TCT Spyder Hole Saw Review

Hugh Jass

If you don't have a set, pony up and buy it and have no regrets. These things are not cheap but holy (pun intended) shit boys these things are serious. 

What is so great you ask? Well, you can cut Hardwoods, MDF, Brick, Tile, Fiber Cement, Gypsum, Cellular Concrete, and anything inbetween. Long gone are the days of sacrificial hole saws, smoking and burning lumber with dull teeth, and getting cores stuck in the bit. This is engineered to rapidly eject the cores at the push of a button. Also it's compatible with existing hole saws meaning no switching of arbors if you want to go back to the stoneage hole saws if yesteryear. Not only can you also slide the hole saw up the arbor and cut at extreme angles that you just can't do with normal systems, you can stack hole saws meaning upsizing a hole you already cut is easy as that girl you got VD from in High School.

So with all this badassery you're asking yourself what isn't so great about them then, there must be something...and you'd be right. These are very aggressive hole saws, they will not cut super clean because they only have a few teeth doing all the work but they cut exceptionally fast as a result. Other than that, the system is perfect. Only other thing that sucks is the case it comes in is kinda wimpy plastic, these really deserve a blow mold case...but for the quality of the product I'm perfectly okay with them cutting cost on the cases to provide me with exceptional hardware that's inside. 

I give this set a 9.5/10. 

Quick video explaining the above: 

• Like 2

Thanks for the insight, I always forget these are available at Lowe's here and forget to give them a try, one of our guys has some and they work great.

My main use of hole saws is wood and metal so I keep Lenox bimetal hole saws for metal and the big hawgs for wood. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just bought some Starrett TCT cutters, I'm hoping they'll survive the odd nail strike better than a flat bit. Not the cleanest of holes, but good enough. I'm also hoping they'll cut through lathe and plaster ceilings without having to sacrifice a standard hole saw. 

• 8 months later...