Hello Everyone!

Butternut82

Good afternoon.  I thought I would introduce myself. I am new to the forum, but not new to tools.  I am an operator at a nuclear power plant by trade.  Handyman, repairman, mechanic, and master DIY'er at home.  I prefer to wrench on cars and motorcycles, but have been doing a bit of home renovations myself the last few years.  If it has to be done right, I do it myself.  I do all the maintenance on my truck, and wife's van.  I have replaced all the copper plumbing pipe in a house built in the 70's.  Ripped down old wood paneling, re-insulated, and drywalled and painted an entire room.  

My most recent project was crawlspace remodeling. ha ha.  my 20 year Air conditioner bit the dust last summer, so It was time to upgrade.  I just finished helping a friend install a new package unit heat pump with emergency heat strips.  But, since I was taking out the old main trunk and ductwork from my crawlspace, there was a lot more work to do.  I had to remove the old gas furnace/blower unit, evaporator coil, and dehumidifier from the crawlspace.  I sealed all the plumbing and electrical penetrations from under the house.  I had a few plumbing repairs to make.  Had to install a new dryer vent line.  I had to make overflow lines for the hot water heater drain pan and safety relief valve(previously they just dumped under the house.  I hauled 2000 lbs of debris out from under the house.  I had to properly secure the plumbing and electrical lines to the joists.  I put down a new vapor barrier, then paid some guys to insulate the floor.  Then I helped a buddy from work install a new Heat pump.  It was a fun job.  needless to say, I am tired of crawlspaces, and crawling around on my hands and knees. 

I did purchase some duluth trading cargo pants with kneepad pockets.  Best investment I made for this project.  I found I like the neoprene pads better than the foam ones. 

Oh, I should add that I have become a bosch fanboy.  I have become fully vested in their 18V cordless lineup.  Drill/driver, circular saw, jigsaw, reciprocating saw, impact driver, oscillating tool, Hammer drill/driver. I love their stuff, but Bosch NA is slow to bring everything the rest of the world gets, over here. And it seems they are slower than other cordless power tool companies with innovations in new tools.

Garage (car) wise, I have some tekton wrenches, crafstman socket set, and some random harbor freight stuff.  I don't have the cash to invest in a big air compressor and impacts yet. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 3/13/2017 at 1:07 PM, Butternut82 said:

My most recent project was crawlspace remodeling. ha ha.  my 20 year Air conditioner bit the dust last summer, so It was time to upgrade.  I just finished helping a friend install a new package unit heat pump with emergency heat strips.  But, since I was taking out the old main trunk and ductwork from my crawlspace, there was a lot more work to do.  I had to remove the old gas furnace/blower unit, evaporator coil, and dehumidifier from the crawlspace.  I sealed all the plumbing and electrical penetrations from under the house.  I had a few plumbing repairs to make.  Had to install a new dryer vent line.  I had to make overflow lines for the hot water heater drain pan and safety relief valve(previously they just dumped under the house.  I hauled 2000 lbs of debris out from under the house.  I had to properly secure the plumbing and electrical lines to the joists.  I put down a new vapor barrier, then paid some guys to insulate the floor.  Then I helped a buddy from work install a new Heat pump.  It was a fun job.  needless to say, I am tired of crawlspaces, and crawling around on my hands and knees. 

I did purchase some duluth trading cargo pants with kneepad pockets.  Best investment I made for this project.  I found I like the neoprene pads better than the foam ones. 

Oh, I should add that I have become a bosch fanboy.  I have become fully vested in their 18V cordless lineup.  Drill/driver, circular saw, jigsaw, reciprocating saw, impact driver, oscillating tool, Hammer drill/driver. I love their stuff, but Bosch NA is slow to bring everything the rest of the world gets, over here. And it seems they are slower than other cordless power tool companies with innovations in new tools.

Garage (car) wise, I have some tekton wrenches, crafstman socket set, and some random harbor freight stuff.  I don't have the cash to invest in a big air compressor and impacts yet. 

Whaoh cool, i'm just catching up on your project here, and my hat off to you! Hardly any home owner i've met cares to take care of things under their house, all they see is the stuff going on above the floor. Very important what you did and it sounds like you've got the right resources with your buddy. 

We have laundry service at work for our supplied pants and shirts, but i just wish we had some pants with kneepad pockets for this very purpose, would be super nice.

Keep it up, sounds like a crazy cool profession!

• 3 weeks later...