Always amazed at Extreme Woodworker.

rrmccabe

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely green with envy, but when you have a shop like that, it's hard to make a "how to" video the average Joe can follow. It's like me going down to the Toyota plant and making a "how to build your own engine" video. 

Nothing wrong with it. It gives you something to aspire to and the guy probably has fun making the videos, but it's hard to watch the whole thing. 

Awesome video! Is that a 20" jointer planer combo in the background?!?!?!?!?! Really cool seeing the Lamello in action, I've only seen a product video before. It's really really weird not seeing a glue up assembly. My DF500 still uses glue! It's pretty cool seeing an amateur with a shop like that, kind of like a gear head with a bazillion bucks in cro mo wrenches and hot rods all about. Weird to see a wood nerd sporting tools like that!

• Like 1

A lot of his videos are using stuff that the average Joe can do. This one was crazy as far as bizarre methods.  I agree there was no point in building that shelf the way he did. I think he was just showing how to use the technology.

He is a domino guy has well, and mentioned in a video he has never made a traditional tenon after buying the Domino.

When I watched the first video I thought it was some multi-millionaire with lots of toys but after you follow him for a while you realize he is just an average guy that probably goes without in other areas.

But seriously where do you buy this stuff?  Is there a Dubai Woodworkers catalog floating around?

Sad to say, I'm not impressed. Anybody with that kind of money and those kinds of tools better be cranking out some of the best shit we see, otherwise they're just a big douchebag with too much money and too much time.

Sorry, but we all make great things with what we have, we all "make do" most of the time. Give any of us a shop like that and the stuff we make better look ten times better than it does now.

And this is why I don't post too many of my projects here or anywhere. I've got some serious cash in my shop and my projects are my projects. I don't have the balls that some guys have, to post my builds.  I'm always afraid I'll get an ear full for it if somebody doesn't like it. The truth is, to each there own. I've got a lot of money wrapped up in my shop. If I could get a Felder table saw...done. The truth is, some guys have hobbies. Those hobbies, if we are so blessed to pursue, generally cost money. If a guy likes cars, he builds and modifies cars. If a guy likes turning wrenches, the same is true. Motorcycles, photography, guns etc etc etc. I guess, to each there own but I for one think this is a great post @rrmccabe I subscribed to this guy as soon as I saw your post. He has a lot of talent and has one heck of a wood shop. I watched some of his build videos and this guy has some skills to be sure and clearly a wallet to buy the best. I think it's amazing that this guys used all of those friggin tools to build a simple cabinet but he's got $$$ wrapped up in tools. When I built my stupid little clamp rack I used my Sawstop, TS55REQ and my CXS. A lot of cash for a stupid little project but I spent money on those beasts, I don't care if they get relegated to Pine work. Good for him! Doesn't one of our guys have an edge banner like that.

Hey, don't get me wrong, maybe I stated it a little harshly. My opinion of people who show their stuff is simple: If you have a shop like that you're not going to impress me by your equipment or your skill. Impress me by doing the same stuff without all of the expensive equipment. If I had a shop filled with expensive equipment my projects better look like the greatest professional in the world did it, otherwise all of that gear means nothing. Anybody who could work in that kind of shop would produce better stuff, it's the nature of the beast.

Want to impress me? Build a table from scratch with nothing but old hand tools, like the Amish do. Create a metal masterpiece with a forge and hammer, like old-world blacksmiths used to do. Building that shit with a shop full of fancy expensive equipment won't cut it for me.

Hobbies are hobbies, but when you have a shop like that it's not a hobby anymore...you're supposed to produce big projects that look awesome, that's why you have that kind of shop. What I do at home is a hobby, whatever I build, whatever I fix, it's all just some schmuck in a garage with some tools. Extreme Woodworker, Rich, Chris...what you guys do is more than a hobby. You guys should be building the shit that we want to buy, you're that good and that's what you have those awesome shops for. I can't expect any less, and I shouldn't have to.

Not trying to offend, probably not choosing the right words, but it is what it is. I don't impress easy, not that kind of guy.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

I think it's amazing that this guys used all of those friggin tools to build a simple cabinet but he's got $$$ wrapped up in tools.

I don't think it's amazing at all...might be a bit jealous maybe, but not amazed. He has the fantastic tools that allow him to build fantastic stuff, he should be building fantastic stuff. If you invest that kind of money into something you better produce damned-good results, it's your obligation to produce excellent results.

All good Ed.

I think your initial reaction is common. I was not sure how to feel when I watched his first video. But in reality he is a pretty down to earth guy that has been collecting and upgrading for 38 years.

He is out of my $$$ league and everyone I know for that matter. But he does seem like a good guy.

1 hour ago, Kato said:

Hey, don't get me wrong, maybe I stated it a little harshly. My opinion of people who show their stuff is simple: If you have a shop like that you're not going to impress me by your equipment or your skill. Impress me by doing the same stuff without all of the expensive equipment. If I had a shop filled with expensive equipment my projects better look like the greatest professional in the world did it, otherwise all of that gear means nothing. Anybody who could work in that kind of shop would produce better stuff, it's the nature of the beast.

