 12v or 10.8v kits that can do the job these can.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pancing said:

its slightly smaller than the bs 18 quick, the quick has hammer function and has more power and it has a fine tuned trigger function, you can also change out the chuck, compared to the price of the makita kit the metabo has a premium price. The Drill alone is close to 200$ and and is not brushless, The SB 18 LT BL Q isn't available in america yet so you have to get it from europe and that commands a high price, close to 300$ w/ shipping. The SB 18 LT BL is slightly bigger but has more power as well and is brushless and as of now there is no sub/compact brushless version of an impact driver available (IIRC). All in all the makita is a better choice as its cheaper than its metabo counterpart, though I don't see the need for a sub compact 18v kit where there are 12v or 10.8v kits that can do the job these can.

12v and 10.8v may be able to do these jobs but they are a different battery platform. With subcompact you get the size benefits of 12v/10.8v tools but get to stay within the same battery platform. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jronman said:

12v and 10.8v may be able to do these jobs but they are a different battery platform. With subcompact you get the size benefits of 12v/10.8v tools but get to stay within the same battery platform. 

Agreed bro, that 18v impact is about the same size as the 12v which is great. Chris doesn't need ANOTHER battery platform!!!! 

8 hours ago, pancing said:

The bs 18 quick is non hammer.

You don't hear much about Jet.com, but they have the brushless sub-compact for the same price as home depot plus a 15% off first order coupon so this may be worth a gander. https://jet.com/product/detail/48374d7776d84169b7e7a66a3c3bb9a3?jcmp=pla:ggl:a_nj_dur_gen_hardware_a1_b2:tools_tool_sets_power_tool_combo_sets_a1_other:na:PLA_649312290_30291403462_pla-161692778940:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15

2 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Agreed bro, that 18v impact is about the same size as the 12v which is great. Chris doesn't need ANOTHER battery platform!!!! 

Generic trade guys says, "don't buy flexvolt cause different battery platform than 20v stuff"... proceeds to buy into a 12v platform.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

It finally arrived and I can tell you the Makita is easily the better drill out of the two, for many reasons. The biggest reason; I may have a lemon but the Metabo is not at all smooth, it sounds and feels sort of like you're angle grinding rubber. 

The Makita is very smooth, has a much brighter light that stays on (Metabo does not), smoother trigger, 13mm chuck, higher rpm, feels just as powerful, better belt clip...I could keep going. 

The Metabo is slightly lighter in weight but doesn't really compare in anything else other than grip, both are great. The Metabo feels slightly bigger and more like a universal shape, whereas the Makita feels thinner and more like a custom ergo shape (you have to hold it properly and deep into your hand or the grip can feel uncomfortable). I find it hard to decide which grip is better.

IMG_20170511_154512.jpg

IMG_20170511_144613.jpg

IMG_20170511_151504.jpg

IMG_20170511_144544.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, D W said:

It finally arrived and I can tell you the Makita is easily the better drill out of the two, for many reasons. The biggest reason; I may have a lemon but the Metabo is not at all smooth, it sounds and feels sort of like you're angle grinding rubber. 

The Makita is very smooth, has a much brighter light that stays on (Metabo does not), smoother trigger, 13mm chuck, higher rpm, feels just as powerful, better belt clip...I could keep going. 

The Metabo is slightly lighter in weight but doesn't really compare in anything else other than grip, both are great. The Metabo feels slightly bigger and more like a universal shape, whereas the Makita feels thinner and more like a custom ergo shape (you have to hold it properly and deep into your hand or the grip can feel uncomfortable). I find it hard to decide which grip is better.

IMG_20170511_154512.jpg

IMG_20170511_144613.jpg

IMG_20170511_151504.jpg

IMG_20170511_144544.jpg

I'd love to get the drill, I have the compact impact and absolutely love it, but I really cannot see buying it as I am completely drilled up (Dewalt 20v hammer, Festool T18, CXS and TXS). 

• Like 1