Milwaukee 18V or Ego String Trimmer?

On 4/23/2017 at 1:22 PM, Bremon said:

I'm still not convinced M18 has the juice to deliver stellar results. Ego and FlexVolt are both more appealing to me. 

I would just need it to trim around about 100 or so tombstones in the cemetery .... and my house.

• Like 1

A cordless trimmer that meets my needs is still years away. I burn 1-1/2 to 2 tanks of gas each time I mow and 3 or 4 every 3rd time because I do the hill in the front. Tons of brush and vines, etc. Not counting the shit I keep up with for other people. Even growing up I always had a ton of trimming to do. My dad used to joke about getting an electric trimmer to save on gas just to piss me off. As far as I'm concerned the Husqvarna 223L is the best trimmer I've ever used. It's light and nimble enough to use around the yard and powerful enough to throw a blade on and cut some brush. Of the dozens of trimmers I've used over the years, it's the only one I never had any gripes about whatsoever. 

That said, the performance all these cordless models are producing is pretty amazing compared to just a few years ago, but I guess the same could be said for pretty much all today's cordless tools. Having no dog in the fight, I like the feel of the Dewalt trimmer the best, but I still think Ego has the most upside at this point when considering the line as a whole. That could certainly change, but I'm not sure Milwaukee will ever be able to seriously appeal to the professional crowd with an 18V lineup. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2017 at 0:59 AM, Conductor562 said:

......... but I'm not sure Milwaukee will ever be able to seriously appeal to the professional crowd with an 18V lineup. 

This is a good statement because it makes me wonder if they are going to get serious about higher demand tools and OPE by developing a different battery stategy, as the18v 9.0 they are using now can't possibly keep up to the higher voltage tools.

Although, maybe they are going this route... who knows!

https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/solid-state-battery-technology/30038/

12 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

This is a good statement because it makes me wonder if they are going to get serious about higher demand tools and OPE by developing a different battery stategy, as the18v 9.0 they are using now can't possibly keep up to the higher voltage tools.

Although, maybe they are going this route... who knows!

https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/solid-state-battery-technology/30038/

A few years back we started hearing rumblings about Lithium Air batteries being the next big thing, but nothing ever came of it.

Performance aside, if the average less informed consumer, professional or otherwise, is standing in the store and has to make a choice between a 40V or 60V OPE tool or an 18V OPE tool, price point and quality being similar, he's going to grab the higher voltage tool 9 out of 10 times. It matters little that peak performance of those tools are pretty much the same, because the vast majority of buyers never look into it that far.

It's easy to forget that we as a community of enthusiastic tool users represent the best informed 1% of tool buyers. 

I suspect that, as always, Milwaukee will rely on heavy marketing to stay in the race long enough to wow us with something "better". Despite what they might like us to believe, I can't help but feel Milwaukee was caught off guard by Flexvolt. Maybe not, but I certainly get that feeling.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2017 at 3:52 AM, Conductor562 said:

I suspect that, as always, Milwaukee will rely on heavy marketing to stay in the race long enough to wow us with something "better". Despite what they might like us to believe, I can't help but feel Milwaukee was caught off guard by Flexvolt. Maybe not, but I certainly get that feeling.

I think they knew it was coming. Their voltage doesn't matter materials were out within minutes of the flexvolt announcement. What I think caught them was the fact that flexvolt tools have performed as well as they have. Milwaukee are the best marketers in the tool industry, so it's almost as if they truly believed their own hype in that case. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 8:13 AM, eightyseven said:

I'm trying to decide which one to get. I already have batteries for both platforms. TIA should do a whacker fight video.

I have the EGO and it is great and that would be my vote.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...