Want to impress me? Build a table from scratch with nothing but old hand tools, like the Amish do. Create a metal masterpiece with a forge and hammer, like old-world blacksmiths used to do. Building that shit with a shop full of fancy expensive equipment won't cut it for me.

Hobbies are hobbies, but when you have a shop like that it's not a hobby anymore...you're supposed to produce big projects that look awesome, that's why you have that kind of shop. What I do at home is a hobby, whatever I build, whatever I fix, it's all just some schmuck in a garage with some tools. Extreme Woodworker, Rich, Chris...what you guys do is more than a hobby. You guys should be building the shit that we want to buy, you're that good and that's what you have those awesome shops for. I can't expect any less, and I shouldn't have to.

Not trying to offend, probably not choosing the right words, but it is what it is. I don't impress easy, not that kind of guy.

I totally get this... 

I'm impressed by Japanese joinery much more than i am with this guy, albeit very awesome to watch the equipment he's got

10 hours ago, ChrisK said:

And this is why I don't post too many of my projects here or anywhere. I've got some serious cash in my shop and my projects are my projects. I don't have the balls that some guys have, to post my builds.  I'm always afraid I'll get an ear full for it if somebody doesn't like it. The truth is, to each there own. I've got a lot of money wrapped up in my shop. If I could get a Felder table saw...done. The truth is, some guys have hobbies. Those hobbies, if we are so blessed to pursue, generally cost money. If a guy likes cars, he builds and modifies cars. If a guy likes turning wrenches, the same is true. Motorcycles, photography, guns etc etc etc. I guess, to each there own but I for one think this is a great post @rrmccabe I subscribed to this guy as soon as I saw your post. He has a lot of talent and has one heck of a wood shop. I watched some of his build videos and this guy has some skills to be sure and clearly a wallet to buy the best. I think it's amazing that this guys used all of those friggin tools to build a simple cabinet but he's got $$$ wrapped up in tools. When I built my stupid little clamp rack I used my Sawstop, TS55REQ and my CXS. A lot of cash for a stupid little project but I spent money on those beasts, I don't care if they get relegated to Pine work. Good for him! Doesn't one of our guys have an edge banner like that.

I didn't mean to come across as being a dick about it. Hey, I'm a tool guy and I'm naturally awestruck by the money this dude has in his set up. It takes all kinds to make the online tool community worthwhile. From guys with million dollar shops to guys trying to build all their shit with a corded drill and a hacksaw, they're all essential. Everyone needs something to aspire to. 

What I should have said is that this guys equipment is so far beyond my own that there's very little correlation between our methods and for that reason alone, it doesn't interest me as much as videos by people to which I can more closely relate. 

As as for posting your projects, that's just nonsense. I'm sure you're no Norm Abram, but neither are the rest of us. Don't ever be afraid to put yourself out there on TIA. I've never criticized a man's work. A man's project is his own and whether it's seeing what to do or what not to do, the contrast and comparison ultimately makes us all better at our crafts. Don't ever be afraid to show off your work here my brother. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

I didn't mean to come across as being a dick about it. Hey, I'm a tool guy and I'm naturally awestruck by the money this dude has in his set up. It takes all kinds to make the online tool community worthwhile. From guys with million dollar shops to guys trying to build all their shit with a corded drill and a hacksaw, they're all essential. Everyone needs something to aspire to. 

What I should have said is that this guys equipment is so far beyond my own that there's very little correlation between our methods and for that reason alone, it doesn't interest me as much as videos by people to which I can more closely relate. 

As as for posting your projects, that's just nonsense. I'm sure you're no Norm Abram, but neither are the rest of us. Don't ever be afraid to put yourself out there on TIA. I've never criticized a man's work. A man's project is his own and whether it's seeing what to do or what not to do, the contrast and comparison ultimately makes us all better at our crafts. Don't ever be afraid to show off your work here my brother. 

You haven't seen my woodwork, haha. My latest project came out better than the previous stuff but I managed to mess up the stain in a couple spots...but it was a toy box for my dog so he didn't seem to mind. haha

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

You haven't seen my woodwork, haha. My latest project came out better than the previous stuff but I managed to mess up the stain in a couple spots...but it was a toy box for my dog so he didn't seem to mind. haha

Everybody screws up something now and again. Even Diresta and those guys goof, they just don't let you see it.

Most people don't mind showing off their best stuff, but few people want to show off their worst. My problem is that my best is only as good as some others guys worst ☹️

5 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

Everybody screws up something now and again. Even Diresta and those guys good, they just don't let you see it.

Most people don't mind showing off their best stuff, but few people want to show off their worst. My problem is that my best is only as good as some others guys worst ☹️

Same, there's some damn talented guys on this forum.

