DCH293 1 1/8in SDS Plus

Hugh Jass

Well who's got the bigger dick aside, here's my initial review of this sweet little monster. 

Up first: Out of the box the weight of this thing surprised me. It's like a full 4lbs heavier than my outgoing Bulldog Extreme SDS. That doesn't sound like a lot, but dropping a 5ah on the end and yes it's not a small lightweight unit while using it for one hand operation overhead. It's right at the limit of weight for that, which is fine for me I think.  

But it hits...and it hits hard. I used it today for chipping a small spalling repair job with a bull point chipping bit, and it would just bury that thing in a hurry, flaking off hard concrete with ease as I worked on exposing all the compromised steel. On an efficiency scale I'd put it around 30-40% more effective than the Bulldog Extreme in my preliminary test, and on par with my coworkers larger corded Bosch unit. I need a side by side for comparison for this though, and I don't know the model number for his unit so more on this later. 

On to comfort, I'm a big fan of Dewalt's grips (and that's why I don't use any Makita, I always feel like they come up short on this point), and at first I won't lie this one had me concerned, it has a bit of a bulge in the center of the grip. Carrying it around just hanging by hand it's really noticeable to me, but once I put it into practice I didn't notice it at all after that. I ran about 9ah's worth of chipping for this task and I have to say it was very, very comfortable in use. The AVT is fantastic, zero punishment on my end and you can really see it working as you push and release with pressure even when not operating the tool, they did a great job here. After about an hours worth of giving it hell I felt great with it in hand, little to no body fatigue. 

Fit and finish. All parts of this unit seem to be well in order, the SDS chuck has a tight fitting sleeve at the end to help keep the grease in the gun, the LED is a nice touch, especially on giving you warning that the battery is nearly depleted, even in bright daylight it was very obvious my first battery was close to done which is awesome. Mode selection feels good, switches effortlessly. That said, I do have a gripe here. The trigger for me is a little too heavy, and I caught myself at times letting go inadvertently after prolonged use with the resistance. I understand the industry is sliding away from trigger locks, but if you can't lock it should be very easy to hold. Even if the initial breakover was difficult but holding was effortless it would be A-Ok to me. I mean this is a minor gripe here but in the light of honest and through reviewing, it's important for the basic function of the tool to be comfy and not give me trigger finger. Maybe with time this will lighten up as well as the spring ages.  

Preliminary summary: This thing rocks at chipping, even surpassing my expectations. I need to test drilling soon and I'll get back to you all once I've done more testing but overall I think this thing is going to give me years of service and do precisely what I aimed to use it for while smoking the performance of the old SDS. It was soo, sooooo nice not stepping on my cord while in operation, and not having to roll one out and roll it up once I was done put a smile on my face. I look forward to retiring my old Bulldog SDS. Good riddance, fuck cords. I also will be ordering the HEPA attachment once that releases as well so I'll be able to give some insight into how that performs as well. 

So far it's a solid buy in my opinion, if you're on the fence rest assured it's not a weak piece. 

More to come. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting reading on the various ratings of these different machines. The problem I'm finding is that my Milwaukee M28 sds, with its claimed 4.1 joules, is too powerful and keeps snapping my chisel bits at the chuck end. I've got a personal best of three busted chisels before lunch! 

I've now got a Dewalt 323 flexvolt, claimed 2.8 joules. Hopefully this will still be able to cut chases in to masonry, but without busting bits every five minutes. It is a weighty machine, but not heavy enough to be a nuisance (unless you're constantly drilling overhead!).

Good review BTW. 

On 2017-05-09 at 5:50 PM, Framer joe said:

Makita kicks everyone's ars ? That's insane.. First ,td170,not even close to beating Dewalt dcf877, not specs..real world use....the other crew I run uses only Makita corded and cordless, including the newest cordless tools....Makita is a third level company behind Dewalt and Milwaukee......the fuel sawzall kills the new AVR makita ...the 7.25 Makita cordless mitre sucks ....the circ saws,are a joke.......Makitas batteries charge fast and your gonna need a fast charge ,cuz they don't last long..

Garage use demos and real world building are two different worlds,,,,I give props when props are due a company,,..Flexvolt rocks,Fuel rocks,M12 rocks and 20v max tools are great....

I don't know how I missed this but couldn't disagree more. They are a top tier company that makes top tier tools in a wider range of developed countries than red or yellow. Impacts, circ saws, recips. etc. All high quality and better than red (including my Fuel Sawzall). 

