Raised panel MDF Door

SetBuilder

40 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Very cool. Heavy?

I bet you made some dust making that.

Pretty heavy, it's basically 2 sheets of 3/4 MDF 6'10 1/2 x 3'5 1/2 plus the 1/4 in sheet.

Huge pile of dust when routing the panels.

The cabinet I used has a nice vacuum but it didn't do much.

IMG_5311.JPG

IMG_5312.JPG

door looks good, when cutting MDF any time I can I use the band saw, it pulls most of the dust down instead of all over like a circular saw or table saw, far more duct control. 

9 minutes ago, Jronman said:

At around $30 for a 4x8 sheet of mdf it would be fairly cost effective I would think. 

I'm not sure of the cost of MDF but no way do we pay $30 a sheet. I buy 3/4 Birch Plywood from my shop for 24.00 a sheet, 3/4 CDX is about 15.00 a sheet.  We buy in such bulk I doubt its more than 15.00 for a 4x8 x 3/4 sheet of MDF.

23 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

I'm not sure of the cost of MDF but no way do we pay $30 a sheet. I buy 3/4 Birch Plywood from my shop for 24.00 a sheet, 3/4 CDX is about 15.00 a sheet.  We buy in such bulk I doubt its more than 15.00 for a 4x8 x 3/4 sheet of MDF.

hmm I was pretty sure what I paid for mdf at school was around $30. Maybe my school had higher grade mdf?

Just now, SetBuilder said:

30.00 a sheet is the standard price at HD or Lowes my shop buys it by the truck load.

I would guess my school gets some kind of discount as well. Maybe they don't get much discount on mdf. They use more top quality 3/4 oak ply than mdf.