Dear Dewalt...

Hugh Jass

Well I agree but the patents likely fall under th patent corporate umbrella, and sales of ridgid could gauge potential interest in a hypothetical Milwaukee. You know how much big companies love market research and focus groups for better or worse (much worse). It's extra frustrating knowing Milwaukee has their rapid prototype development process to hammer out and iterate on ideas quickly, yet we still don't always get home run products. 

Sure I get that, but that applies to only that umbrella. Look at Stanley Black and Decker for instance and Porter Cable, and the relationship to Dewalt. Oh wait, there isn't one... it's complete and total shit now. Only thing missing from this mismatch is if they bought out Craftsman and put that into the mix...oh wait, that actually happened. Dewalt is the only competitive brand in the cordless market for their umbrella. Everything else is something I'd hand my kid to go beat with sticks and rocks in the woods for fun. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StrippedScrew said:

I'm still waiting for Dewalt to come out with their version of the makita and Milwaukee quiet impact driver. 

"No plans at this time". Considering how long it took Milwaukee to ape Makita on that one I wouldn't hold my breath unless osha mandates their use lol. 

33 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

You might want to look into cryogenic freezing. 

Ahahaha...

Could you imagine what Makita could do with their impacts (especially the hydraulic driver!) if they had the marketing savvy of milwaukee.... Literally no one around here has Makita, except a few sad dusty remains at our local lumber yard, and that's being generous. All the supply houses around here is all Milwaukee, you know the moment you walk in, you can't ignore it. Every single one I've gone to, BOOM a shelf/wall of red, sale pamphlets on the counter etc.... There is also Klein, Lenox, greenlee etc hand tools, but it's only ever been milwaukee power tools. While we know what's out there because we're tool freaks, the majority of the guys in a job like mine go to these places and what they see is all they know. Sure, they might go to Lowe's for DeWalt or Bosch, but Makita is NOWHERE around here. Plus with the promos Milwaukee pushes, that's what they go for. 

DeWalt might be big at HD, but Lowe's selection is laughable here. 

3 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Ahahaha...

Could you imagine what Makita could do with their impacts (especially the hydraulic driver!) if they had the marketing savvy of milwaukee.... Literally no one around here has Makita, except a few sad dusty remains at our local lumber yard, and that's being generous. All the supply houses around here is all Milwaukee, you know the moment you walk in, you can't ignore it. Every single one I've gone to, BOOM a shelf/wall of red, sale pamphlets on the counter etc.... There is also Klein, Lenox, greenlee etc hand tools, but it's only ever been milwaukee power tools. While we know what's out there because we're tool freaks, the majority of the guys in a job like mine go to these places and what they see is all they know. Sure, they might go to Lowe's for DeWalt or Bosch, but Makita is NOWHERE around here. Plus with the promos Milwaukee pushes, that's what they go for. 

DeWalt might be big at HD, but Lowe's selection is laughable here. 

Also their kits can be weird as well like iv seen a kit which came with a drill and a weed wacker. I mean who thought that was a good idea.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bremon said:

As opposed to 3-4 NPS in a row where we were all excited for new Fuel models? Drill. Hammer drill. Impact driver. Impact wrench. High torque impact wrench. Circular saw. Sawzall. Grinder. Drill (again). Hammer drill (again). Impact driver (again). Impact wrench (again) Grinder (again). Circular saw (again). And then they release an entire line of SKUs of the same tools with One Key. To say that all manufacturers don't release the same things over and over again is disingenuous at best. Look at Makita's fetish for impact drivers. 

The FlexVolt lineup consists of what, at this point, 7 tools? 12" mitres. Stud/Joist drill. 7.25" circ. table saw. Grinder. Recip. Two repeats from 20v Max and a third which is a repeat (circ saw) but their first 7.25" blade. To say the 12" mitres are a repeat of the Tonka toy 7.25" brushed slider is laughable.

Reads like garage journal in here some days. Don't get me wrong, I love Milwaukee as much as the next guy, and they have thousands of dollars of my money, but it's ok for them not to be class-leading in every category, competition is good for the breed. 

And in case anyone needs a reminder of what categories they aren't class leading in the list likely consists of drill, hammer drill, impact driver, recip, sliding mitre, grinder, circ saw, high torque impact wrench, hell, even the Super Hawg is outmatched and comes down to form factor preference. Sad to say it seems like the only categories Milwaukee unquestionably leads these days are categories it has no proper competition in. My TrueView lights light up  work areas pretty damn good though, and I enjoy the disruptive innovation of my screwgun having Makita auto-drive, and my rotozip having a belt clip.

You are taking my comment wayyy more serious than the tone in which is was made.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bremon said:

Intonation and keyboards don't always see eye to eye. No ill will to the 5 year warranty club :lol:.

This forum is a pretty tight knit crew, sometimes I forget that there are people that haven't spoken to me enough to know that I'm always joking around. I probably should have put the tongue smilie there but I just assumed people would take it as a stupid little jab at Dewalt.

We're good here, hope I didn't get too deep under your skin.

• Like 2

Man......who thunk Dewalt was a blue pill ?????

