Milwaukee hardline, red sticks, gloves, tapes - oztooltalk toolkit review

dwain

great video guys... only milwaukee level I have is this one and all I can say is if you place it on metal you have to almost break it lose because of the magnets....

Capture.PNG

That was a fun video Dwain, you guys are always entertaining. My thoughts on the gear mentioned;

1) Good gloves are always nice, fingerless won't fly many places but the one with the knuckle covering seems really handy.

2) I hate the magnets on Milwaukee tapes, they make measuring anything and everything a pain in the ass, stick to everything but what I want to measure, and collect tons of shrapnel off sites to inject into your fingers. Hate. Magnetic. Tapes. That said, I do enjoy Milwaukees more general purpose tapes and have a handful of them.

3) tool bags...those are a miss for me. 22" is too big but I want a hard top. That plastic lid on the narrower unit would be great. 18" just has that extra maneuverability on site through doors and past equipment.

4) knives; I was pumped for hardline but reading up on knives there are apparently many quality manufacturers of knives that make nicer knives for the same money in USA and other first world countries so TTI stacking their marketing budget on the back of cheap labor is a miss for me.

5) red stick is the biggest miss of all. I wanted to buy one until I saw they're as expensive, potentially more, than my Stabilas, which makes them more expensive than Sola. Hearing about the amount of them that are out of level from the word go is another letdown. It's a level, not a baseball bat, I'm not going to be hitting durability-testing home runs on tape measures with them. I'll pay top dollar for a high quality German level. I will spend 0 dollars on an equally high priced Chinese bat with some vials in it. That small billet level has enough style points that I may impulse buy it if I find a deal on it lol. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

I think it's all about perspective, as an electrician fingerless gloves are awesome and you pretty much have to have a tape measure with magnets!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It's a blessing and a curse lol, measuring saw cuts, especially band saw, its great having a magnet to stick to the blade. Every second cut I need to wipe off the shavings or my cut is out a /16th though lol. 

Thin nitrile dipped gloves are infinitely more valuable to me, working with various solvents as well as burrs on steel, etc. all fingerless will do for me is get me hurt. for cleaner work they'd be quite nice. I've been on a large number of commercial sites who want full coverage with gloves though. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2017 at 11:40 AM, Bremon said:

4) knives; I was pumped for hardline but reading up on knives there are apparently many quality manufacturers of knives that make nicer knives for the same money in USA and other first world countries so TTI stacking their marketing budget on the back of cheap labor is a miss for me.

There are plenty of knife companies that make much better knives at way lower prices. If you want to spend useless cash on a knife buy a ZT at the least. Tool companies making knives is stupid. Shit, I can recommend tons of knife clones that are cheap as shit that will last 40 times more than a Hardline...

• Like 2

I have not heard good things about the redsticks. Honestly, I am with the post above... if I was going to buy a level owned by Milwaukee I would go with Empire before the redstick. With that, since they are similarly priced to the Stabila, why wouldn't you just buy something that is almost a 100% to read plumb and level accurately?

9 hours ago, dwain said:

Interesting, what negatives have you heard about the redsticks? They are overpriced perhaps, but probably the sturdiest looking levels I've come across...

First, I have heard that they do not read plumb or level very consistently. I have watched a few videos showing the level being messed up at the vial. I hope that it was just something that was minor in production, but just watching a few videos on that makes me skeptical on their performance. I guess for the same price I would rather just get a stabila, which is a lifetime warranty.

Would love the gloves I love the Milwaukee screwdrivers I have as back ups and my bit set and the drill bits and hole saws are great. My local flea has usa drill bits in all sizes for $1 I cant stop buying them. I want the 1/2 impact next badly.