SetBuilder

1/4 in. x 1/2 in. Steel Square Socket Adapter

20 posts in this topic

Generally it's asking a lot of 1/4 to drive 1/2 stuff so I bet most will break at some point...but I'd try to get something made in Japan or Europe, check to see if the Makita adapter is made in Japan(though they might only have a wobble adapter), if not, try something like Wera/Felo/Wiha or if you don't mind spending some coin, Gedore.

 

Honestly, as much as I like Milwaukee as a brand, I don't buy their bits or adapters, the metal they use is too soft.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BMack37 said:

Generally it's asking a lot of 1/4 to drive 1/2 stuff so I bet most will break at some point...but I'd try to get something made in Japan or Europe, check to see if the Makita adapter is made in Japan(though they might only have a wobble adapter), if not, try something like Wera/Felo/Wiha or if you don't mind spending some coin, Gedore.

 

Honestly, as much as I like Milwaukee as a brand, I don't buy their bits or adapters, the metal they use is too soft.

Have to agree that it is asking a lot to go from 1/4 to 1/2. May I ask why that is necessary?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is going from 1/4" to 1/2" a big issue?  I can see going from 1/2 to 1/4" being an issue.

 

I use 1/4" drive in all three socket sizes and have never had an issue. Its 3/8" I used most often but I have used 1/2" on a 1/4 drive to install lug-nuts and then torqued them with a torque wrench do do the real tightening.

 

@BMack37 I am surprised you have not had good luck with Milwaukee bits. The recent surge stuff I have used is superior to anything I have tried over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, rrmccabe said:

Why is going from 1/4" to 1/2" a big issue?  I can see going from 1/2 to 1/4" being an issue.

 

I use 1/4" drive in all three socket sizes and have never had an issue. Its 3/8" I used most often but I have used 1/2" on a 1/4 drive to install lug-nuts and then torqued them with a torque wrench do do the real tightening.

 

@BMack37 I am surprised you have not had good luck with Milwaukee bits. The recent surge stuff I have used is superior to anything I have tried over the years.

 

I gave up on Milwaukee over a year ago, not sure if there are anything new.

 

I wouldn't say that going from 1/4 to 1/2 is a big issue but it's certainly more prone to breakage. I have used it myself but it depends on what you're doing with it really. You can break regular 1/4 impact bits too after some use, not surprising that driving a heavy socket with all that rotational mass(including the nut) would be likely to break the bit as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Milwaukee makes the gun and adapter, so why do they break?

 

I often need a 9/16 , 7/8 and 15/16 socket for steel deck bolts, crows feet, cheesebourghs and trusses. 

 

They dont need need to be killer tight. So I just use a 1/4 drive impact. Since I already own SK, Mac and Snap on 1/2 in drive impact sockets I prefer to use them. 

 

If I bought a larger impact then no one else would be able to loosen anything I tightened.

 

The shaft is still the same size. So if I was using a 3/8 9/16 socket on my 1/4 in impact why would that last any longer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am with you on this one @SetBuilder.

 

I think it should be fine and falls into what I would use the tool for as well.

 

I use it more for mechanical work than anything else.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they shouldn't break then why are they breaking? I told you why it's breaking and told you brands that should be more durable then you tell me they shouldn't break because Milwaukee makes the product...but they are. I really don't understand your objection to my post(s).

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt there is a truly high quality version to be had.

 

I've had a B&D branded set for probably 10 years. Can't say I've ever really put them to the test though. I bought 2 or 3 sets of them to install a metal roof. Now days I use them primarily in my M12 screw gun. I have 3/8" and 1/2" impacts, so I only really use them when I need additional impacts for helpers or something. Aside from that, I use the 1/4" way more than than the others. 

 

Sounds like a 1/2" compact impact might be worth considering 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BMack37 said:

If they shouldn't break then why are they breaking? I told you why it's breaking and told you brands that should be more durable then you tell me they shouldn't break because Milwaukee makes the product...but they are. I really don't understand your objection to my post(s).

I'm not objecting to your posts, just questioning I quess. 

 

I can see breaking 3/8 sockets if I used an adapter and used a 1/2 in drive gun or rachet on them, but not the other way around. 

 

I searched for an adapter in all of the brands you mentioned and I was unable to find any.

 

I also have a bunch of broken sockets from Mac and SK in my box, and Craftsmen recently replaced 5 ratchets. Tools just break I guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SetBuilder said:

I'm not objecting to your posts, just questioning I quess. 

 

I can see breaking 3/8 sockets if I used an adapter and used a 1/2 in drive gun or rachet on them, but not the other way around. 

 

I searched for an adapter in all of the brands you mentioned and I was unable to find any.

 

I also have a bunch of broken sockets from Mac and SK in my box, and Craftsmen recently replaced 5 ratchets. Tools just break I guess. 

 

Damn, I was looking because I just knew I've seen them...found them but they are 5/16 and 7/16, damn it sorry.

 

The one I've used has been Bosch but I haven't use it more than occasional. I haven't had a problem with any of their adapters, I have two of the same Bosch set. Dewalt and Irwin have them and Makita has the wobble. Makita is who I'd recommend out of those, based on reviews on Amazon it looks like they agree. I'd rate Makita gold bits as being about four times more durable than Milwaukee Shockwave bits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of soft metal, I twisted the long end of my Wera torx L-key today on a stubborn set screw.... Actually I applied too much force with a wrench on the short end...I think they are only meant for hand tightening/loosening ooœps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Speaking of soft metal, I twisted the long end of my Wera torx L-key today on a stubborn set screw.... Actually I applied too much force with a wrench on the short end...I think they are only meant for hand tightening/loosening ooœps

 

I thought you had the ball torx set like Jimbo...You twisted it? You didn't just break it? That's crazy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Speaking of soft metal, I twisted the long end of my Wera torx L-key today on a stubborn set screw.... Actually I applied too much force with a wrench on the short end...I think they are only meant for hand tightening/loosening ooœps

Used it as a cheater bar? No wonder why it bent, time to invest in some impact rates torx bits


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
I thought you had the ball torx set like Jimbo...You twisted it? You didn't just break it? That's crazy!

At least you can keep up with the tools I have because I sure as hell cant ha ha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BMack37 said:

 

You twisted it? You didn't just break it? That's crazy

 

:)

IMG_5643.JPG

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like Milwaukee still hasn't got their Shockwave Metallurgy correct yet. Folks were complaining a while back about bits shattering on the Phillips/Torx bits. You are adapting in the right direction, little driver to to big socket, the adapter shouldn't be breaking. It would be a different story if you were using a 3/4" impact gun, an adapter and 1/2" drive impact sockets. Split sockets and broken adapters would be expected at that point and even Snap-on and Mac will tell you those adapters come without a warranty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:


At least you can keep up with the tools I have because I sure as hell cant ha ha


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

haha, I have a crazy good memory, some things just stick. You bought them from Amazon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2017 at 1:36 AM, BMack37 said:

 

I thought you had the ball torx set like Jimbo...You twisted it? You didn't just break it? That's crazy!

 

Haha yeah twisted slightly and I realized that was stupid on my part... Eventually I was able to get the packing nut off the faucet cartridge and had to get a new handle and rebuild the faucet with new seals

 

18 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:


Used it as a cheater bar? No wonder why it bent, time to invest in some impact rates torx bits


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Yep, this sucker wasn't coming loose!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    11,567
    Total Members
    414
    Most Online
    Bradm
    Newest Member
    Bradm
    Joined