What kind of tool user are you???

WeldfabNeil

I generally only use my good tools as they were intended but I have some HF tools around that I will use a screwdriver as a hammer/pry bar/punch. Most of my good screwdrivers have a soft grip so they don't make good hammers anyway. HF tools are also great for grinding and otherwise modifying.

I've been toying with the idea of trying to harden the steel on some HF hand tools.

Very good question lol as everyone I am sure knows I keep my tools up to top notch I clean them after every use and dont lend out I have spent countless hours on cleaning and repairing tools or restoring . like my 9 inch bosch I dont want anyone but me to operate because I have spent more then 24hours on it . Its sad to see how people treat there tools in a awful manner and then they go and say they are trash well its how you use the tool too. I only baby a few tools and others I push but not hard. I cringe when people absolute go ham and beat the shit out of them like stepping on cords pisses me off or throwing tools down I dont stand for if u do that then your not using my tools again. Sorry for the rant but when I use my tools I put them away in better condition . and to the very few I lend out I expect them to come back in better condition then I gave them in.

For the man hours you've spent taking care of your tools in what I would consider to be an unhealthy level, you probably could have bought all new ones already a few times over. Just saying...my time is valuable, not sure about yours. 3 hours of labor is all it would take for me to replace my impact, for instance. 

Other than levels, I do try to keep my levels nice. I cringe every time I drop or knock one over. I'll snap a picture of my tool trailer soon and post it once I reorganize again. I tend to get sloppy from week to week about keeping my floor clear of supplies/buckets/etc.  

• Like 2

For the man hours you've spent taking care of your tools in what I would consider to be an unhealthy level, you probably could have bought all new ones already a few times over. Just saying...my time is valuable, not sure about yours. 3 hours of labor is all it would take for me to replace my impact, for instance. 

Other than levels, I do try to keep my levels nice. I cringe every time I drop or knock one over. I'll snap a picture of my tool trailer soon and post it once I reorganize again. I tend to get sloppy from week to week about keeping my floor clear of supplies/buckets/etc.  

I'm just trying to think of the time and effort it would take to keep my Milwaukee grinder clean... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

I'm just trying to think of the time and effort it would take to keep my Milwaukee grinder clean... lol

Just compressed air and call it a day. Some tools are just going to get grimy. Wood tools are the same, there is going to be saw dust...just try to keep them dry.

3 hours, sure.
3 "additional" hours, unless you have no expenses in life. Why would I want to waste an additional 3 hours of my life. It only takes a minute to clean up a tool before you put it away. One minute of my life is far more important than having to waste 3 hours to pay for a preventable expense!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just compressed air and call it a day. Some tools are just going to get grimy. Wood tools are the same, there is going to be saw dust...just try to keep them dry.

Yea agreed I was thinking about CATEPILLAR wiping it down after heavy use lol sorry bro I love my tools and all but sometimes they get really dirty!

I am a bit OCD about my tools. Every tool has a place and it needs to be clean after working on tbr vehicle or job. At the end of the day, a quick wipe down of the box and power tools, then I go home. I figure I have paid a lot for my tools, they help me perform and complete my work in which I take pride. I want those tools to last a long time.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Some tools I use pretty much daily, some I use almost never. I always clean them up before putting them away. I wipe hand tools off, and blow the dust out of my power tools. 

I take a little extra care with infrequently used tools. If I know it will be idle for a long period of time, I'll give it a coat of oil or whatever is appropriate to prevent corrosion or other storage issues. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice thread! I get teased a bit about how clean my tools look but I'm not that obsessed with it. My main goal is to keep the internals clean. Bit of compressed air, and a quick wipe on the grip it necessary at the end of the day and that's good enough. My woodworking tools look new when cleaned, but are generally coated in sawdust. My Sawzall, grinder etc., I don't worry about cleaning them. They are made for dirty jobs. My automotive stuff is kept separate from woodworking stuff so the crap underneath my truck doesn't get on everything; just on the stuff I've purchased to make my truck last longer lol. I use the tools, I don't abuse the tools, but I don't treat them like they're treasures; they're tools. 

• Like 1

I pretty much never clean my tools. I feel compressed air just blows dust and debris INTO the tool. Who cares if its on the outside of the tool. I work with a ton of MDF, I just shake the dust off and thats about it. If there is a shop vac around or a dust extractor I'll use that. The only thing I used compress air on is the outside of my box and the top of the table saw. 

My mechanic tools just get wiped off with a rag before they go back in the box.

• Like 1