Woodworking benches

rrich1

1 minute ago, rrich1 said:

Lol. I know it's a workbench first. Little pizzaz wouldn't hurt though. I was thinking one strip on the long sides and maybe one in the legs. Nothing overdone.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Well....I'm not saying your bending to stylistic tendencies but....next thing you know you'll be wearing Bosch chinos like yours truly and dancing in front of your furniture grade work bench like Kenny Loggins in Footlose !!!!!!!!!

Just kidding though, I can assure you when I smack the cash down for a Veritas chain vise and a benchmade tail vise my girl will be getting waxed regularly ;)

• Like 1

I am all for the bling and craftsmanship on a bench!

I just know I dont get as much done as I should because I am trying to keep things need. 

Kinda like my tractor when i first got it. Got to get past the first scratch.

• Like 1

Well....I'm not saying your bending to stylistic tendencies but....next thing you know you'll be wearing Bosch chinos like yours truly and dancing in front of your furniture grade work bench like Kenny Loggins in Footlose !!!!!!!!!

Just kidding though, I can assure you when I smack the cash down for a Veritas chain vise and a benchmade tail vise my girl will be getting waxed regularly [emoji6]

Who says I don't know front of my stuff already? Lol

I saw that chain vice. It looked pretty sweet. That was another thing I was thinking about. If I saved money on the actual bench it would free up money for a Benchmade vise!

I went off the track with this one. I bought southern yellow pine and hickory. Only pic I got right now. Plan is to incorporate the hickory into the legs and top. Also the front of the leg vise will be hickory. Got some good pieces and look really nice. f57859fff4d81e38d659837d41df586e.jpg

few more pics of the hickory. the wide piece will be the front of the leg vise. Really want to get some of these pieces rough cut but wondering if i should wait a little longer before doing that or not. the syp is 8/4 pieces. the hickory is 4/4. 

650cc9d51157c5fe79661a59bdc92952.jpg9626b34ec4c2753600b911b9deaa47e1.jpg

• Like 3

Pics of the syp. Got the pieces for the top rough cut. Trying to mP out the rest of the pieces on the other. Board right now. I'm going to need to get another piece for sure. Not a big deal. It is cheap enough and thy have two smaller pieces that I saw that either would work. A whole 3 knots in 72bd ft of the syp. Really nice stuff. The Bosch 6 1/4 18v saw had just enough depth to cross cut it. 8df3fe8018384108e95b605b69dd06f0.jpg269cae4177267b4ab84c94e5d51d7425.jpg

• Like 4

Got some progress done today in between dealing with the kids and the wife at work. Jointed two sides to each top board. Little late tonight to plane the other side. Will do that tomorrow and hopefully get them glued up as well. Over filled the jointer overflow a few times. :Defc98e839fb8138a4cf9a3eedac36b77.jpg46495ccecde0e235d2e2bf5b14df0526.jpg1be7c65b38fd6d594788d6956bea13f0.jpg

• Like 2

Just finished this small work bench. Plans called for a 30 inch by 80 inch but that was way too big for what I wanted. So I reduced it to 24 by 48. Got the plan out of a "Wood" magazine article. Hoping to leave this one clear so I can do some  things on it. It was quick and easy and sturdy can't ask for anything more than that.   

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0761.JPG

IMG_0764 (1).JPG

• Like 11

I've gotten 4 of the 5 sections of the top glued together. Will do the 5th when I get off work tonight or in the morning. The top should be between 3 1/2" to 3 3/4" when it's all said and done. For the hickory strip I placed it one row in. I couldn't decide on one or two. At some point I will make some dog holes and wondering if I should have done another row of syp before the strip of hickory. Oh well. It will still be fine. The eventual bottom is pointed up right now. I'll do a quick pass on the jointer of the actual top side then plane down to actual thickness.

I'm currently looking for a leg vise screw and ma. They are expensive. Wood or metal kits are similarly priced. Any recommendations? I know the bench crafted would probably be my first choice but the wooden screw ones look nice too.

82e719ebb9eae155b0a66f61a84d9429.jpg4d36dadce8f8df5cdfa9824261f466ae.jpg

• Like 5

Got all the top glued and the top faces jointed. Tomorrow I will plane them to thickness and hopefully get them attached as one piece. Loving the hickory accent strips near the edges. 7548764858838387e1b0644b0c841ce1.jpg2856735f698d208447a34489bc7d8e0b.jpg

• Like 3

Looks great.

I know this is a probably a newb question, but why did you use random shorter boards?  I presume you'll trim it all down to a single length but why not start with boards more or less the same length to start with?

Cool guys!!

Southern yellow pine seems like one of those underrated woods, it's nice and sturdy for many applications, I've seen many older houses trimmed out in syp.... It can take more abuse than white pine for sure

• Like 1

Looks great.

I know this is a probably a newb question, but why did you use random shorter boards?  I presume you'll trim it all down to a single length but why not start with boards more or less the same length to start with?

I don't remember why I cut some shorter. I think there was a defect I didn't feel like planing out.

Boards are planed down to 3 5/8". Just need to glue them together. I think I'll do this in two phases. I'll do two sets of 2 and that will leave me with three sections for final glue up instead of 5. Less pieces to try and keep flat the better. This will also allow me to put them back into the planer if needed for some reason before it's all one piece.

I have the top on 3 sections right now. I left one of the sides smaller so I can drill bench dog holes easier with the drill press if I decide to out them in now. I will need to plane them one more time before final glue up. I forgot to put in biscuits on of these glue ups so it shifted vs the one with biscuits. That one barely raised up at all. I even tried to use cauls on the first one but it didn't help. 0fd9965c3de0187fe184caede79d3d7f.jpg5c0fd3ba0779b260a063f41e623c2f35.jpg

• Like 4

Got the three sections planed for the last time and cut the lengthy got them at 5'2". Gives me a little extra room and leeway if I need to cut anything off for more squareness. Got lines laid out for biscuits and I'll get this glued up after work! 250f6b972fe38385b2d7634af94c23d0.jpg

• Like 2