Simple bookcases

rrich1

Sister in law wanted some bookcases built for her school books. I got the dimensions from her and started them. They are 3/4" red oak ply with red oak for edge banding. The stain is cherry (to hopefully match the fireplace in her room). Original plan was to dado the shelves in but I got ahead of myself and edge banned them too quickly. So pocket holes it was. They are rock solid and not going anywhere. aed91f311afc6ccc826c05528ce7792e.jpg96a459c61b3d94d5477d8e744dfb6605.jpg4c8d8295720451f807be15fdc0d1aef3.jpgb7e4320ba7d7e70d962b8313189f7f32.jpgd95c85cdb096b0eb0c3f400c5c173739.jpg7c865c11d1e79543db28ee12f5bcf388.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 9

This look great. So did you card scrape the face to match or was that just for glue.

I am currently watching a back episode in my Rob Cosman class where he is building a chest of drawers. He left the face extra wide and hand planed it down to the finish plywood. Its quite a process and not much room for error.  I need to practice.

But nice job !

Wow is that sharp, that grain is awesome!

Thanks. Oak isn't my favorite but it turned out nice.

This look great. So did you card scrape the face to match or was that just for glue.

I am currently watching a back episode in my Rob Cosman class where he is building a chest of drawers. He left the face extra wide and hand planed it down to the finish plywood. Its quite a process and not much room for error.  I need to practice.

But nice job !

Thanks. I used a card scraper to get the edge banding down to the plywood. Then sanded it. I hadn't messed with the plane yet at that point so didn't feel comfortable trying it that way. Card scraper worked really well.

6 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Thanks. Oak isn't my favorite but it turned out nice.

Thanks. I used a card scraper to get the edge banding down to the plywood. Then sanded it. I hadn't messed with the plane yet at that point so didn't feel comfortable trying it that way. Card scraper worked really well.

Oak is classic though, a little cliche but its such a beautiful grain IMO

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2017 at 9:16 PM, BMack37 said:

Agreed, it looks good in that stain too. Plus it's different than the dark walnut everyone uses on oak.

I use Minwax fruitwood oil on personal stuff. I have done a fair bit of staining at work with oak and I don't remember using dark walnut. I have used Jacobean which is fairly dark. Jacobean plus amber shelac equals aged 70's dark cabinet look. 

2 hours ago, Jronman said:

I use Minwax fruitwood oil on personal stuff. I have done a fair bit of staining at work with oak and I don't remember using dark walnut. I have used Jacobean which is fairly dark. Jacobean plus amber shelac equals aged 70's dark cabinet look. 

They're pretty close in color, jacobean has a grey hue which makes it looked aged. Dark Walnut makes it look like the veneer you get on Walmart furniture.

Minwax-stain-colors-tested-on-red-oak-ha