Chicken coop

SetBuilder

16 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

I started building a chicken coop for one of the designers at work. Its going to be painted so we are just using doug fir. I hope the chickens appreciate some of the joinery I was playing with. :)

IMG_5443.JPG

IMG_5444.JPG

IMG_5439.JPG

IMG_5440.JPG

IMG_5441.JPG

This is an awesome chicken coop. I especially like the corner joinery. I've been kicking around in my head building a bunk bed and was trying to figure out a good way to join the bedframes to the posts without using lag screws or going mortise & tenon and these joins look interesting. 

19 minutes ago, khariV said:

This is an awesome chicken coop. I especially like the corner joinery. I've been kicking around in my head building a bunk bed and was trying to figure out a good way to join the bedframes to the posts without using lag screws or going mortise & tenon and these joins look interesting. 

I just figured out the joinery as I went. I will still glue it and use screws. But I'll use a counter sink and cut plugs to fill the holes. 

I'm sure there are hidden hardware kits out there if you spend a little time researching it. The joinery stuff if fun if you have the time though

10 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

I just figured out the joinery as I went. I will still glue it and use screws. But I'll use a counter sink and cut plugs to fill the holes. 

I'm sure there are hidden hardware kits out there if you spend a little time researching it. The joinery stuff if fun if you have the time though

I don't mind screwing the frames to the posts with big lag screws. I just don't want ALL of the weight on the hardware as I have a feeling they'll work their way loose over time.  I like the idea of hiding the screws behind plugs - perhaps I'll hide some timberlock lags.  Now, all I have to do is figure out if I want to invest in a planer to make it out of hard wood or just cut up 2x12s and make it out of SYP.

2 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Nice job bro. Probably will be making one myself in the spring. Oh....love cleaning the coop. Sooooo much fun.

I'll have the metal shop make a pull out aluminum tray and I might make the bunk floors out of acrylic for easy cleaning. It's nice to have a lot of different materials on hand.

13 minutes ago, khariV said:

Lmao!  Did you just have extra teak lying about?

Yes, I made it from scraps left over from a job. I also found the aluminum channel in the scrap section of the metal shop.  Its amazing the materials we have laying around. 

Even the Empty labels for our oxygen and acetylene tanks are first class :)

IMG_5254.JPG

• Like 3

On 4/15/2017 at 3:57 AM, BMack37 said:

I've done service calls in houses worse than that.

Ugghh yeah man we wear shoe covers to protect customers flooring most of the time, but once in awhile we wear them to keep our shoes clean lol!!

• Like 1