New stuff heading our way

Jronman

Isn't the Dewalt event like a week after Milwaukee? I think last year was Flexvolt announced...I remember counting down at work till 9am or so and jumping outta my boots with excitement...watching every video I could find......I was mesmerized...stunned...excited......I'm not an inside guy so I had no idea what was coming...and I only joined this forum last November......

Then Milwaukee tried crashing the party the same day with a anti flex video comparison........

I look forward to Milwaukees event and Dewalt of course

• Like 1

I see the whole dual battery thing good for miter saws and table saws, but thats about it. After that you are just adding unnecessary weight. I'm a milwaukee fan boy and I can't see myself ever using a 9.0 battery on a "handheld" tool. 

I recently ran a cordless Ridgid laminate router with a 4.0 battery and it was just top heavy and was almost as heavy as a Porter Cable 690 with half the power. So it was kind of a pointless cordless tool in my eyes. 

The Dewalt also has an anti kick back feature which is great in my opinion and you can cut on both sides of the rail. This is one reason why I went this way. Plus, I read several people saying the TS55 motor is underpowered. I wanted to cut butcher blocks so this was a big concern of mine. The only problem with the Dewalt track is that they are not compatible with most accessories that are made for the Festool tracks (even third parties ones) such as parallel guides because they don't have a small T channel on the side. But I didn't mind because most of them are too expensive for what they are. I plan to build a MFT table clone one of these days with 80-20 or bosch rexroth extrusions. I can't believe they are selling this table 700 USD with no accessories.

I've been using the Ryobi cordless trim router with the 4ah for years ( because no one had one)  of course I'm only using round over ,straight ,chamfer bits...it has tons of power and run time....I don't even notice the battery on top to be honest @SetBuilder.........is that new rigid one heavier? I have to be cordless or bring a generator ....

..I'm with @Bremon on using 9ah on many other tools besides stationary....I love it on my flex circ saw...

I guess its because I work in a shop environment and not in the field.  My cordless circular saw is just a 6 1/2 in and thats all I need. We have corded worm drives in the knack box, but rarely use them. 

I have the corded version of the Ridgid router and did not like the cordless because of the extra weight of the battery. 

But I'm mostly building with 1x3s or 1x6s cutting lots of MDF or 3/4 ply, my tool box is on wheels and always close by. My work area has 4 sliding miter saws and two table saws.   If I was doing residential construction then my tool choice would probably be different. 

8 hours ago, Framer joe said:

Ah.....I know your a set builder ,figured you mostly worked on site...but a shop guy has power everywhere. Lucky you....why bother with cordless....cool profession btw....

I prefer cordless regardless of if I have power or not. If I have hundreds of outlets in front of me in a shop with plenty of power I will pick cordless tools every time. Cords are accidents waiting to happen. If you got multiple tools plugged in your bound to trip on a cord eventually, get them tangled, or a cord is going to snag on a corner then you gotta fuss with adjusting the cord. I foresee in the next 10 to 20 years that if nothing game changing comes from smaller corded tools that they will be a thing of the past.

9 hours ago, Jronman said:

I prefer cordless regardless of if I have power or not. If I have hundreds of outlets in front of me in a shop with plenty of power I will pick cordless tools every time. Cords are accidents waiting to happen. If you got multiple tools plugged in your bound to trip on a cord eventually, get them tangled, or a cord is going to snag on a corner then you gotta fuss with adjusting the cord. I foresee in the next 10 to 20 years that if nothing game changing comes from smaller corded tools that they will be a thing of the past.

That is one of the nice things about Festool cords. Just run one cord and un plug from the tool as needed.

I have an old Milwaukee screw gun where the cord had a twist lock on the handle similar to Festool,

I wish all manufacturers had something similar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SetBuilder said:

That is one of the nice things about Festool cords. Just run one cord and un plug from the tool as needed.

I have an old Milwaukee screw gun where the cord had a twist lock on the handle similar to Festool,

I wish all manufacturers had something similar.

Yep really like it too. It's not hard to make a similar system by yourself though.