DCA2203C 18v to 20v

Justin Hernandez

Finally bought the DeWalt adapter this week. Saw a kit at Home Depot for $129 and thought that seems like an okay deal. Found out last night that Tyler Tool has it for $99 :huh:  I never seem to get good deals on tools that's why I wait forever to buy them..lol If only I can buy all my tools for a penny like Penny Ricky!! Anyways I have two milk crates full of dead XRP batteries and a huge bins of 18 volt tools probably two or three of every tool. I feel like seeing what my old tools can do with some fresh gas and relive the XRP days, so many memories O0 Like why is there batteries in the ice cooler ( because there hot and won't charge)..lol  This is just what I found in the garage on short notice, I love that drill :wub:

IMAG2952.jpg

IMAG2953.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

I have one Ni-Cad Dewalt tool left. A little 9V Drill/Driver I got when I was 15 or 16. I have no battery for it, but it was my very first power tool, so I hung onto it.

The old Nicad tools use to be top of the line, its crazy to even think that now with brushless tools and high amp hour packs. But the Xrp stuff was tough as nails, I think this was the same drill I dropped of a two story house ten years ago. The cheap craftsmen bit holder snapped off in the chuck when it hit the concrete and the battery popped out. I put it back together took the broken bit out and got back to work. I had a Makita brushless drill fell out the back of the truck onto asphalt earlier this month and it was game over only the led turns on. I guess it fell in just the rite spot 

Just now, Justin Hernandez said:

The old Nicad tools use to be top of the line, its crazy to even think that now with brushless tools and high amp hour packs. But the Xrp stuff was tough as nails, I think this was the same drill I dropped of a two story house ten years ago. The cheap craftsmen bit holder snapped off in the chuck when it hit the concrete and the battery popped out. I put it back together took the broken bit out and got back to work. I had a Makita brushless drill fell out the back of the truck onto asphalt earlier this month and it was game over only the led turns on. I guess it fell in just the rite spot 

Tough they were. I knocked a brushed Milwaukee impact off a roof a couple years ago and killed it. I took it apart and found the service field (magnetic ring) was in 3 or 4 pieces. Found one for $20 at ereplacementparts and fixed it. It worked long enough for some crackhead to steal it and brand new XC battery.

There's a thread on here somewhere documenting the repair. 

2 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

Tough they were. I knocked a brushed Milwaukee impact off a roof a couple years ago and killed it. I took it apart and found the service field (magnetic ring) was in 3 or 4 pieces. Found one for $20 at ereplacementparts and fixed it. It worked long enough for some crackhead to steal it and brand new XC battery.

There's a thread on here somewhere documenting the repair. 

That sucks, my truck was broken into one time and lost everything even had to pay to repair the door, lock, and door latch which was just as bad as the tool loss. I fixed some tools in the past lots of brushes and some bad switch's that were taken out of other tools to fix. Had a DeWalt 20v recip saw last year with power fluctuating opened it up and the spade terminal on one of the brushes was burning up. So I just cut it and put a butt connector on it and within ten mins my field repair was done and back to work I go. Thats just another reason why I will forever be a DeWalt guy. I will open the Makita one day but its not a priority, I will have to find your Milwaukee repair

We had 3 of those xrp drills that we got free with some buy a tool kit get a drill.  All 3 of them had clutch issues.  After about a month of use they acted like they were on the lowest torque setting.  Sent them back in for service and a month later the same thing.  Only thing they were good for was stirring paint, anything else and they clutch out.  Not sure why those 3 were duds but being that they were free we never really pushed the issue.

On 4/9/2017 at 2:17 PM, Justin Hernandez said:

Finally bought the DeWalt adapter this week. Saw a kit at Home Depot for $129 and thought that seems like an okay deal. Found out last night that Tyler Tool has it for $99 :huh:  I never seem to get good deals on tools that's why I wait forever to buy them..lol If only I can buy all my tools for a penny like Penny Ricky!! Anyways I have two milk crates full of dead XRP batteries and a huge bins of 18 volt tools probably two or three of every tool. I feel like seeing what my old tools can do with some fresh gas and relive the XRP days, so many memories O0 Like why is there batteries in the ice cooler ( because there hot and won't charge)..lol  This is just what I found in the garage on short notice, I love that drill :wub:

IMAG2952.jpg

IMAG2953.jpg

Lowe's had them for $99 a week or two ago. I almost grabbed one, I just can't bring myself to replace my DCD950, we have literally been halfway around the world and back together.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Justin Hernandez said:

Sucks to be me..lol

I looked last night and they were back up to $129. I keep seeing a bunch of their bare tools drop to $99 stay there for a few weeks and then go back up. I still have plenty of low use tools in the 18 volt line and I still have a few XRP batteries that hold a decent charge as well as a pair of the lithium ion batteries, so it may be years before the low use tools are replaced. Just about the only tine the big drill comes out any more is for drilling concrete in  the hammer drill mode. most of the rest of the time (holes 3/8" and under or the Kreg jig) I grab the little 12 volt Max.

I looked last night and they were back up to $129. I keep seeing a bunch of their bare tools drop to $99 stay there for a few weeks and then go back up. I still have plenty of low use tools in the 18 volt line and I still have a few XRP batteries that hold a decent charge as well as a pair of the lithium ion batteries, so it may be years before the low use tools are replaced. Just about the only tine the big drill comes out any more is for drilling concrete in  the hammer drill mode. most of the rest of the time (holes 3/8" and under or the Kreg jig) I grab the little 12 volt Max.

Check amazon I've seen the adapter only as low as 30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Just my luck, DeWalt has let me down for the first time, maybe ever? The batteries will not hold a charge only tried to use it the first time and it was dead. At first I thought maybe the heat from sitting in the truck has something to do to it. They where own in the truck for maybe 3 days or even less. But I keep my batteries in the cab with me in the A/c and have other DeWalt 4 amp batteries and other brands sit in the cab and never had an issue. Anyone know why the batteries are discharging?? I think I read somewhere that other people had the same problem with this kit I may have even read it on here but don't remember. Is there any reason why you can only use a 2 amp hour battery with the adapter and can't use a higher amp hour pack. I think I just might buy the adapter, but I only have 4 amp hour packs. I have had a lot of tool fails this year but this might be the first DeWalt fail I have ever had ever.  

IMAG3008.jpg

hmm maybe the battery is defective? My two 2.0 batteries haven't given me problems but they get medium light use in my drill and impact. I really like the 2.0 batteries. They are my favorite battery DeWALT offers. A 2.0 in my drill or impact lasts me quite awhile with light use. I used some 2.0's in a 20v circ saw last summer and the runtime was terrible. A saw is a higher demand tool than a drill and impact. I would guess the adapters are limited to 2.0 batteries and smaller because they are 5 cells vs 10 and 15 on the other DeWALT batteries.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

If it's anything like the USB adapter it will discharge your batteries, keep it off, I believe they limit the pack to 2.0 packs to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be able to see if the adapter would do anything like that by checking resistance with a DMM. I'd hope that it would be open but if there is a load, it's going to draw excess current in the form of heat.