Who else has a tool problem?

Jordan1995

30 minutes ago, HiltiWpg said:

I have purged my DMM collection.
Everything is gone except a Fluke 117, Fluke 17b+, Fluke 107, Fluke 323 and a Greenlee CM 410!

I got rid of the Klein I reviewed as the display was just too hard to read. I even emailed Klein and all they had to say was "not much we can do, that's how they are".

I have had Milwaukee, Triplitt, Klein, Fluke, Greenlee and I always go back to the Fluke. Maybe it's a personal bias. Maybe they make good meters.

I think I am gonna get an Amprobe next...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've actually been looking at some of the Greenlees, they're OEMed by Brymen which are supposed to be very good. I want a dual display DMM. I've tried several other meters but Fluke works for me better as a DMM, I need a latched super-fast continuity beeper and I want the reliability and input protection.

I must admit, for the clamp meter, I don't really see a reason to pick the Fluke over the Klein but I do use clamp meters infrequently...input protection is great on both, more features on the Klein and it's accurate enough. I'll have to admit, I've never noticed an issue with it's display, I use it mostly inside so that could be why(no polarized sunglasses, no sunlight). I'll have to check it out, I know a lot of meters have an issue with viewing from the top down or in certain light angles, the Brymen 235 comes to mind.

Let me know how you like the Amprobe!

• Like 1

I'll have to check it out, I know a lot of meters have an issue with viewing from the top down or in certain light angles, the Brymen 235 comes to mind.

Let me know how you like the Amprobe!

Top down isn't problem, it's straight on. It's 20-25% at best from directly in front and gets even worse from top down. Throw on the backlight and you can't read it from straight on. I always hang my meter close to eye level.
Pretty terrible design if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

Top down isn't problem, it's straight on. It's 20-25% at best from directly in front and gets even worse from top down. Throw on the backlight and you can't read it from straight on. I always hang my meter close to eye level.
Pretty terrible design if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just tested my CL700 and mine is ok 90 degrees, get a little lower and it's good. Just above center height and I get the results you share. It's worse than most with how little above the 90 degree viewing angle but I never noticed because I normally hold it when I'm using it so I'm viewing from slightly below.

That's a big display for the size! Coincidence, I almost bought a Fluke 233A today, first DMM I've considered buying in over a month! I'll probably take it or the Greenlee (If it's still there) if I can sell my Milwaukee 2216-20 DMM

• Like 1

Today's "Tug tool problem" is that I'm bored, so I've watched hours of tool reviews which led me to go outside and play with my drills. I've literally been drilling holes in wood and steel just to enjoy my high-end BL toys! Gave me a chance to try my new TCT Starrett cutters, they're bloody good! 79mm through 2" timber, no problem. 51mm through mild steel trunking, child's play. 

Sorry, but just had to share. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I'll admit I may have a problem...  Picked up DeWalt's latest compact hammer drill (DCD796), along with another drywall screwgun, work light, and one each 4Ah and 2Ah batteries at a pawn shop yesterday.  I really want the DCD996 and the DCF887 and was hoping to find the latter in the bag.  Found these at a local pawn shop for $150, so I figured it wasn't a bad buy despite already having everything besides the new drill (I already had the previous generation compact brushless drill and hammer drill, though).  Time off is about to be precious again, so I decided to spoil myself one last time.

The light output on the DCD796 is outstanding, though!  I was comparing it to the DCD790 last night and it matches the brightness of the older drill on the lowest setting.  The 20 minute work light setting is great too, and there is a noticeable difference between the speed of the DCD790 and DCD796.  I have yet to compare it to its predecessor (DCD795).

I did make note that the Fuel Sawzall starter kit has been reduced to $225 at a local Home Depot.  When I bought the circular saw kit I was planning to buy the Sawzall eventually, and it has been tempting to say the least.  Then again, the 18v and 20v Max reciprocating saws have done everything I've needed them for, and I really don't want to starting splurging on Milwaukee tools like I have DeWalt. 

Anyway, this will be my last post for a while.  I have a Statistics exam due Monday and in about an hour the latest class of trainees will be showing up to be "welcomed" to Infantry training.  Anyway, for the next few weeks, my DCL043 will be the most used tool, spotlighting and confusing wayward trainees after lights out on those nights I have duty.  Love it--the red light makes them think another trainee has an unusually bright angled-head flashlight (they all buy the basic Vietnam-era design light at Reception).  The looks on their faces when they realize Drill Sergeant caught them out of their bunks is priceless!

