DCH293 1 1/8in SDS Plus

Hugh Jass

I just placed my order and I can't wait to test this baby out since there's practically no information out there about it yet, it's just gone on sale outside of preorder. Anyone else jump in yet or am I first? 

Delivers between May 4th and the 8th. 

28 minutes ago, Bremon said:

I've heard great things but haven't used it. Supposed to be a legit contender for its class and likely takes the crown from the 2715. 

Not a chance I don't think. The Milwaukee has a whole Joule more impact energy. Might beat it in other aspects (only one on paper is no load RPM) but I don't think drilling speed is one of them. Has fewer BPM as well. 

I think it's going to be great. 75% of what I'll use it for is tapcons of various sizes, and this will have more power than the Bulldog I've been using for years for the same purpose. 

Only thing that irks me is that the dust extraction attachment isn't going to be available for a while. If that were part of the kit with the 6ah's I would have bought that instead of the bare tool. Supposed to launch between Q1 and Q2 so hopefully not too long. 

Impact energy and no-load rpm are pretty straightforward. Rpm under load can change fairly drastically but how hard something hits is how hard something hits...

but god damn... M18 Fuel hits harder, spins faster, more blows per minute, and weighs less. Plus it's been on the market for years, and seems universally acclaimed. Umm...

1 hour ago, Bremon said:

Impact energy and no-load rpm are pretty straightforward. Rpm under load can change fairly drastically but how hard something hits is how hard something hits...

but god damn... M18 Fuel hits harder, spins faster, more blows per minute, and weighs less. Plus it's been on the market for years, and seems universally acclaimed. Umm...

Yea Fuel SDS's seem to just about always flush the competition for a whole generation. The kicker is runtime...and Dewalt is being mindful of that because of the dust extraction piggy backing the battery, which actually makes a lot of sense. Fuel doesn't have that and for working in finished spaces that you don't want to completely douche, it's a deal maker. If you took the Fuel and popped a piggy back system on it with the output it has, you'd likely get only half as many holes per amp hour as Dewalt can accomplish. 

It's valid statistics but unfair comparison if you're in the market for the dust extraction. 

5 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

Is that 399 bare @Hugh Jass ? I thought the dust extractor for the 273 worked on the 293..? ....I haven't pulled the trigger yet...but I'm probably going to follow you on that one...the flex sds 1"9/16 is just to big and heavy I think.....

No Amazon is running it at $369. Each iteration of tool has it's own proprietary dust solution and none of them are universal for any other tool AFAIK.

I looked at the Flexvolt too but it's honkin huge and would destroy the bits I need to push. 

Also worth mentioning, you can pick up a set of 5/32" Makita drill bits in a 25 pack for less than $1 a piece, all you have to do is read the reviews to understand just how stupid amazing this deal is if you're running lots of tapcons like I do: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MXA4QO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And 3/16" as follows at an equally good price: 

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-D-00832-25-4-Inch-Standard-25-Pack/dp/B002AJ86D2/ref=pd_bxgy_469_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002AJ86D2&pd_rd_r=YS7VFMQ2T2AH7JB4V4JZ&pd_rd_w=GvNGC&pd_rd_wg=jWajo&psc=1&refRID=YS7VFMQ2T2AH7JB4V4JZ#customerReviews

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

Great point on the runtime w a dust extractor vs not......never tried a Makita bit...usually get Bosch..probably because they are in my face at HD.....

If you read the reviews many say there is no difference in quality or cut between the two. Stop wasting money. You get almost 7 bits for the price of one Bosch bit. 

For me the 25 pack will probably be an annual supply. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/04/2017 at 5:33 AM, Hugh Jass said:

I just placed my order and I can't wait to test this baby out since there's practically no information out there about it yet, it's just gone on sale outside of preorder. Anyone else jump in yet or am I first? 

Delivers between May 4th and the 8th. 

In Australia we got a 54v version of this 20v max rotary. US didn't get a 54v sds plus ? 

On 30/04/2017 at 10:39 AM, Hugh Jass said:

Yea Fuel SDS's seem to just about always flush the competition for a whole generation. The kicker is runtime...and Dewalt is being mindful of that because of the dust extraction piggy backing the battery, which actually makes a lot of sense. Fuel doesn't have that and for working in finished spaces that you don't want to completely douche, it's a deal maker. If you took the Fuel and popped a piggy back system on it with the output it has, you'd likely get only half as many holes per amp hour as Dewalt can accomplish. 

It's valid statistics but unfair comparison if you're in the market for the dust extraction. 

You know the makita x2 rotary smokes the 2715 and the makita is only rated at 3 joules on paper. Milwaukee always blow the ratings out on paper out. Another example is the new fuel metal circ saw, the box states fastest on the market, however the makita bl metal can cut quicker. I reckon the dch293 will easily outperform the 2715. Biggest problem with the 2715 it gets hot very quickly and the batteries go into thermal overload, even the 9.0's 

4 minutes ago, Makita_2233 said:

You know the makita x2 rotary smokes the 2715 and the makita is only rated at 3 joules on paper. Milwaukee always blow the ratings out on paper out. Another example is the new fuel metal circ saw, the box states fastest on the market, however the makita bl metal can cut quicker. I reckon the dch293 will easily outperform the 2715. Biggest problem with the 2715 it gets hot very quickly and the batteries go into thermal overload, even the 9.0's 

Makita always modestly rates their tools yet still kicks everyones arse, look at the td 170, less torque than pretty much every top end impact yet it dances circles around them all, well except the triple hammer hitachi

• Like 1

Makita kicks everyone's ars ? That's insane.. First ,td170,not even close to beating Dewalt dcf877, not specs..real world use....the other crew I run uses only Makita corded and cordless, including the newest cordless tools....Makita is a third level company behind Dewalt and Milwaukee......the fuel sawzall kills the new AVR makita ...the 7.25 Makita cordless mitre sucks ....the circ saws,are a joke.......Makitas batteries charge fast and your gonna need a fast charge ,cuz they don't last long..

Garage use demos and real world building are two different worlds,,,,I give props when props are due a company,,..Flexvolt rocks,Fuel rocks,M12 rocks and 20v max tools are great....