Milwaukee ope batteries

How do the older 3 amp an 5 amp batteries work in comparison to the new Millwakee 9.0 ones. I know it's 1/3 the amp hour but can someone help me understand how much different runtime an performance wise. 

My dad is gonna buy either the trimmer or trimmer kit. I already have almost 20 batteries for the m18 system. I don't have any 9.0 batteries. We will probably end up getting the kit just so I can get a 9.0 battery but is it really needed?

They(5.0 & 4.0 packs) will be sluggish and wear down the battery level more quickly.... But it will work, just not as well, and the performance difference is clearly noticable!! It's like the difference between my old Chevy with a naturally aspirated diesel, and my buddy with the same truck and motor, but he's got a turbo in his

@Fletcher94 an m18 2.0 battery is like a 4 cylinder gas pickup truck. It's the smallest of the bunch but also has the lowest power. Upgrade to an m18 4.0 or 5.0 and you are looking at something like a v6 pickup truck. A bit more power but also bigger in size and weight. An m18 HD 9.0 is like a v8 gas pickup. Lots of power and bigger as well. When you get into the dedicated ope batteries like the 54v and the 36v lines you upgrade to diesel engine trucks. More efficient when under load than the smaller batteries, more power, and much bigger. Pull a big trailer and the 4 cylinder will be able to pull the trailer but will perform the worst between the trucks.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

In theory, lithium batteries have a pretty flat discharge curve. That means the battery voltage drops little until it is almost discharged. It is voltage that detirmines power. Amp/hr is the run time and should be directly proportional to the number of Amp hrs of the battery. In practice the ability to hold the voltage might be a little worse. The analogies of big vs small engine are not really correct. A better analogy is the same engine with a bigger or smaller gas tank.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mycrossover said:

A better analogy is the same engine with a bigger or smaller gas tank.

Doesn't this only work in situations where you have the same amount of cells and same size of cell just different capacity per cell? example: m18 10  18650 cell 4.0 vs m18 10 18650 cell 5.0. Same engine different tank? m18 10 18650 cell 5.0 vs m18 15 21700 cell 12.0. Different engine different tank? m18 10 18650 cell 6.0 vs m18 10 21700 cell 6.0. Different engine same tank?

• Like 2

Mycrossover, do you see that date of some of these posts?
It’s poor forum etiquette to necro threads that are over a year old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What do you care? Somebody commented on my post. I have seen many old threads start again. I have no idea what you are talking about. Threads live forever.

• Like 1

What do you care? Somebody commented on my post. I have seen many old threads start again. I have no idea what you are talking about. Threads live forever.

You replied to a 15 month old post in the first place. That’s all. It’s just weird that you have replied to so many old, dead posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/25/2018 at 11:23 PM, HiltiWpg said:

Mycrossover, do you see that date of some of these posts?
It’s poor forum etiquette to necro threads that are over a year old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Mycrossover said:

8 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

You replied to a 15 month old post in the first place. That’s all. It’s just weird that you have replied to so many old, dead posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALRIGHT...

There is N-O-T-H-I-N-G wrong with posting or responding to an old topic. 

@Mycrossover if I haven’t done so, welcome to the forums and feel free to post away. I’ve been here for years and am a mod so please continue to do what you are doing unless you happen to spam us! 

I read the old posts every nowadays and post too. I miss a lot of the old members and it’s fun reading some of the old topics and bringing them up again. 

Thanks for joining the crew dude...or dudette....fellow crew member!