• Like 1

No way Bman....they make a lot of tools for sure ,,,they don't last...the batteries are a joke...no power compared to Dewalt or fuel.....I literally use them side by side with my crews Dewalt tools...everyday.....specs are specs Not real world...

.....of course by this I mean I respectfully disagree with your assessment .....not to mention they have a lot of compatibility problems within their own line

• Like 1

You use them side by side? What, brushed compared to Fuel and XR? ? I don't see how you could come to that conclusion any other way. 

Whatever their top line impact driver is smokes the 2753, which is a better tool than the 887. 

Their top end drill and hammer drill smoke the 2703/2704 and 991/996.

The corded AVT recip only competes with the Super Sawzall. The X2 brushless outdoes FlexVolt, the single BL outdoes the Fuel.

The X2 rear-handle is up there with FlexVolt. The BL 6.5" outdoes the Fuel. 

Hell, even their brushed old planer outdoes the M18 and the XR Dewalt. 

They're quality tools; testing shows it, reviews show it, and my first hand experience shows it. They likely even have a wider lineup than M18 and 20v Max to boot. They have their disappointments like any company, and the dud batteries and crappy ones without the star on them or battery gauges are what kept me from spending money on them when I decided on Fuel 3+ years ago but it's 2017 and the tides have turned. Hearing and seeing what Milwaukee QC and repair track record is like makes me realize it's a damn good thing they have a 5 year warranty, or they'd have no customers. 

• Like 1

Ok,,,so I agree on the Milwaukee warranty statement ...Makita brushless xdt13 impact...no no no .nothing is better then the 887 .....forget specs...I'll bet anyone any amount....anytime........as for ..the Makita AVT corded JR3070CT sawzall...please ,not bad but not close to the Flex....the 36v mitresaw XSL02 is nothing compared to the 20v max 18v mitre..........and the fuel 2753 is not close to the 887.,,,,cmon man

......see my friend ...I believe most of the folks watch YouTube vids for "facts" test done by anyone with a camera......REAL world ...as in using these cordless tools everyday building houses....in rain,heat,snow...not drilling into logs or driving lags into 2x4 in a vise in a garage ...

....yes side by side literally...I run two companies working together building custom homes....1 company only uses Makita.....1 only uses Dewalt...so two guys can be truss locking a 24" lvl beam at the same time using different tools...

never said not quality tools,,or that they don't have the most cordless tools...I said Dewalt and Milwaukee are better.....oh we will see if the rear handle circ is equal to the flex....it should be it's 36v at 12ah(2/6ah) and it does look impressive....again

Tests on YT are not real tests or real world....most are skewed to their sponsor who pays the most...........I do love your passion for tools though! Keep up the good work....

• Like 1

I owned a 2753 and I own an 887 man; the Fuel is more than just "close" lmao. Take the yellow subglasses off. The 887 is good but it's no Makita. We run all Dewalt at work, and work the shit out of a fleet of 887s. My opinion isn't from screwing around with a 2x4 and vice in my garage (but wood is wood, so I don't see how one test is more legitimate than the other anyway; some LVL cutoff in my garage is an easier test than the LVL in the attached garage on a house you're building?) I kept the 887 over the 2753 because I prefer the 791 and 996 to 2701 and 2704, and want to stay on one platform. It's okay to admit yellow has some weaknesses. Until 11 months ago they had more weaknesses in the cordless realm than strengths lol.

I was also comparing the brushless 18x2 to the FlexVolt, and it's the superior unit. FlexVolt recip is like a big guy who's not as strong as he should be; "big for nothing". When FlexVolt gets orbital (and hopefully a hook) it will dominate, until then it's the glaring weakness in a strong lineup and the only FlexVolt tool in the core line I don't (and won't) own. 

The makita cordless mitre sucks, yes, single bevel is trash. 

Ok,,,so I agree on the Milwaukee warranty statement ...Makita brushless xdt13 impact...no no no .nothing is better then the 887 .....forget specs...I'll bet anyone any amount....anytime........as for ..the Makita AVT corded JR3070CT sawzall...please ,not bad but not close to the Flex....the 36v mitresaw XSL02 is nothing compared to the 20v max 18v mitre..........and the fuel 2753 is not close to the 887.,,,,cmon man

......see my friend ...I believe most of the folks watch YouTube vids for "facts" test done by anyone with a camera......REAL world ...as in using these cordless tools everyday building houses....in rain,heat,snow...not drilling into logs or driving lags into 2x4 in a vise in a garage ...

