Small breaker/demo hammer recommendations

Turner85

Hi folks,

Ive a job coming up which involves stripping sand and cement render from an old granite wall. Looking to purchase a decent demo hammer for the job, something light enough but that can handle extensive work. Price range isnt a huge factor if i get a far superior machine for an extra couple of hundred id be happy to pay it.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

You'll have to be more specific as to what is light enough for your purpose. What weight range do you think you can handle for the task? 10, 15, 25lb class? 

Thats what i am unsure of. I dont know which weight class is sufficient for all day plaster stripping. If you look at most descriptions on small demo hammers it says plaster stripping/light chipping tile removal etc but i wouldn't trust some of the lighter ones to carry out the taskgor hours on end

Well I can't speak to your strength or stamina but to me having something a bit too big and heavy is preferable to something too small or light. I prefer to take a little punishment to increase my efficiency. 

I'd look at Hilti's combihammer line and see what you think. You can't go wrong with Hilti, not cheap but they really stand behind their products and they can take a ton of abuse. When I worked commerical we had 7 units of various sizes and over 5 years of daily continuous use we only ever had 2 of them break down, sent them in for repair, they sent them back, and keep on going. Given this is an extreme use case, they had many falls from scissor lifts and scaffolds/ladders, over 50 people handling them, and I wouldn't think you would match the useage in a year for one of these tools over your entire lifetime unless you're running crews of men. 

Again I can't speak to what weight you'd like best but here's the lineup: 

https://www.hilti.com/drilling-%26-demolition/combihammers

Thanks for the replies. Have a hilti store nearby might go and get a feel for some of there smaller demo hammers. I know they also offer to come on site and demonstrate there tools but think that might give my client the feeling there paying for it, which they would be right too ?

Bosch, and Hilti are the world leaders in concrete drilling, and demo, so you can't go wrong with either. Hilti will be more expensive

than the Bosch.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/hammers-23411-c/

here's the link for Bosch hammers. also keep in mind that there are chipping/demo hammers, and there are combination hammers. the combination hammers aren't going to hit as hard, but they can drill. Where the chipping hammers don't spin, but put all the power to hitting. a good combi hammer from bosch 11264. a good chipping hammer from bosch is the 11321. good luck.

Bosch, and Hilti are the world leaders in concrete drilling, and demo, so you can't go wrong with either. Hilti will be more expensive than the Bosch.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/hammers-23411-c/

here's the link for Bosch hammers. also keep in mind that there are chipping/demo hammers, and there are combination hammers. the combination hammers aren't going to hit as hard, but they can drill. Where the chipping hammers don't spin, but put all the power to hitting. a good combi hammer from bosch 11264. a good chipping hammer from bosch is the 11321. good luck.

The Bosch 11264 sells for $1049 cdn, the Bosch 11321 sells for $949 cdn.

The Hilti TE-50 is $799 cdn.

Hilti isn't more expensive than Bosch.

The Hilti warranty destroys all other warranties though.

Also, the Hilti is a kit that includes:

TE 50-AVR performance package

Item number 3553052

1x Combihammer TE 50-AVR 120V

1x TE detachable power cord

1x Case

1x Pointed chisel TE-YP SM 36

1x Hammer drill bit TE-YX 3/4" x 13"

Price / Unit

$799.00 / 1 Each

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 5/1/2017 at 10:52 AM, HiltiWpg said:

The Bosch 11264 sells for $1049 cdn, the Bosch 11321 sells for $949 cdn.

The Hilti TE-50 is $799 cdn.

Hilti isn't more expensive than Bosch.

The Hilti warranty destroys all other warranties though.

Also, the Hilti is a kit that includes:

TE 50-AVR performance package

Item number 3553052

1x Combihammer TE 50-AVR 120V

1x Case

1x Pointed chisel TE-YP SM 36

1x Hammer drill bit TE-YX 3/4" x 13"

Price / Unit

$799.00 / 1 Each

obviously you like your Hilti, more power to you, they are great tools, but i think your prices are skewed. i found the 11264 on amazon canada for 750.00, and the 11321 for 730.00. wherever you buy tools, change!

here in the lower 48, which is my reference point the home depot prices are,

TE50 $720.00

11264 $549.00

11321 $496.00

so you can see why i made my claim. sorry if it ruffled your feathers.

obviously you like your Hilti, more power to you, they are great tools, but i think your prices are skewed. i found the 11264 on amazon canada for 750.00, and the 11321 for 730.00. wherever you buy tools, change! here in the lower 48, which is my reference point the home depot prices are, TE50 $720.00 11264 $549.00 11321 $496.00

so you can see why i made my claim. sorry if it ruffled your feathers.

Ruffled? No sir. 

The TE50 is $799 for the whole kit in Canada, from HILTI, not some inflated, third party amazon price.  

How is it $720 in the states?

It should be $599 at the most. Are you getting pricing from Hilti or a 3rd party marking it up?

Hilti doesn't sell to companies unless its Home Depot etc, and even then, the prices are high.

Screenshot:

0f266217c5e14da23f15c64ccec68701.png

Id give the following advice : get a demo Hammerr for demo work. Not a combination hammer.

Demo hammers are mechanically 'simple' with not alot of moving parts. They can take the abuse of daily continues use.

Combination hammers have alot more moving parts and should mainly be used for drilling, and some occasional demo use if you forgot your demo hammer.

A tool for each job if you want em to last.

• Like 1