I need help deciding on a router

Jronman

15 hours ago, Grumpy MSG said:

3 H.P. is overkill for what you are doing. My experience is with the Porter-Cable 690 and the 890 which can use the same bases as the 690. I am not going to encourage you to purchase one of them just because of that. You probably would be happiest with a router in the 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 HP range with variable speed settings and I would suggest is that you get a kit that comes with a fixed base and a plunge base. You want to run it with DeWALT track so it would be easiest to look at them although Porter-Cable was the standard for so long, most of the patterns for any router table plate list the PCs first. The one I would look at first would be the DW618PKB, you can pick one up at Lowe's for $199. 

This is what I was going to say. You'd be surprised how power a 2hp router has.

Save money on a router and buy some quality bits, accessories and router table. I kind of want to pick up the Keter-made Husky work table with router plate too. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-8-ft-x-3-ft-Portable-Jobsite-Workbench-225047/205887786

I have decided this is the router I want to get:

Bosch MRP23EVS 2.3 HP Electronic Plunge-Base Router

Also thinking these 2 bit sets would be sufficient for starters: 

3 pc Router Bit Set for Undersize Plywood, 1/2 Shank, Whiteside 470 

5 pc Roundover and Beading Bit Set, 1/4 Shank, Whiteside 502

Thanks for the help everyone. I really appreciate it.

17 hours ago, rrmccabe said:

Are you set on the track?  I have a Festool and complete track setup and rarely use it.

I'm gonna use the track for dado and rabbets. Mostly for 3/4" and 1/4" ply. I may do a bit of cleaning up edges or dog cutting with the track as well.

1 hour ago, Jronman said:

I have decided this is the router I want to get:

Bosch MRP23EVS 2.3 HP Electronic Plunge-Base Router

Also thinking these 2 bit sets would be sufficient for starters: 

3 pc Router Bit Set for Undersize Plywood, 1/2 Shank, Whiteside 470 

5 pc Roundover and Beading Bit Set, 1/4 Shank, Whiteside 502

Thanks for the help everyone. I really appreciate it.

I'm gonna use the track for dado and rabbets. Mostly for 3/4" and 1/4" ply. I may do a bit of cleaning up edges or dog cutting with the track as well.

NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  DO NOT get the MRP23EVS.  

I have this unit.  It is okay, but will not work as a unit you can put in a router lift.  I brought that fact up to the Bosch router people when I went to one of their media events.  I asked what they were thinking and they didn't want to talk about it.  It looked like it was a sore subject with them.  

Just trying to help you out here.  I learned the hard way.  I had that unit first and then had to go buy a 1617 for the lift I bought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tugnut1 said:

I have this unit.  It is okay, but will not work as a unit you can put in a router lift.

Thanks for the info. Its not a huge deal its not lift compatible except the multibase sounds like a better option now haha. what do you think of this model?

Bosch MRC23EVSK

It is similar to the one you have except looks like it has more ergonomic handles, led light, on/off trigger instead of on/off switch, and soft start.

15 minutes ago, Jronman said:

Thanks for the info. Its not a huge deal its not lift compatible except the multibase sounds like a better option now haha. what do you think of this model?

Bosch MRC23EVSK

It is similar to the one you have except looks like it has more ergonomic handles, led light, on/off trigger instead of on/off switch, and soft start.

This is the same model.  The only difference is this one comes with a standard base and a plunge base verses just the plunge base.  If you don't ever think you will use it in a router table lift, then its okay, but I still wouldn't go with it.  

Here is why.  In the bases, standard and plunge, there are groove on the inside that line up with grooves on motor.  This is where the connection is made from your handles (trigger) to the motor itself.  I have had the trigger not start the motor on occasion.  I have to fiddle with it a bit and then its fine.  I think it has to do with how the base connects to the motor.  Its just an area that can go wrong.  I know any power switch can fail, but there has to be a reason why no other tool company has picked up this design.  The thought for this switch modification is so you can start the unit with both hands on the router verses taking one hand off to start the unit.  With a plunge base, it doesn't matter and with a standard base, you will never be starting the router with the bit on the wood already....so to me its not a factor.  