....yes side by side literally...I run two companies working together building custom homes....1 company only uses Makita.....1 only uses Dewalt...so two guys can be truss locking a 24" lvl beam at the same time using different tools...

never said not quality tools,,or that they don't have the most cordless tools...I said Dewalt and Milwaukee are better.....oh we will see if the rear handle circ is equal to the flex....it should be it's 36v at 12ah(2/6ah) and it does look impressive....again

Tests on YT are not real tests or real world....most are skewed to their sponsor who pays the most...........I do love your passion for tools though! Keep up the good work....

Respectfully butting in....

The flex is 60v so it should still be more powerful than the 36v makita, just how I read your comment, now on the flip said and I may have worded myself poorly to spark this but the high end makita stuff is just and good and powerful as red and yellow if not more, the xp07 although rated lower still kicks the 2704s arse, not sure about the 996 that drills from another planet lol

But to your point there is a TON of makita shit on the market that can give it a bad name, I mean come on how many times you need to release a flag ship impact.

A lot of the kits ship with a 6 year old impact that still has a hamster running on a wheel so shame on Makita

At the end of the day, speaking in flag ship models, every color has some kick ass tools, no line is perfect, at least makita doesn't make you buy in a new platform...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I owned a 2753 and I own an 887 man; the Fuel is more than just "close" lmao. Take the yellow subglasses off. The 887 is good but it's no Makita. We run all Dewalt at work, and work the shit out of a fleet of 887s. My opinion isn't from screwing around with a 2x4 and vice in my garage (but wood is wood, so I don't see how one test is more legitimate than the other anyway; some LVL cutoff in my garage is an easier test than the LVL in the attached garage on a house you're building?) I kept the 887 over the 2753 because I prefer the 791 and 996 to 2701 and 2704, and want to stay on one platform. It's okay to admit yellow has some weaknesses. Until 11 months ago they had more weaknesses in the cordless realm than strengths lol.

I was also comparing the brushless 18x2 to the FlexVolt, and it's the superior unit. FlexVolt recip is like a big guy who's not as strong as he should be; "big for nothing". When FlexVolt gets orbital (and hopefully a hook) it will dominate, until then it's the glaring weakness in a strong lineup and the only FlexVolt tool in the core line I don't (and won't) own. 

The makita cordless mitre sucks, yes, single bevel is trash. 

I'm not a fan of desalts plastic, feels cheap compared to Milwaukee

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me Dewalt wins because I think they have the best grips on the market, and the 887 is a shining example. I'd keep the 887 even if a competitor produced twice the torque simply because I enjoy the ergonomics that much.

These things are already getting so powerful and fast they're snapping 1/4in tapcons out here like they're plastic. I'm good with that personally. If I want more, I'm grabbing the 1/2in impact.  

• Like 3

Done beating that dead horse ...

.......I appreciate Makita strong line of cordless tools and new rear handle....but after seeing them in use everyday ....I'm personally not a fan( they do have a good fan) ....I don't buy all Dewalt tools ....but I do love the abuse Dewalt tools can take..  whether the most powerful or not........

ON TO NEW DEWALT TOOLS....dcn 680  Bring it On Already!! More POWA! 

@JimboS1ice...Dewalt only has 2platforms....20v and 60v...there is no 12v...and they still honor the 18v line.......Milwaukee,Makita,Rigid Bosch...have 12v and 18v.......Dewalts 20v line has most of everything you need  .....so it's easy...guys/gals can buy into 20v max and have most of the  tools they will ever need and powerful enough to do most jobs...especially with the new 20v max XR circ.....BUT....if you NEED more POWA.....

............GO Flexvolt and ",,,?Feel The Power Of The Force Luke Skywalker."....join the millions of framers,Remodelers,construction sites,extreme DIY guys, who want the Most Powerful Kick Ass Cordless Tools Around!!!!!!!!' (except the sawzalll) lol...

Feel the force,stay away from the Dark Side (red/teal) ...kidding !!'!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Framer joe said:

@JimboS1ice...Dewalt only has 2platforms....20v and 60v...there is no 12v...and they still honor the 18v line.......Milwaukee,Makita,Rigid Bosch...have 12v and 18v.......Dewalts 20v line has most of everything you need  .....so it's easy...guys/gals can buy into 20v max and have most of the  tools they will ever need and powerful enough to do most jobs...especially with the new 20v max XR circ.....BUT....if you NEED more POWA.....