No worries! Just seeing those tools on a guys home shop is amazing. Not a commercial shop at all just a hobbyist. The guy has tools like Timothy Wilmott who is an amazingly talented designer and builder. It's hard to imagine having those things piled up in a shop at my house, in the basement, especially when I have what I consider to be very high end tools. To me, a hobby is a big deal. It allows a guy to leave his regular life at the back door and enjoy something of his own making. A buddy of mine, Dave, builds 16th-17th era homes by hand, using hand tools, with trees he has harvested by hand. The guy is amazing and I occasionally go over and "help" him out. Clearly it is one sided, I am learning from the best. He asked me over the summer why I liked doing this (woodworking, building) so much and my response was that at the end of the day, you have a finished project. It's something you did, with your hands, and there is a tangible object you can look at. To me this is a big deal. At my job there is never and end, only a break when you go home and come back. Then on to the next day. That to me is why having the shop is so important and the project work, though always up to judgement, is still yours. I was talking to a friend of mine over the winter and he was admiring a cutting board I had made. I batched a bunch out for Christmas last year, and he started telling me how he sells small pine do dads online and has been making a few thousand bucks for his hobbies and he told me I'd kill it at local shows and I was like, dude, I couldn't stand seeing my work go out and no selling. Sometimes I think I am a ballsy kind of guy, I have to be at work and it carries on everywhere but when it comes to my hobby, totally different story. It's funny seeing a guys who can put out that amount of cash for a personal hobby. I've spent a lot of money in my shop but man.... if I had that cash I'd be getting dirty looks from everybody! I'd have a Felder, a Hammer, Mafel, Festool.....err I have Feetool soooo...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChrisK said:

No worries! Just seeing those tools on a guys home shop is amazing. Not a commercial shop at all just a hobbyist. The guy has tools like Timothy Wilmott who is an amazingly talented designer and builder. It's hard to imagine having those things piled up in a shop at my house, in the basement, especially when I have what I consider to be very high end tools. To me, a hobby is a big deal. It allows a guy to leave his regular life at the back door and enjoy something of his own making. A buddy of mine, Dave, builds 16th-17th era homes by hand, using hand tools, with trees he has harvested by hand. The guy is amazing and I occasionally go over and "help" him out. Clearly it is one sided, I am learning from the best. He asked me over the summer why I liked doing this (woodworking, building) so much and my response was that at the end of the day, you have a finished project. It's something you did, with your hands, and there is a tangible object you can look at. To me this is a big deal. At my job there is never and end, only a break when you go home and come back. Then on to the next day. That to me is why having the shop is so important and the project work, though always up to judgement, is still yours. I was talking to a friend of mine over the winter and he was admiring a cutting board I had made. I batched a bunch out for Christmas last year, and he started telling me how he sells small pine do dads online and has been making a few thousand bucks for his hobbies and he told me I'd kill it at local shows and I was like, dude, I couldn't stand seeing my work go out and no selling. Sometimes I think I am a ballsy kind of guy, I have to be at work and it carries on everywhere but when it comes to my hobby, totally different story. It's funny seeing a guys who can put out that amount of cash for a personal hobby. I've spent a lot of money in my shop but man.... if I had that cash I'd be getting dirty looks from everybody! I'd have a Felder, a Hammer, Mafel, Festool.....err I have Feetool soooo...

I can relate. I got into woodworking when Mrs. Conductor got into primitive home furnishings. I just built stuff for her, never for sale. Then her friends started bringing me lumber and having me make stuff for them.

I'm never comfortable giving someone a price. I give them a material list and they bring me what I need. Eventually, she'd decide she wanted something different so she'd sell her old one and I'd use the money to finance the new one. She sold a coffee and end table for a couple hundred dollars, a hutch for $400, and got $500 out of an entertainment center. Everything in our house that I've made has someone who has dibs on it if she gets rid of it. 

I dont mind her her selling the stuff I've built, but I don't like to build stuff for sale if that makes any sense. I make stuff for family members upon request too, but usually as gifts. I have a local primitive seller that has tried on numerous occasions to get me to build stuff. I'm not afraid of my work being judged, but like you I'm reluctant to let one of the few things that bring me joy become a job. 

• Like 2

I guess I'm trying to figure out who buys Lamello tools and fastener systems? 

I work at the largest non union set shop in LA. 10 table saws, 18 new chop saws, water jet, 6 CNC one more on order, full metal shop, a bunch of festool in the tool room. Yada yada yada.

I recently interviewed at a place that does high end permanent installs in large institutions across the country and their equipment was no where near my current shop.

I have been in woodworking shops, cabinet shops etc... I have been collecting tools for about 30 years now and I have never even heard of Lamello till Rich posted that video.

Someone must be buying this stuff, who?

• Like 1

Seems to me it would be for people that build high end stuff that gets knocked down and shipped.

He has some crazy stuff. I think he has a fetish for off the wall tools. To be honest 7 out of 10 items in his shop are things I have never heard of.

I like nice tools but festool is as exotic as it gets for me.