Harbor Freight Class Action Settlement - Get cash back or gift cards for purchases made from 4/8/11-12/15/16!!

BMack37

Below text is borrowed from here: link

Harbor Freight just settled a class action suit due to falsely advertising the "regular price" of items, and therefore falsely claiming the amount that you save when an item is "on sale". The options to claim damages are as follows:

OPTION A: Customers who have itemized Harbor Freight receipts reflecting one or more purchases between April 8, 2011 and December 15, 2016 with a “you saved” amount reflected on their receipts can submit copies of those receipts and elect to receive either 20% in cash, or 30% in a Harbor Freight gift card, of the total “you saved” amount listed on their receipts, excluding any amounts reflecting free items or items that were later returned. (EXAMPLE: If you have receipts showing total "savings" on multiple items totaling $480, you have the option of getting 20% cash back ($96) or 30% ($144) on a Harbor Freight gift card)

OPTION B: Customers who have credit or debit card statements reflecting one or more purchases at Harbor Freight between April 8, 2011 and December 15, 2016 can submit copies of those statements and elect to receive either 10% in cash, or 12% in a Harbor Freight gift card, of the total Harbor Freight purchases on their credit or debit card statement(s), excluding any amounts reflecting items that were later returned. (EXAMPLE: If you have credit card statements showing $2,400 in purchases at Harbor Freight, you have the option of getting 10% ($240) cash back or 12% ($288) on a Harbor Fright gift card).

OPTION C: All other customers who made purchases at Harbor Freight between April 8, 2011 and December 15, 2016 may submit one declaration, signed under penalty of perjury, stating that they purchased an item from Harbor Freight (other than a free or later-returned item) that was advertised with a higher reference price (e.g., “reg. $XXX,” “only $XXX,” or “comp. at $XXX”) adjacent to a lower current offering price, and that they do not have itemized Harbor Freight receipts or credit or debit card statements of their Harbor Freight purchases. Customers submitting this declaration will receive one $10 Harbor Freight gift card. This one is pretty self explanatory.

Full details of the case and settlement are here: http://www.nationalsalepricesettlement.com/

• Like 3

Wow, I am somewhat taken aback that someone actually sued them over this. I always just took it for granted that they were inflating numbers as standard marketing practice and only ever looked at the final price of one of their product offerings when buying from them. I think it would be too much trouble to go through all of my credit card statements just to find a few items to get a minimal discount, when it is easier just to use one of their current percent off coupons.

Thanks for posting though...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JMG said:

Wow, I am somewhat taken aback that someone actually sued them over this. I always just took it for granted that they were inflating numbers as standard marketing practice and only ever looked at the final price of one of their product offerings when buying from them. I think it would be too much trouble to go through all of my credit card statements just to find a few items to get a minimal discount, when it is easier just to use one of their current percent off coupons.

Thanks for posting though...

Amazon is really guilty of this in their Email promotions. They use some crazy msrp number or just bs number they came up with so they have and item that is 50% off but suspiciously the same price everyone else is selling the item for. I have seen so many Amazon emails like that for tools!!

• Like 3

I can't think of many retailers that don't practice this. It's pretty annoying for me because I'm always looking for a deal, still a BS lawsuit IMO. I think some retailers get away with it because companies will put their suggested MSRP high in their catalog, then as long as there is no MAP contract, the retailer can charge whatever they want.

1 hour ago, BMack37 said:

I can't think of many retailers that don't practice this. It's pretty annoying for me because I'm always looking for a deal, still a BS lawsuit IMO. I think some retailers get away with it because companies will put their suggested MSRP high in their catalog, then as long as there is no MAP contract, the retailer can charge whatever they want.

I see it a lot with DeWALT. ie. The original price is $1400 for the flexvolt 790 AT2 kit but retail price is $800 and that is during preorders. By Christmas time its already been apart of multiple sales and deals. Same goes with just about any other DeWALT tool. Flexvolt was where i really noticed this. Seemed like everything was a couple hundred off original price from the day it was available to preorder. I don't know how much other tool companies do this because I tend to gravitate towards DeWALT stuff for the time being because that is the one battery platform I am invested in currently.

Amazon is really guilty of this in their Email promotions. They use some crazy msrp number or just bs number they came up with so they have and item that is 50% off but suspiciously the same price everyone else is selling the item for. I have seen so many Amazon emails like that for tools!!

Toolbarn is good for that so is amazon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mattyuk
    Newest Member
    mattyuk