7 1/4in cordless miter 2.0?

Hugh Jass

My coworker is getting sick of not having my cordless miter when we work on separate jobs and is ready to bite the bullet and upgrade. I thought I'd hit up the rumor mill before he buys it just in case a brushless or updated version is in the works for this year? I don't think they'd probably do it for 20v but if they're going to retrofit this for 60v with updated internals I know he'd be kicking himself if he pulled the trigger now.

Anyone? 

• Like 2

20v Max XR 7.25". There are rumblings of a 10" FlexVolt for North America but that's just rumours, nothing more substantiated like the XR 7.25". I would expect the 7.25" this year. The 10" is just a pipe dream at the moment I think. 

Is a brushless version really needed? Could put that r and d to something more useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 15 minutes of R&D it takes to swap the brushed motor for a brushless? Same as their compact recip lol. Maybe it will be more assembled in USA stuff like their brushless compact recip too. 

True...

Is that compact recip any smoother?

Nope, not at all from what I've read, hence the 15 mins of R&D haha. Should have spent 30 mins [emoji23]

That thing could be a great saw if they gave it a little love, the form factor always intrigued me as well as the 4 way blade position but not enough to over come the horror stories

1 hour ago, JimboS1ice said:

Is a brushless version really needed? Could put that r and d to something more useful

There's not a lot they could do to improve the saw IMO. The light is the biggest flaw of the saw, which is practically useless in practice in comparison to the 780. Other than that, I find the detent spring is far too tight, again in comparision to the 780. You need a whole lot of effort to keep the plate from going clack clack clack as it hits the ridges of the detents swinging from side to side. 

That said, more power/rpm and brushless are the only logical upgrades aside from that without coming up with a creative way to change the orientation of the motor vertically to allow dual bevel, but since this hasn't happened I figure the loss of torque or rpm or both for the gearing needed is insurmountable. 

• Like 1

It could do with a power upgrade for sure, well at least the EU version. Its the first time ive been unimpressed with a dewalt tool. I am using there own brand of blade but have no other choice, we cant get diablo blades. Thinking of changing to the flexvolt 216mm saw. 

I am also going to buy the 7 1/4" soon.  Personally I will have a hard time adjusting to the smaller blade.  From my experience with DeWalt, I'm not going to wait on anything.  Something may be in the works, but it will take so long to come to market.  

I've mentioned the 7 1/4" saw and got some, "That's great, but what about the flexvolt?"  That's from my guys.  

For them, that may be fine, but for me, I'm sticking with the 7 1/4".  The weight is the thing for me.  As you get older those things are important.  That 7 1/4" is so light.  It feels half the size of my old Makita corded. (25 years old)

We have a 12" slider, but the size stops me from getting it out, unless it's necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up with saw and was just thinking that if this was brushless it would be even better, but with that said this saw does everything I am expecting and I am actually loving it, now I am using it for mainly for rough stuff but will be using this for all the finished work on my second floor as I don't want to lug my 780 up the stairs.

This saw fills a niche for portability which the 780 lacks, I don't see this replacing my 780, but will be used where the inconvenience of a cord and portability is welcomed.

• Like 1