Ridgid Vac "toolbox" should be modular with Pro Toolbox

JeremyJ

A couple years ago I started picking up the modular Ridgid Pro Toolboxes  for my bigger woodworking tools. In lieu of a Milwaukee version and being cheaper than tough system/festool. Just recently I purchased the Ridgid 4.5 gallon ProPac  "toolbox shape" Model # WD4522. After working with some Festool  vacs and seeing the Tstak adapter for their dust extractors, it got me thinking....

Put this vacuum and concept into one of 22"  Pro toolbox or a rolling base:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-4-5-gal-5-0-Peak-HP-Pro-Pack-Wet-Dry-Vac-WD4522/100638389

Do the same for the new battery powered compressor:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-1-Gal-18-Volt-Hand-Carry-Air-Compressor-Tool-Only-R0230/300507507

They have been on such a roll lately with the 18V tools.  They already specialize in vacuums and could be the poor mans Festool with sanding and dust control on saws/etc.  By not continuing to go modular, there are huge missed opportunities. I might just go to with new cheaper Tough System....

• Like 1

Ridgid does make a good vac. cfm levels are great. Possibly enough to get them second place in shop vac cfm ratings. a ridgid pro system compatible gen 5x vac or compressor would be cool. Same goes with a tough system vac, and compressor.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have a Ridgid vac at work. The hp is less than all our craftsman vacs and yet it manages to outperform all of them. We also have a shop vac brand vac and it outperforms the the craftsman as well. Hard to go wrong with a Ridgid vac.

MORE POWA tm. registered trademark of @Framer joe

• Like 2

On 5/22/2017 at 9:07 PM, Framer joe said:

Would the rigid cordless compressor fit in there ?

The Ridgid compressor is about 16" tall, the inside dimensions of the box is about 13" tall. So unless you maybe remove the handle which sticks up the highest, it might have to lay down or some other modification might be required

• 3 months later...

The sad part is most of these companies are capable of doing this. Put a compressor and a vacuum into these rolling and stack-able tool boxes.

DeWalt Flexvolt/hybrid power air compressor/vacumn  in a rolling Toughbox.

Ridgid has so many compressors and vacuum combinations they could install into the Pro tool boxes.

Even Husky has a rolling tool box system now, put a compressor in it.

When does the Ryobi tool box system, come out? lol

I'm wondering if it would be feasible to modify one of the small boxes to mount the compressor on top.  Fitting it inside a rolling box would be great, but the small box is cheaper and should be just large enough to fit a couple of nailers and perhaps spare batteries and/or charger and other small items in.  So long as you don't go overboard, it should hold up to being carried using the compressor's handle, plus you could still attach it on top of the other boxes.

I've got a bunch of rubber insulated steel straps in various sizes, and I'm thinking that four of those with either fender washers or steel/aluminum bars (perhaps even a sheet of aluminum with all four bolts running through it) attached to to the inside of the lid would suffice to prevent the lid from breaking, while providing a damper for the small amount of vibration this thing produces.

Another possibility might be to build a mount that attached via the boxes' attachment bars.  Wood would get worn down quickly, so either metal or maybe 3D printing would work?  The last idea would be if someone has an extra large box, and wanted to mount the compressor on it.  This would preclude multiple boxes but would provide plenty of space for hoses, nailers, and supplies.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I took a ridgid tote and notched a hole in one side of it for the vacuum port. I think I trimmed the small interior stiffners to allow it to set all the way down. I also cut the cord off of the vac and replaced it with a flush mount male plug. Tired of having to roll up the cord just to go to the garbage. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...