SSE 18 LTX compact 18v reciprocating saw

D W

While looking at a promo image for the 18v range I noticed a one hand compact reciprocating saw. It looks identical to their 10.8v but with an 18v battery. 

This is one tool I was considering buying into Bosch or Milwaukee just to have, so I'm happy to see it with Metabo! 

The image also shows an 18v x 2 rotary hammer. See below, just to the right of the centre. 

metabo_akkukreis-18V_969x969px.jpg

4 hours ago, ChrisK said:

I just watched the video. Man, that music makes me want to put my old leotard and cape on and fight some crime :rolleyes:

You made me actually watch that video and I'm glad I did because did he just put a t-shank jigsaw blade in that!?

On 3/19/2017 at 7:22 AM, ChrisK said:

I wish they'd get off their green German butts and make this stuff more readily available here.

agreed. I havent bought any metabo stuff since getting the grinder. very irritating they dont offer jack here in the states. 

Metabo is to the grinder what Makita is to the impact by the looks of that pic. lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Metabo rep from the WOC videos told me last year that they were coming out with a new 18v full-size recip this summer. I think he was full of it, this compact seems to be the only one. Now he won't return calls or emails, lol.

Although this one looks like a nice tool, that tiny 1/2" stroke means metal use only, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2

I'm really considering getting this saw for pruning trees and the odd metal/wood cuts. 1.7kg with a battery is very good. In those rare cases I need a jigsaw, this might work well for that too. 

A close alternative is the compact 18v Makita XRJ01/DJR1185. I'm a bit turned off by the design of that saw but it's $40 less.  

Although heavier, bigger and more expensive, I'd consider the new compact Dewalt if I didn't continually hear about the vibration. I really like the design of that saw (and brushless!). 

Ok, I decided on the Metabo and it has arrived. 

It feels great in the hand and is lightweight. With a 2.0ah battery the weight balance is towards the blade. With a 6.2ah LiHD battery the weight is centred at the trigger and feels very well balanced. This is great! I was worried the weight would sit towards the battery/tail with the bigger ones. 

I've been a bit of a critic of Metabo quality and this purchase was perhaps going to be the final straw. It's made in China but the quality is definitely above some of the other Chinese made Metabo I've had. 

It feels well made and solid. Small details like rough plastic edges and uneven rubber overmold are not really a problem with this one (but still not quite up to other brands with the rubber, very frustrating!). The battery fits tight and the motor feels smooth. Blades fit well and are easily changed. 

The LED light is above the blade and is not very bright. I'm not sure how useful it will be until I use it in a dark area.

The adjustable shoe will definitely come in handy (one deciding factor for choosing this saw). 

It's hard to comment on the vibration level (I've never tried another one-hand saw) but it feels ok. The specs from Metabo rate vibration in wood at 10m/s2. To compare:

-new compact brushless 18v Dewalt = 23m/s2 (!!!)

-M18 Fuel sawzall = 16.7m/s2

-full sized 18v Metabo = 16m/s2

-one handed compact 18v Bosch = 13m/s2

-new brushless full sized 18v Bosch = 11.6m/s2

-M18 hackzall = 7.2m/s2

-compact 18v Makita = 7m/s2

It cuts fast enough for pruning even with the short stroke length. It would be great to have the same length as the compact Bosch, but the Bosch is heavier which kind of defeats the purpose of a one hand saw.  

It definitely runs harder and faster with LiHD on board. 

IMG_20170811_110006.jpg

• Like 2

Ok, I decided on the Metabo and it has arrived. 

It feels great in the hand and is lightweight. With a 2.0ah battery the weight balance is towards the blade. With a 6.2ah LiHD battery the weight is centred at the trigger and feels very well balanced. This is great! I was worried the weight would sit towards the battery/tail with the bigger ones. 

I've been a bit of a critic of Metabo quality and this purchase was perhaps going to be the final straw. It's made in China but the quality is definitely above some of the other Chinese made Metabo I've had. 

It feels well made and solid. Small details like rough plastic edges and uneven rubber overmold are not really a problem with this one (but still not quite up to other brands with the rubber, very frustrating!). The battery fits tight and the motor feels smooth. Blades fit well and are easily changed. 

The LED light is above the blade and is not very bright. I'm not sure how useful it will be until I use it in a dark area.

The adjustable shoe will definitely come in handy (one deciding factor for choosing this saw). 

It's hard to comment on the vibration level (I've never tried another one-hand saw) but it feels ok. The specs from Metabo rate vibration in wood at 10m/s2. To compare:

-new compact brushless 18v Dewalt = 23m/s2 (!!!)
-M18 Fuel sawzall = 16.7m/s2
-full sized 18v Metabo = 16m/s2
-one handed compact 18v Bosch = 13m/s2
-new brushless full sized 18v Bosch = 11.6m/s2
-M18 hackzall = 7.2m/s2
-compact 18v Makita = 7m/s2

It cuts fast enough for pruning even with the short stroke length. It would be great to have the same length as the compact Bosch, but the Bosch is heavier which kind of defeats the purpose of a one hand saw.  

It definitely runs harder and faster with LiHD on board. 

IMG_20170811_110006.thumb.jpg.965d58b371acb36e6a61fcca16400195.jpg

Adjustable shoe is awesome on a one handed saw!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...