2860 mid torque impact wrench

Biggie

I was just playing around with my new impact and thought I would give a first impression review.  Its very impressive just how much power it has for its size and weight.  I used a 3/4" structural bolt to do a little comparing with a dewalt dcf889, m18 fuel high torque 2763, m18 2662, m18 fuel compact 2755 and the new m18 fuel mid torque 2860.  There was nothing scientific about it just tightening with one impact wrench and seeing if the other could remove it and vise versa.

Like you would imagine the fuel high torque 2763 is still the top dog.  The 2755 while being strong for a compact it just doesn't compete with the other impacts wrenches in my test I just included it more for a visual size comparison.

Both the dcf889 and the m18 2662 are older high torque brushed models and I found them very comparable in torque to the mid torque 2860.  But if you let it hammer on the bolt for 5 seconds or so the mid torque was able tighten the bolt to the point where the other two couldn't remove it.  With a 2-3 second impact, which is all the longer I would typically hit a bolt for, the other two were able to remove the nut.

• Like 3

They did good on this one! 

Anybody wonder how a Hydraulic impact wrench would perform? I know I have. I wonder if the larger bolts would require a more solid hammer from a conventional anvil than hydraulic could provide

The same sized tool wouldn't perform well for the same reason the surge fails with large fasteners. Seized bolts need a large amount of torque to loosen up. Impact wrenches can hit those numbers for a fraction of a second at a time, a hydraulic drive hits a number for a longer timespan. A high torque Surge that could do what the 2763 can do would be so big we would think it was a ridgid. 

• Like 1

I know the high torque impacts have their place and I guess if I was dealing with large fastners all the time it would be my go to.  But I have 3 compacts and 1 2763 on my truck and none of the crew touch the 2763 unless it's absolutely neccesary.  For me the mid torque will almost completely replace the high torque, but 90% of our fastners are 5/16"-1/2" and it's extremely rare to deal with anything over 1".

• Like 1

I think it's the pretty much standard practice for most people that the high torque would be the last resort and not the go-to. Thing is a big heavy awkward pig. When you need it, you need it though and it usually comes through with flying colours. 

I think it's the pretty much standard practice for most people that the high torque would be the last resort and not the go-to. Thing is a big heavy awkward pig. When you need it, you need it though and it usually comes through with flying colours. 

Good for running 10" lags through big timber I wouldn't try anything else ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BK13 said:

Man, I want one of these and you're NOT helping...

LOL

Same here brotha!! I love my 2763?but it's size really makes it hard to get into certain places and I think this lil beast will be a awesome addition to the red fam