Sanding Disc Organization..

comp56

picked up about 80 feet (in 4 foot sections) of this heavy duty rail and peg system the pegs can hold almost 60LBS I cut them down to about 1 foot long for this they usually are around 22" long now I can have all my sanding/grinding discs in one place and easy to get to....

20170328_144920.jpg

• Like 6

Ha, I had this very same conversation with myself today trying to come up with some clever sandpaper storage solution. I bought 8 storage totes to organize shit, but I ended up dedicating a drawer to Sanding/Grinding instead.

I love the idea but I don't have the space. I've been looking for one of those floppy disc organizers, they're worth nothing because the technology has been antiquated for like 25 years. We have a couple at the shop but our plan is to use those for storing our rubber belts to condense the peg wall. 

One of these:

mSDEFf6WTKXvqLzX_q-SIIA.jpg

problem I have is I have as good memory as a rock, if I had everything in cupboards and drawers or containers or tool boxes I may as well give up now. I could be looking for days for a screwdriver I need as much as possible in view at a glance and even at that it can be challenging.....I just have to much shit for to much crap that ends up doing nothing cause it takes half the day looking for it. Then I get frustrated and go buy more I bet I have 17 caulking guns 16 of them are like new the other day in fact looking for 18g crown staples, I know I have some nope go buy more get there better buy 2 packs.....get home open them up ....oh wait put the second pack away safe somewhere I will know where they are.....and bingo the other bloody packs I have.......son of a 

• Like 1

I need to come up with a solution for wood sanding disc soon.  For steel I just used pegboard and hooks.  I like how you labeled your grits and I should the same. Currently I have to take every one off and look at the back to figure it out!

11.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, comp56 said:

problem I have is I have as good memory as a rock, if I had everything in cupboards and drawers or containers or tool boxes I may as well give up now. I could be looking for days for a screwdriver I need as much as possible in view at a glance and even at that it can be challenging.....I just have to much shit for to much crap that ends up doing nothing cause it takes half the day looking for it. Then I get frustrated and go buy more I bet I have 17 caulking guns 16 of them are like new the other day in fact looking for 18g crown staples, I know I have some nope go buy more get there better buy 2 packs.....get home open them up ....oh wait put the second pack away safe somewhere I will know where they are.....and bingo the other bloody packs I have.......son of a 

PS: This is my life too. And the reason that I have moved everything on the wall and visible if possible.

If its in a box, I print a label that says what is in the box. Constant reminder of what I have.

On 4/4/2017 at 7:09 PM, rrmccabe said:

PS: This is my life too. And the reason that I have moved everything on the wall and visible if possible.

If its in a box, I print a label that says what is in the box. Constant reminder of what I have.

I don't have any trouble remembering where I put shit, but I still like my labels. I have every drawer and bin labeled with the exception of my roll cab.

A label maker is an essential tool IMO. Here's what I was doing last week

IMG_7011.JPG.d6e662ba80e845f669d90671f3105666.JPG

• Like 1

Well my memory is worse than yours. I dont have a problem remembering where I put stuff.  I have a problem remembering that I have the tool in the first place !

I do a project and realize I had a gadget that specializes in something and forget to use it  If its out and in my face all the time.  I might think to use it more. Drawers and cabinets are my worst enemy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SetBuilder said:

I have the Festool sanding disc systainer. I personally hate things hanging on the wall. I prefer everything put away in drawers or cabinets. I find visual clutter distracting.

lol I was you 30 some years ago, knew where everything was could remember 6,7,8, even a dozen measurements just from glancing at a blue print. heck I didn't even need a measuring tape....but now if I stop on a set of stairs the only way I know what way I was going is which way I'm facing.....

2 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

I have the Festool sanding disc systainer. I personally hate things hanging on the wall. I prefer everything put away in drawers or cabinets. I find visual clutter distracting.

I understand the clutter comment. However, I go to great lengths to organize it so it does not look like clutter.  Not to mention when everything has a custom built hanger it has a place and easier to put away and keep shop clean.

I should think more about a Systainer for disc storage. Right now it would take several of them though as I have 5", 6" and triangle detail disc.

20170302_164655.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

I understand the clutter comment. However, I go to great lengths to organize it so it does not look like clutter.  Not to mention when everything has a custom built hanger it has a place and easier to put away and keep shop clean.

I should think more about a Systainer for disc storage. Right now it would take several of them though as I have 5", 6" and triangle detail disc.

20170302_164655.jpg

I just don't like looking at "clutter " 

All the stickers on your tool box would drive me nuts. While you made beautiful open tool storage. I would prefer cabinet doors on them. Not judging, just my weird OCD. 

I recently bought some acrylic piano hinges on eBay to make acrylic storage boxes. 

My shop throws away a lot of small scraps. See through boxes could be nice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

I just don't like looking at "clutter " 

All the stickers on your tool box would drive me nuts. While you made beautiful open tool storage. I would prefer cabinet doors on them. Not judging, just my weird OCD. 

I recently bought some acrylic piano hinges on eBay to make acrylic storage boxes. 

My shop throws away a lot of small scraps. See through boxes could be nice.

LOL, I cant say I like the stickers much either.

However about 7 years ago I found out how many drawers you can open before tipping the toolbox over.  It held up very well for what it went through but the drawers got dinged up pretty good.

I like the stickers more than the dings. But I am 100% with you on the stickers.

And as I said with my memory, I need stuff visible so I remember to use it.

• Like 1