toughsystem mods

jamielmnop

decided to maximize the space the Hand truck took up. now it fits more stuff and uses the same space.

thinking I will need stronger wheels and reinforce the frame still, I deal with that when something breaks.

the radio and 4 drawers make it to heavy, I don't recommend so many drawers.   

3.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

That's pretty slick, gotta be a pretty heavy though

Jimbo

sent from tapatalk

Nah shouldn't be too bad, just needs a trailer hitch and he'll be good to go!!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

The more i look at this system, the more i think about integrating into my van, but then i hear they made some clips much cheaper and am worried about durability...

the brackets for the cart are the durable brackets. the "weaker" brackets come with the wall system. As far as I know the durable brackets can be purchased by themselves. I have no idea if the weaker brackets can be purchased by themselves. I would ask someone more knowledgeable than myself in tough system brackets to see if they know anything about which brackets are still being sold.

found this by @RickyMcGrath

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jronman said:

the brackets for the cart are the durable brackets. the "weaker" brackets come with the wall system. As far as I know the durable brackets can be purchased by themselves. I have no idea if the weaker brackets can be purchased by themselves. I would ask someone more knowledgeable than myself in tough system brackets to see if they know anything about which brackets are still being sold.

found this by @RickyMcGrath

Thanks yep, been reading up on that and other threads

9 hours ago, Jronman said:

@KnarlyCarl maybe there is a display somewhere of this rack or do you know someone who has the rack? Seeing one in person may be the deciding factor on whether you get one or not. You would get to see how sturdy the brackets are and whatnot.

True that would be nice but not around here, I've only ever seen a few of them at home Depot, which is about an hour away and I get to visit it very infrequently... Anyone else that might use them I wouldn't know

• 7 months later...

Great job, Jamielmnop, you have done exactly what I was looking into doing to my cart,  Add a section to the uprights, cut out the stair glides and add hinged brackets for 2 small cases.  How long did it take you, and could you tell me the brand and model hinges you used on the 2 back brackets.   My daughter does interior design for builders in phoenix area and I do a lot of install work in model homes,  when I bought the tough system and wheeled it in everyone gave me a lot of kidding.  But after they realized I had pretty much everything I need right with me no running to the trailer to find stuff (trailer is always trashed so you can't find what your looking for anyway).  Now they all come to me to get tools, and fasteners and other things instead of going to the trailer, trouble is I can't' keep the thing stocked with stuff I need now.  

The tough system is great though, I tried 4 other carts and containers before springing for this and my tools and bins were always falling off the cart or it tipped over or broke.  The tough system is quick and easy to load and unload, and sturdy.  I wish they would come up with a way the secure the cart and cases in a pickup bed.  

I thought about putting the cases in the cart and securing the cart with the truck tie downs, but I wouldn't trust the brackets on the cart to hold the cases in an accident.  I just had a better idea, buy some square steel tubing and case brackets make a mounting unit along the front of the box or along the sides of the truck, then loop a heavy cable through  the rack and over the cases lay the cart sideways in front of the cases loop the cable/cables through it and padlock everything to the tie downs.  Lowes has those heavy Schlage cables with the loop on each end in several different lengths.  Any body got any ideas or if you made something any pictures.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/27/2017 at 9:25 PM, jamielmnop said:

decided to maximize the space the Hand truck took up. now it fits more stuff and uses the same space.

thinking I will need stronger wheels and reinforce the frame still, I deal with that when something breaks.

the radio and 4 drawers make it to heavy, I don't recommend so many drawers.   

3.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

What’s the break down of parts? It looks like it would be bad ass to use when doing either commercial or industrial work