Flap disc "rejuvenation"...

Kato

So...I've been tossing an idea around in my head for some time, and finally put it into effect. Every time I need to buy more flap discs I get mad because I don't want to keep buying more flap discs. Even buying the cheaper ones, the price stacks up after a while. So, the idea I've been tossing around is a way to rejuvenate the old ones, which, I came up with a decent solution I think. I took a pair if snips and cut away the 1/8" or so of used sandpaper, exposing the cleaner stuff underneath. Tested it out and it works great, the disc is like new. Now at least I can get more life out of a disc before I have to buy new ones.

Anybody do this, or similar, to rejuvenate old discs??

And, is it "disc" or "disk"...I can never figure that out...

• Like 1

I'm going with disc. Though Webster's defines them identically, I think disc is truer to the Latin origin (discus) in all but a few situations. Especially when being used to describe a round object, I feel disc is the appropriate spelling.

I'm not sure how you are using the said flapper disc, when I'm done with using one there isn't much left to rejuvenate ....evenly worn to basically nothing....

I've never worn one down where there was little or no material left, typically the sandpaper just gets filled to the point of being smooth...and basically useless. I figured out that cutting away that used, smooth area exposed fresh material, it works so I ain't complaining.

I'm not sure how you are using the said flapper disc, when I'm done with using one there isn't much left to rejuvenate ....evenly worn to basically nothing....

Same thing especially the edge wears down pretty bare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

after looking over it closer, I decided to look even closer, there is 73 flaps I would have to trim off and there is a resin that holds each part of the flaps on the disc so it can spin at the RPM needed. so when I buy these disc's I buy them in bulk and only when they are on sale. considering I'm paying less than $2 ea for them it is not worth the effort for me to cut them back for me anyway it was a good idea but to time consuming for me....

20170409_215206 (1).jpg

4 hours ago, Fletcher94 said:

I have always looked at flap disks as consumables. When they wear down I grab a new one. 

Same here. I got about a dozen Grip Rite branded ones for practically nothing and didn't have to buy any for a good while. The Dewalt brand seem to last forever. Hard to get past a yellow disc on a red grinder though ?

• 4 years later...

I’m currently working on a solution to this problem without manually having the tedious task of cutting each and every square of sand paper glued to the disc. It’s such a waste to only be able to use the outside 1/4 of an inch or less. I found out I didn’t have the patience to cut each flap and if you factor in your time, it’s cheaper to buy a new one. At one time there was a company that produced some kinda flap disc that was trim-able, but I’ve not been able to find them. Personally, until i find an efficient way to revive a flap discs, I’ve switched to Resin Fiber disc. I think they work just as good-if not better, they’re durable, and cleanable with a wire brush or wheel. An even better solution- although more expensive- is a shaping disc. You can find these at your better woodworking retailers. They’re technically produced for carving applications but work great on any wood project as long as you’re working nail and metal free.