Lol..maybe a little tmi...but yeah it would be cool. I signed up for the insights but have only got one poll that I didn't meet requirements for. Hoping it picks up soon...I like being in the loop.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, overanalyze said:

The 15g nailer and a 23g pinner are on my list. A trim router would be gravy on top.

28 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

A pinned to?!?!?!?!? Oh my gosh!!!! I'm seriously having an incident!!!!

15 gauge is shortly after the 18 gauge. Pinner hasn't been discussed or revealed. Just those two, the 18g stapler and the flooring nailer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bremon said:

15 gauge is shortly after the 18 gauge. Pinner hasn't been discussed or revealed. Just those two, the 18g stapler and the flooring nailer. 

Can't wait for that bradder. My framing and finish nailers are the best. Period.

• Like 3

On 2/12/2017 at 0:33 AM, DR99 said:

Dewalt made 2 big errors they were the last to convert to slide packs, and didn't offer an adapter till years later. That pissed a lot of people off, and gave people an out to try a different brand. Also you had post TTI Milwaukee releasing all sorts of new tools and offering promotions all the time with them. Milwaukee is still aggressive with promotions but they are not as good and prices have went up.

There's lot of truth in this statement. Dewalt fucked around too long with the 20V conversion and Milwaukee had their timing right to capitalize. It's the exact reason I ended up going with Milwaukee.

We had a Dewalt employee in here a few years ago that used to get all riled up when I'd say that, but it's the truth. 

Dewalt also got held up with the lawsuit over the nano base platform that further delayed their ability to get away from the previous Ni-Cad platform. I get it, they had way more market share to lose than anybody else and they treaded very carefully with the conversion, but in hindsight, they should have seen the writing on the wall. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing what hindsight will have to say about the flexvolt, say 3 years from now after all the marketing hoopla has faded and the brass tacks probably analyzed.

Yep Milwaukee was adding to the M18 line and Dewalt just launched the 20v line with just the basics. It took a good 3/4 years before the 20v Max line got decently filled out. The finish nailer and cordless caulk guns were tools Dewalt took their sweet time releasing.

Milwaukee pissed a few people of with the discontinuation with the V18 platform but the numbers were too little to really care about. Dewalt had the cordless market locked down hard back in the 18v xrp days. If you wanted cordless tools that were good you went for Dewalt most of the time.

Makita got weird for a little bit not really releasing anything compelling for a few years, and Bosch lets be honest they are so slow moss could grow at their development offices.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

There's lot of truth in this statement. Dewalt fucked around too long with the 20V conversion and Milwaukee had their timing right to capitalize. It's the exact reason I ended up going with Milwaukee.

We had a Dewalt employee in here a few years ago that used to get all riled up when I'd say that, but it's the truth. 

Dewalt also got held up with the lawsuit over the nano base platform that further delayed their ability to get away from the previous Ni-Cad platform. I get it, they had way more market share to lose than anybody else and they treaded very carefully with the conversion, but in hindsight, they should have seen the writing on the wall. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing what hindsight will have to say about the flexvolt, say 3 years from now after all the marketing hoopla has faded and the brass tacks probably analyzed.

I'm hoping they really expand the use of the power station. There aren't too many mobile tools that could benefit from cordless but Dewalt hit the nail on the head with the ones they introduced. I don't believe this is a death tolling for the 20v line at all but Dewalt has really made a lot of headway in reliability and introducing tools that were clearly researched prior to their introduction. Sure they have been slow to start the ball rolling but there marketing is pretty solid and field use as well as homeowner use is singing praises. Top of the pro landscaping tools and they are kicking it in to high speed. Finally. Though I'm STILL waiting for my bradder.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2017 at 1:57 AM, Cheng Liu said:

I believe that title belongs to Ryobi who has yet to convert to slide packs (for their 18v tools at least).

Which is one of the biggest selling points for Ryobi, you don't have to worry about switching battery platforms, and you can use the oldest tools with the newest batteries. Just think of the joy you would have if the big brands did the same thing. You'd never hear...

"I have to sell my old tools so I can buy the new ones, because the batteries don't fit.".

And you'd also never hear..."Gee, I wish someone would make a battery adapter...". I think adapters are kinda silly, with everyone trying to make tools more compact, you now want to go and add more to it instead of less.

18 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Sure I get that, but that applies to only that umbrella. Look at Stanley Black and Decker for instance and Porter Cable, and the relationship to Dewalt. Oh wait, there isn't one... it's complete and total shit now. Only thing missing from this mismatch is if they bought out Craftsman and put that into the mix...oh wait, that actually happened. Dewalt is the only competitive brand in the cordless market for their umbrella. Everything else is something I'd hand my kid to go beat with sticks and rocks in the woods for fun. 

Craftsman is kinda on the side of things with power tools...considering TTI makes them it's probably not a brand that's gonna come screaming out for pros. From what I've seen and heard TTI has been making Craftsman power tools lately, how true that is I don't know but their tools are crazily similar to Ryobi. The good thing is that the batteries from Ryobi and Craftsman will fit each other simply by removing a little plastic tab.