• 2 months later...
On 22/05/2017 at 1:55 AM, Tug said:

Today's "Tug tool problem" is that I'm bored, so I've watched hours of tool reviews which led me to go outside and play with my drills. I've literally been drilling holes in wood and steel just to enjoy my high-end BL toys! Gave me a chance to try my new TCT Starrett cutters, they're bloody good! 79mm through 2" timber, no problem. 51mm through mild steel trunking, child's play. 

Sorry, but just had to share. 

I do the same thing! I almost always have a drill just sitting on my desk at work. I give it the occasional spin. It's like a stress ball. 

• Haha 1

"At least tool collecting is a functional hobby.  I've invested quite a bit into power tools over the past year-plus, and they've mostly sat around the apartment until the past week or so, when I've actually had time to work on the project house."

Damn, I wrote the above over three months ago without posting it and it popped up when I decided to hit reply to this thread again.

Anyway, I haven't used my tools much since then, but eventually I'll post a pic of my collection.  I added the DeWalt DCD996 and two Ridgid fans this week alone, and really need to sell off my 18v Porter Cable as well as the Kobalt impact and Hitachi impact driver.  As of now I'm at nine different systems.  

• Like 1

Now on to battery platform number four, just bought a Bosch 36v SDS, GBH 36 VF LI to be precise. It came with one 4 Amp battery for 360 quid, good price for the UK. I've picked up a 2 Amp pack for 45 quid to give me a second pack, that'll do for now. Will probably get another 4 Amp pack later, but this'll do until I find a bargain. 

I really want the matching combi drill, but they seem thin on the ground, hope Bosch aren't going to drop them! 

As I use these tools daily, I don't see it as a problem. Storing them is definitely a problem! They take up a lot of space! 

• Like 3

I wish I used mine daily, but I now have three battery platforms I plan to keep (DeWalt, Milwaukee, Ridgid), and a few other platforms which are obsolete and/or which I only have one tool for (Kobalt 20v, Hitachi 12v and 18v, Porter Cable 12v and 18v).  I really need to give the PC stuff to my son or a friend and sell the Kobalt and Hitachi.

• Like 2

I've ended up with 4 battery platforms (Metabo 18V, Dewalt 18V, Makita 18V, Bosch 12V). I sold some of the Metabo and Bosch and was looking to completely sell them off to reduce to two.  

I couldn't do it.

I look for bargains on chargers and batteries on eBay. It only cost me $150 AUD to get into the Dewalt platform, and now I have the pick of any Dewalt tool. $150 really isn't much considering the benefit it brings. 

I recently forgot to bid on a genuine Milwaukee charger that went for only $38 AUD!

Spread the love, people, spread the love! If you're using them to earn your living, then they're an investment! You're also going to see much longer lifespans from them because you're spreading the load by not using the same machine every day! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tug said:

Spread the love, people, spread the love! If you're using them to earn your living, then they're an investment! You're also going to see much longer lifespans from them because you're spreading the load by not using the same machine every day! 

I'm considering having a work set and a personal set. Not on every tool but on at least a drill and Impact.

7 hours ago, Jronman said:

I'm considering having a work set and a personal set. Not on every tool but on at least a drill and Impact.

I have high end kit for personal use and Ryobi to lend out as loaners, I've had two high end drills dropped and subsequently damaged when other people were using them. I also won't lose sleep if the Ryobi kit gets stolen. 

4 hours ago, Tug said:

I have high end kit for personal use and Ryobi to lend out as loaners, I've had two high end drills dropped and subsequently damaged when other people were using them. I also won't lose sleep if the Ryobi kit gets stolen. 

I don't lend tools anymore. I've had too many issues and just said...."enough! Buy your own"!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

I don't lend tools anymore. I've had too many issues and just said...."enough! Buy your own"!

Hopefully I won't have to go that far, but there are certain people I won't lend to. I only take what I need to each job, then I know I'm telling the truth when I say I haven't got what they need. I don't like doing it, but this stuff ain't cheap and they don't respect the fact that they're using someone else's kit. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tug said:

Hopefully I won't have to go that far, but there are certain people I won't lend to. I only take what I need to each job, then I know I'm telling the truth when I say I haven't got what they need. I don't like doing it, but this stuff ain't cheap and they don't respect the fact that they're using someone else's kit. 

Haha no lies, love it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tug said:

I'm getting persnickety in my advanced years 😜

• Like 1