Sorry, I just don't want to see someone make the same mistake I did.  Its not a bad router, but it has its drawbacks.

46 minutes ago, Jronman said:

@tugnut1 does the 1617 have a light? I seen posts that don't mention a light and posts that do. Also does the plunge base have fine depth adjustment like the fixed base?

No light

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/router-attachments-medium-large-routers-ra1166-27302-p/

When I got into routing a few years ago before my forum days, I had no idea what I needed to start out. I wanted to cover all bases, but I didn't want shitty bits either.

I ended up buying this 36 piece carbide set from Grizzly:

IMG_7016.JPG.d2ff0582ea56ebe21948ba1f16832e1c.JPG

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Router-Bit-36-pc-Set-1-4-Shank/H3426?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

IIRC I gave $99 for it, but keep in mind this has been 8-10 years ago. I figured this set would get me started, then I could replace them as needed with higher end stuff. I've yet to replace one and if I did, I'd probably buy theses again. They've been great bits for the price I paid. 

They aren't the quality of Freud bits, but I'll say I've probably used them at least once a month. I keep them clean and keep check on the bearings, but they've honestly been great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Conductor562 said:

When I got into routing a few years ago before my forum days, I had no idea what I needed to start out. I wanted to cover all bases, but I didn't want shitty bits either.

I ended up buying this 36 piece carbide set from Grizzly:

IMG_7016.JPG.d2ff0582ea56ebe21948ba1f16832e1c.JPG

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Router-Bit-36-pc-Set-1-4-Shank/H3426?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

IIRC I gave $99 for it, but keep in mind this has been 8-10 years ago. I figured this set would get me started, then I could replace them as needed with higher end stuff. I've yet to replace one and if I did, I'd probably buy theses again. They've been great bits for the price I paid. 

They aren't the quality of Freud bits, but I'll say I've probably used them at least once a month. I keep them clean and keep check on the bearings, but they've honestly been great.

I was looking at those recently, thanks for the recommendation.

20 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

FYI: With Grizzly, the purple bits are the higher end while the ugly green are the lower end.

Thanks, there really doesn't seem to be anything telling you what the difference is...Right now my only experience is with Ryobi and Freud bits. Ryobi bits have been better than I had hoped.

14 hours ago, BMack37 said:

Thanks, there really doesn't seem to be anything telling you what the difference is...Right now my only experience is with Ryobi and Freud bits. Ryobi bits have been better than I had hoped.

There used to be a little more info in the catalog about them. For the green bits the only feature they really cite are 600 grit carbide edges. For the purple "Super Duty" they tout 800 grit carbide, 4140 steel, and being made in an ISO 9001 factory (which almost inevitably means Taiwan rather than China). 

In any event, it's been a great set 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much agree with everyone here, 3HP and above is pretty cumbersome to handle freehand. Best used in a router table. I have the PC 7532(3 1/2HP) in a cast iron Bench Dog router lift. Love this setup, being able to adjust the router bit height from above is the best thing since sliced bread. For freehand work I use the Bosch 1617 and Bosch Colt. I try to use the Colt whenever I can get away with it because the thing is so damn handy.

Also second Conductors recommendation, the Grizzly 36 piece router set is a great way to start. The only bits that I have upgraded are the 1/2", 3/4" straight bits an the 1/4" round over. Though I have added quite a few bits to this set, the tongue and groove set is probably used the most(I do a lot of wainscot and cabinet doors). Whiteside and CMT are great upgrade bits.

On 4/7/2017 at 11:53 AM, Conductor562 said:

There used to be a little more info in the catalog about them. For the green bits the only feature they really cite are 600 grit carbide edges. For the purple "Super Duty" they tout 800 grit carbide, 4140 steel, and being made in an ISO 9001 factory (which almost inevitably means Taiwan rather than China). 

In any event, it's been a great set 

I ended up getting a good deal on the 15-piece Skil set, $21 for it new, couldn't pass it up. Hopefully they'll at least be as good as the Ryobi bits that I've been impressed with.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...