Cabinet updates & clamp rack

rrmccabe

Just finished cutting the last of the fingers. This set is for the smaller Irwin Quick Grips. Did a dry assembly and need to route a 1/4 round on top edge and can give it a final sand and apply polyurethane.  Then will move on to wall tool cabinet.

20170219_073807.jpg

Believe or not, I work "in" the shop.  We have an acreage and always building or fabricating something to keep the place up. Not to mention I have an 800 HP hotrod that gets a lot of wrench turning.

But I understand what you are getting at, and honestly there have been month long stretches where I am doing nothing but working "on" the shop.

If not, mama would be complaining :)

I know, I was just picking on you. I actually had a small project yesterday fixing a cabinet door that wouldn't close...due to the fact that when I "fixed" it the first time I cut the hinges in a little crooked. Didn't realize at the time, and it's been months annoying the heck out of me. Finally went and bought some cabinet magnets, which didn't work. That's what led me to taking the door off and finding that I cut the recess into the wood at an angle, so the hinges weren't sitting flush. Took a little creative thought on which tool would work to cut some wood out but I got it fixed.

3 hours ago, Kato said:

I know, I was just picking on you. I actually had a small project yesterday fixing a cabinet door that wouldn't close...due to the fact that when I "fixed" it the first time I cut the hinges in a little crooked. Didn't realize at the time, and it's been months annoying the heck out of me. Finally went and bought some cabinet magnets, which didn't work. That's what led me to taking the door off and finding that I cut the recess into the wood at an angle, so the hinges weren't sitting flush. Took a little creative thought on which tool would work to cut some wood out but I got it fixed.

Oh it was a fair comment. As far as bang for buck scale I am off the chart for too much money/not enough use !

Now for my least favorite part.

20170219_155822.jpg

20170219_155808.jpg

I like how you used the vertical space to store the clamps pointing up instead of the traditional, downward pointing clamp racks. However, I'm pretty sure that I couldn't do the same because A. I'm probably not tall enough to reach over the top of the shelf and around / behind the clamps to undo the screws and B. sooner rather than later, I'd bonk myself on the head with one of those clamps putting it away or taking it down.

I have had my clamps in this spot for a while but have been just clamping them to a shelf.

The improvement this go around is that I do not have to unscrew them. They are not clamped to anything.  The blocks with fingers are placed at a height that captures the fixed head of clamp. So they  just slide in and cant tip because of the tight tolerance.  You will notice every type of clamps has a different finger block height.  The only exception to this is a couple odd clamps on far right which I do have clamped

I do not have any opinion on strength but this birch plywood has hardly any voids.  The laminates are straight.  They also have the stuff with MDF but this is not it.

I have been going to HD for plywood recently instead of Menards because the veneer is much thicker.  And more progress...
20170218_121238.thumb.jpg.0eb9a2c36db33fc63290cd7541b216ff.jpg

True, but I still prefer menards lumber, they have a better selection and more variety of species

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

True, but I still prefer menards lumber, they have a better selection and more variety of species

I buy everything at Menards but no longer buy nice Plywood there. Mostly because the veneer is too thin compared to the Home Depot stuff. They just started carrying cherry, walnut and maple hardboard too.

The Birch plywood from HD can be sanded  and is beautiful.  The Menards stuff sand through too easy.

I would much rather buy at Menards but make a special strip for this stuff.

40 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

I buy everything at Menards but no longer buy nice Plywood there. Mostly because the veneer is too thin compared to the Home Depot stuff. They just started carrying cherry, walnut and maple hardboard too.

The Birch plywood from HD can be sanded  and is beautiful.  The Menards stuff sand through too easy.

You found out the same thing that I found out years ago.  I made a toy chest with oak plywood from menards and I sanded through it really quickly.  

2 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

Hey @rrmccabe see if your local Home Depot carries SandiPly plywood.  I love using this stuff to build items for the shop.  there are no voids in the material, its lighter and looks great.  

John, I remember you using that at one time. It was right next to the birch I bought and was $10 a sheet cheaper.

I was just not sure if it would hold up  to humidity changes (garage shop) and also how durable to dings it would be compared to what I am using.

I built some tops out of a mix of MDF and Plywood when I first got started out there and because of humidity and MDF and plywood expanding at different rates it ended up cupping and became firewood a year later. I am sure the sande Plywood would be better as it is alternating types but was concerned.  On the far side of my garage I actually wash cars so the humidity can be high!

1 hour ago, rrmccabe said:

John, I remember you using that at one time. It was right next to the birch I bought and was $10 a sheet cheaper.

I was just not sure if it would hold up  to humidity changes (garage shop) and also how durable to dings it would be compared to what I am using.

I built some tops out of a mix of MDF and Plywood when I first got started out there and because of humidity and MDF and plywood expanding at different rates it ended up cupping and became firewood a year later. I am sure the sande Plywood would be better as it is alternating types but was concerned.  On the far side of my garage I actually wash cars so the humidity can be high!

I'm not sure how it would hold up to humidity.  It does dent pretty easily, but for my shop accessories, I'm fine with it.  Especially since I use pine for my trim which will dent a little easier than the sandiply.

What I am buying seems pretty durable but should try some sande ply for other things. Looks like it should edge sand really nice.

On another note my order of "Jorgensen" F clamps showed up at Ace Hardware today. Went to pick them up and they were chinese Bessey clamps. Really poor quality. So I made them send them back.

Grizzly is closing Jorgensens out so ordered five 24" clamps and six 6" clamps to fill up my rack.  Similar price but cost me $18 freight.

On 2/22/2017 at 8:19 AM, tugnut1 said:

You found out the same thing that I found out years ago.  I made a toy chest with oak plywood from menards and I sanded through it really quickly.  

Something to consider when building things with plywood is that most plywood is made with a formaldehyde based glue.  For a garage shelf, it doesn't matter. However for something that kids are going to be playing with / around, you'll probably want to avoid the stuff.  I even asked at my local high end lumber yard and they couldn't guarantee that any of their plywood didn't have formaldehyde. 

The sanded oak and maple plywood at HD is specifically made without formaldehyde and is labeled as such. So, even though I can get nicer plywood (more layers) from my lumber yard, stuff I build for little people only uses the plywood from HD. 

• Like 2

Ran out to the Woodsmith store and picked up some maple dowel rods, screws, little project wood axles that might make good tool hangers and some finish.

So this weekend I can start the task of making tool mounts so I can hang chisels, saws, marking gauges, rulers, squares, etc. I am sure that will take longer than building the cabinet.

20170224_072335.jpg

20170224_104945.jpg

• Like 3