Dust Collector upgrade Progress.....

comp56

dust control upgrade, getting there removed hose from blower to barrel to be direct. ordering a canister and when that gets here then I will raise the main collector to same height as blower to shorten or remove that hose as well. Where the collector is I have a height issue as it is on a raised platform so ceiling height is reduced it is not a big deal other than the collector bag is at it's limit but a canister replacement is almost 12" shorter To empty barrel collar directly under blower is loosened off and slips down giving room to move barrel out. I'll will update soon

11_4.jpg

• Like 5

I will say I had the typical 6.5hp shop vac with a dust deputy and was running it to my table saw hose was 2.5" increased to the 4" port on table saw.......while I was changing everything over I looked in the bottom of table saw and there was obviously some saw dust built up in the far corners. When I ran this new set up it cleaned it all up. then again I went from 2.5" hose @185 CFM to 5" hose reduced to 4" hose @1200+CFM with the separator I filled 2 5 gallon pails of saw dust to test and the new dust collector catch bag (the clear see thru bag) had next to nothing in it so in saying that I would guess 98%+ was caught in the separator like it was suppose to. This is good news as I have a window right next to the collector and in the summer months I will pipe it directly outside by passing the filter completely the window is right against a rock garden with some shrubs and stuff so having a pipe go into the little garden no one will even see it. I would do this all year but I don't want to have make up warm air but summer I won't mind to have it cooler the shop will be really clean if everything is gone outside......

• Like 1

12 hours ago, comp56 said:

@rrmccabe I guess you could call it that 

do you mean this

Capture_8.png

or above that? if so it is the blower from dust collector connected directly

Yes that. Was not sure what it was. I am guessing that is some store of Thein design. Pulls the bulk of your chips out before it gets to the actual dust collector.

41 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Yes that. Was not sure what it was. I am guessing that is some store of Thein design. Pulls the bulk of your chips out before it gets to the actual dust collector.

yes that is exactly what it is designed to do and it does it very well in fact probably about 99% as good as a $250 cyclone separator for a fraction of the price. I plan on making my own metal cyclone but need to wait until weather gets better as I can only weld outside for obvious reasons in a basement shop

16 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Looks good. I wish I had room for one of those.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Time for a lean to of sorts ha

Looking good and I really want to setup a cyclone separator too, and I think I'll build an enclosure outside and pipe it through the shop wall, keep the noise outside while gaining some extra room! Maybe.

• Like 1

Yea it would be great to get the noise and unit outside but I would have an issue with pumping all my heat outside. Not sure how significant it is but have to think you would have to add fresh are and the heat lost where I live would be significant.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Yea it would be great to get the noise and unit outside but I would have an issue with pumping all my heat outside. Not sure how significant it is but have to think you would have to add fresh are and the heat lost where I live would be significant.

Well that's one advantage of not heating the shop in the winter lol.... aw now I made myself sad....Maybe one day though....

Or maybe I'll seal the enclosure with proper insulation, open the wall up a little, and add a duct board air return duct with opening at opposite ends to keep the sound down..

Sorry comp didn't mean to hijack this, I like the cost savings method you're going to for this and know I really want to do so as well..

14 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

I probably could dust it outside and bypass canister filter but it would take warm air out of the basement for sure not sure it would be enough to worry after all I am in a fully insulated basement however the thermostat is on the next level up so it may be warm up there but not in basement. I will try it in the spring or when the furnace stops kicking on. I'm not worried about the sound it isn't that bad far less noisy compared to a shop vac.....more of a humming rumble compared to a screaming box. you can actually talk over it quite easily whereas the shop vac it's like shut that %$^#in thing off I can't hear you....lol

In the process of upgrading my shop to a 2hp dust collector I also added a magnetic floor collector, I can now sweep everything into the collecting opening. Now this is not new by no means but what I did was I added a metal strip along the floor opening and attached strong magnets I re purposed from old computer hard drives. Now if any screws are within the saw dust/dirt swept up they will be caught by the strip. here is a short video of it in action, I purposely put 4 screws in the pile for the test. It worked great kinda hard to hold camera and sweep at the same time but you get the idea.....  so now I can sweep up and save money on screws and they probably have a 90% chance of not getting sucked up into the dust collector and easily recovered

• Like 3

ya they seem to be powerful enough, however the nice thing about having a separator before the collector also helps as in if they do get sucked up they are heavy enough to drop before they go through the impeller of the blower so this is just an added step plus far easier to recover by just pulling them off the strip.

so continuing on with dust collection here is my plan to make a sliding 3 port sliding manifold, 3 hose lines will be attached on the bottom side and the main inlet port will slide to anyone of the 3 ports without removing any hoses. As you see I made the track to receive a plate wider than the top to keep it locked in place with some careful calculations the lexan will slide with a nice tight fit for a better seal. It only has 3 places as the hose will cover one hole at any given time I will never have to close off all 3 holes.... next to rout out the 3 holes then make the matching top plate. 

20170227_183922 - Copy.jpg

20170227_185031 - Copy.jpg

• Like 2

all hooked up, not pretty but cheap and effective. If I do all this again I will buy better hose this stuff is stiff as board hard to move around, then again probably more durable......

20170228_134929.jpg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Think you will need to pin that moveable hose in place or suction will hold it?

actually no that is why I made sure it fit tight, slight resistance when moving but stays in place due to the fit plus I wanted it that way I also glued a O-ring jobby on the backside which made it tighter yet so ya works good