............GO Flexvolt and ",,,?Feel The Power Of The Force Luke Skywalker."....join the millions of framers,Remodelers,construction sites,extreme DIY guys, who want the Most Powerful Kick Ass Cordless Tools Around!!!!!!!!' (except the sawzalll) lol...

Feel the force,stay away from the Dark Side (red/teal) ...kidding !!'!!!!!!!!

Only problem is the evil Yellow giant (just kidding) released the Flex circ before the 20v XR circ, you gotta admit it was marketing to get people into flex, better saw or not I hate when companies do that type of trash and we all know they all do it, Milwaukee did it with the gen 2 fuel and 2 months later you have the One-Key garbage, why not just release it at once 

And I apologize if I came across with knocking your love for yellow, once upon a time I had a considerable amount of Dewalt but what I wanted at the time they didn't provide and they still have yet to release a Brushless Compact Impact wrench ( I know its coming, thats Dewalts story and they're sticking to it! Sucks they abandoned 12v, 12v BL tools are awesome)

Alright I'm done now lol

2 platforms is how I see Dewalt as well; 20/60. We have an 885 at work that we can reliably set on fire by driving wood screws, blow the flame out and keep going lol. 

Agreed w/ @JimboS1ice re: shady release orders: fuel and flex alike. 

Back on the SDS train it's looking like the DCH293 has taken the crown ? from the 2715!

Only problem is the evil Yellow giant (just kidding) released the Flex circ before the 20v XR circ, you gotta admit it was marketing to get people into flex, better saw or not I hate when companies do that type of trash and we all know they all do it, Milwaukee did it with the gen 2 fuel and 2 months later you have the One-Key garbage, why not just release it at once 

And I apologize if I came across with knocking your love for yellow, once upon a time I had a considerable amount of Dewalt but what I wanted at the time they didn't provide and they still have yet to release a Brushless Compact Impact wrench ( I know its coming, thats Dewalts story and they're sticking to it! Sucks they abandoned 12v, 12v BL tools are awesome)

Alright I'm done now lol

DCF890 - Brushless compact impact wrench

Been out 4 or 5 months now.

2 minutes ago, Bremon said:

I owned one. I sold it. It's underwhelming to say the least. You don't hear much because it came and went like a wet fart. 

Isn't it just a 887 with a swapped Anvil? shit I did that before it was cool!

@JimboS1ice....I hear ya ..I complain about that shit all the time...it's fucked up what companies do ...I'd love 1 platform but never gonna happen...I'm mostly Dewalt because I wanted to be cordless doing decks ...cordless framers,hanger guns,finishnguns.....neva apologize for a comment....it's all cool....Bremon gives me shit all the time.but I appreciate his input and all input....but I love this forum...and the different opinions about tools

........I  never knew about Festool till I came on here....I like toolguyd too...

....no fan, no chair,(hey my garage needs a Dewalt chair and fan,I have a Dewalt clock..) no mid size brushless impact, no trim router, no orbit sander ,no cordless  compressor, no heater, no 10" cordless mitre or tablesaw, no 1 platform, no lights, no good sawzall, .....so ya far from perfect but what they have is quite good....when companies push each other , we all win !!!'

• Like 2

Just now, Framer joe said:

@JimboS1ice....I hear ya ..I complain about that shit all the time...it's fucked up what companies do ...I'd love 1 platform but never gonna happen...I'm mostly Dewalt because I wanted to be cordless doing decks ...cordless framers,hanger guns,finishnguns.....neva apologize for a comment....it's all cool....Bremon gives me shit all the time.but I appreciate his input and all input....but I love this forum...and the different opinions about tools

........I  never knew about Festool till I came on here....I like toolguyd too...

....no fan, no chair,(hey my garage needs a Dewalt chair and fan,I have a Dewalt clock..) no mid size brushless impact, no trim router, no orbit sander ,no cordless  compressor, no heater, no 10" cordless mitre or tablesaw, no 1 platform, no lights, no good sawzall, .....so ya far from perfect but what they have is quite good....when companies push each other , we all win !!!'

They really came out swinging with the cordless nailers, cordless flooring nailer, genius

@JimboS1ice yeah it is, it's nice and small but hits as hard as flowery perfume compared to the 2754. 

@Framer joe I don't give you that much crap ? or maybe I'm turning into the ranting old man on TIA and give everyone crap. Tough to say lol. 

Reviews and TIA feedback on the 293 is buy! buy! buy! Stocks in the 2715 Fuel Co are sell! sell! sell! Yellow hits hard and shakes the user less which means no forced early retirement lol.